Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: A present fom Skye.

Default A present fom Skye.

It looks like the contents from my rubbish bin are going to have a home in Caithness before me!
    Skye waste is set to be transfered to Caithness WHFPressFRiday22nd.
    Apparently our landfill site will be full next year and we cant afford to extend it .Our rubbish is sooo slight you have room for it in your Seater site.
    Excuse my ignorence but how is this going to save money? are Caithness not charghing Skye@lochalsh, are there no costs involved to transport it.What about the wear and tear on vehicles ,roads etc.?
    SUrely you've got eneogh rubbish of your own without having ours.
    Never judge someone until you have walked two moons in their moccasins.

Native American Indian saying.

Its just the first step to turning Caithness into one giant rubbish tip. Our benches at nice clifftop locations are being removed so tourists dont stop. Dounreay is getting wound down so that there wont be many jobs to keep our youngsters in the area. Very soon we will be a county full of retired folk with a tescos and an asdas for cheap shopping and a great big dump for nuclear waste. We will be overun with windmills and big pylons to transport the electricity south to where it is needed ruining our views. Nobody will come and stay they might use Caithness as a place to get to Orkney but that will be it. Grass will grow up through the middle of the roads as us poor folk will no longer afford petrol to use our cars. The highlands will stop at Inverness. We may even get sumberged under the sea when global warming melts the ice caps.......

Full of the Joys of life today
    On the plus side at least skye wont have to worry about its rubbish for the near future.

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Naefearjustbeer View Post
    Its just the first step to turning Caithness into one giant rubbish tip. Our benches at nice clifftop locations are being removed so tourists dont stop. Dounreay is getting wound down so that there wont be many jobs to keep our youngsters in the area. Very soon we will be a county full of retired folk with a tescos and an asdas for cheap shopping and a great big dump for nuclear waste. We will be overun with windmills and big pylons to transport the electricity south to where it is needed ruining our views. Nobody will come and stay they might use Caithness as a place to get to Orkney but that will be it. Grass will grow up through the middle of the roads as us poor folk will no longer afford petrol to use our cars. The highlands will stop at Inverness. We may even get sumberged under the sea when global warming melts the ice caps.......

Full of the Joys of life today
    On the plus side at least skye wont have to worry about its rubbish for the near future.
    Sheesh, sounds depressingly accurate NFJB - just the thin end of the wedge which will drive people away.

It is depressing and i know naefearjust beer was having a bad morning but he makes sense.
    Caithness is just so beautiful,why would you want our rubbish.Are you being paid hansomely?

Wow, this may be the answer to Toronto's garbage problem as well.

rich are you reading this? Get the city organized. Maybe we could get a trip to Caithness to cut some ribbons or something?

Quote Originally Posted by cuddlepop View Post
    It looks like the contents from my rubbish bin are going to have a home in Caithness before me!
    Skye waste is set to be transfered to Caithness WHFPressFRiday22nd.
    Apparently our landfill site will be full next year and we cant afford to extend it .Our rubbish is sooo slight you have room for it in your Seater site.
    Excuse my ignorence but how is this going to save money? are Caithness not charghing Skye@lochalsh, are there no costs involved to transport it.What about the wear and tear on vehicles ,roads etc.?
    SUrely you've got eneogh rubbish of your own without having ours.
    Nothing new here Cuddlepop. Inverness's rubbish has been sent south for a couple of years now. Not only Inverness's, all rubbish that used to go to the Longman tip.
    Nobody wants a landfill site on their doorstep, so no political party supports it, but nobody has a better idea.
    But there actually is a better idea. Here in Thurso and surrounding ares, we have realistic recycling going on. My bin is only a fraction as full as it used to be through recycling.
    But not everything can be recycled, and landfill is the only alternative for the rest.
    There is no justification for sending your rubbish to anyone else. Rubbish should be dealt with in the location it is generated. Skye rubbish gets sorted in Skye, Caithness's in Caithness, Dounreay's in Dounreay.
    ywindy

The nonsense is as a result of another piece of political "one-upmanship" from the EU, this time trying show the rest of the World how superior it's Green Credentials are when compared to theirs. As usual, the beauty, from the EU's point of view, is that they can claim all the credit whilst National Governments have to solve the problems created and extort the costs from their populations.

EU Landfill Directive
    The Directive's overall aim is "to prevent or reduce as far as possible negative effects on the environment, in particular the pollution of surface water, groundwater, soil and air, and on the global environment, including the greenhouse effect, as well as any resulting risk to human health, from the landfilling of waste, during the whole life-cycle of the landfill".
    http://www.defra.gov.uk/environment/.../landfill-dir/

Here, of course, this has been devolved by Westminster to the Scottish Executive and from there to SEPA.
    The below site gives details of how SEPA intend to deal with the situation should anybody wish to wade through all the details. (I certainly don't)

SEPA
    http://www.sepa.org.uk/nws/index.htm

If anybody would like to explain how transporting rubbish using a 400 mile round trip instead of burying it within a few miles of where it is created is of benefit to the environment I am quite willing to be educated.

In the meantime I will simply dismiss the whole charade as nothing more than the Pathetic Panderings of Pretentious Politicians to Popular Perceptions Perpetrated on the Population by+ Pompous Posers.

And if anybody think I am being a little excessive in my contempt I am mindful that SEPA seem to also be of the opinion that, under EU Rules, the excessive spreading of Top Soil on Fields also constitutes an Environmental Problem.

So when I've finished composting everything in sight what do I do with it then? Can't spread it, can't bury it, can't burn it, can't dump it in the sea, can't stuff it - well, never mind!
    Saw a good POW Escape Movie once but what do i do when my loft is full of the darned stuff?
    Animals I like, people I tolerate.

But you know something? It could (with a slight stretch of the imagination) get worse. Consider for instance the ?thinking? going on behind blowing up Stroma and Swona. Its suggested - http://news.scotsman.com/politics.cfm?id=1502822006 I think they quarry the heart out of these islands and then blow them up. Imagine then the quarrying is done, great big holes where islands used to be and sheep grazed etc etc, and then, instead of blowing the islands up, some ?bright? spark says - hey - let's make landfill sites of them. Now then there'd be something to bother about, Skye's rubbish filling Caithness's (ex) islands.

"A family tree can wither if nobody tends it's roots"

"In the meantime I will simply dismiss the whole charade as nothing more than the Pathetic Panderings of Pretentious Politicians to Popular Perceptions Perpetrated on the Population by+ Pompous Posers."

Jaws, are you saying that you think the idea is a load of p's......

Well said everyone.
    What about the idea floating about now for our bins to get emptied fortnightly.
    There's no recycling facilities on Skye so hows that going to reduce costs