Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Talking complete.....compost

Default Talking complete.....compost

I saw a report in (I think) the Caithness Courier this week about the council's practice of dumping grass clippings at the side of the football pitch. One of the council officials said that it was "environmentally-friendly" and acting like a compost heap on site. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I always thought grass clippings had to be mixed with other material in order for it to compost properly? If it is just dumped as is, it sits there like a heap of slime, killing anything underneath it. I've used it myself in this way to kill off patches of weeds.

You are right and it is wonderfully smelly and yucky for doggies like mine who simply loves muck! Needless to say, we don't go there any more!

If the council would put layers of dirt or well dried grass or dry leaves in with the green grass, and would turn it with a pitchfork biweekly, it might compost down without the yuckyslimeysmelly anaerobic bit.

Does anyone want some tea leaves for their heaps? I've got a surplus

unicorn Guest

Sweetpea mix them with oatmeal and give them to bunnies, they love it.

Quote Originally Posted by unicorn View Post
    Sweetpea mix them with oatmeal and give them to bunnies, they love it.
    Unicorn, you must have read my mind!! I was just going to say that I used to feed my bunnies this and wondered whether people still do, they used to love it.
    Don't wrestle with pigs, you just get all dirty and the pig enjoys it.

unicorn Guest

I don't understand the council's theory on composting anyway I asked if I could just empty the shavings from rabbit hutches into my brown bin but was told no and to put it in household rubbish yet it makes fabulous compost, so I found another way to get rid of it as they wouldn't take the amount I need to get rid of weekly anyway.

I have a ready source of horse muck but is it ok to put it straight on the garden or does it need to compost down for a while? If so when do I know it is ready?
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

unicorn Guest

I thought you just dug it into the garden but this link says different hope it helps http://www.surreycc.gov.uk/sccwebsit...Horse%20Manure

Default talking complete......compost

Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead View Post
    I have a ready source of horse muck but is it ok to put it straight on the garden or does it need to compost down for a while? If so when do I know it is ready?
    You will have a rare crop of chickweed. Used horse doings from the street, many years ago, and have been growing great chickweed since then.