Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bags of fuel peat in Wick?

How do you all keep warm/clean etc?

Quote Originally Posted by secrets in symmetry View Post
    If you didn't apply your simple-minded childlike logic to everything, you might actually understand that the CO2 dynamics of forested peat bog is complicated. From your words, I am already sure that I have learned more about planting forests on big stinky bogs in one day than you have in your whole time of sticking toy trees in your lawn.You are a vandal every time you burn peat. The irony is that you think you are the envirohippy, whereas in fact your pyrotechnics are driving the planet into burnt oblivion every day. Keep up your imperialist behaviour if you wish, but don't complain when your planet burns like the wickerman.
    lol. Come back after you've planted yer trees, hypocrite.

@linnie, would be interested to know too. Everybody does what they got to and what they able to do. Fuel as a whole is getting extraordinarily expensive no matter what way you do it. i've had oil, electric, wood and now wood and peat, it's what works for me and is the cheapest as far as I can make out. Oil seems very common here but, insanely expensive, i would be interested to hear what people pay on average for heating fuel for a year. Last year i spent £50 plus another £50 at least transporting it, but, lots of hours cutting and splitting wood. I now wonder how many hours does one have to spend cutting and drying enough peat for heating a year, anyone done it? @birons thank you for the info! Handy to have a supplier in wick too.

wondered why it was shut! Didna mean to (tab + enter!?) sorry!

We now have 20KG bags (aprox) of peat in stock at £4-50.
    Visit our shop at 20 Bridge street, Wick
    Tel/fax 01955 604655
    'like' us on Facebook - BironsIronmongersWick

Quote Originally Posted by roadbowler View Post
    lol. Come back after you've planted yer trees, hypocrite.
    So...all you can do is make up lies about me when you know nothing....

I have probably removed more CO2 from the atmosphere in the last six months than you can ever aspire to save in your lifetime.

You should go and read about the CO2 balances when planting trees in peat bogs. Fast growing trees and peat bogs can be good for CO2 levels.

i don't aspire to "save?" co2, you do, thought that was fairly clear from the outset. Good luck with your mission.

I have probably removed more CO2 from the atmosphere in the last six months than you can ever aspire to save in your lifetime.
    A quick question secrets in symmetry..........do you drink spirits? If you do, you are contributing to one of the biggest producers of Co2 in the country, Distilleries produce millions of litres of Co2 which is just released into the air.
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

Quote Originally Posted by roadbowler View Post
    i don't aspire to "save?" co2, you do, thought that was fairly clear from the outset. Good luck with your mission.
    I know you don't, so stop calling me a hypocrite.

You would be one for the ignore list if it weren't for that fact that you are so dangerous - due the influence you may have on other do-gooding scientific ignoramuses due to your attempts to live sustainably. We don't want you creating copycat eco-vandals do we now?

Quote Originally Posted by golach View Post
    A quick question secrets in symmetry..........do you drink spirits? If you do, you are contributing to one of the biggest producers of Co2 in the country, Distilleries produce millions of litres of Co2 which is just released into the air.
    Don't worry golach, I don't touch spirits more than once or twice a year.

Don't worry golach, I don't touch spirits more than once or twice a year.
    Well I will make up for you
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

Quote Originally Posted by golach View Post
    Well I will make up for you
    Now you have an excuse to give them up - you can help save the planet!

The sell peat at the ironmongers on Bridge st, Wick next to Barcleys Bank all sell kindling
    New website for the Arts http://www.highlandartshub.freeforums.org Its Free and Its full of the latest arts news in Caithness and Highlands

Quote Originally Posted by demac-artist View Post
    The sell peat at the ironmongers on Bridge st, Wick next to Barcleys Bank all sell kindling
    It's next to the Bank of Scotland - the nearest Barclays Bank is in Inverness!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123