Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bags of fuel peat in Wick?

Default Bags of fuel peat in Wick?

Can anyone tell me where in Wick they sell bags of fuel peat and how much?

You can get bags of peat on the road to Latheron just past spittal
    Live for today as tomorrow may never come

It's hard to believe that at a time when all governments are positively hysterical about reducing CO2 emissions they still allow peat to be dug up in quantities and burned.
    "Scottish peat bogs hold three-quarters of all the carbon in British ecosystems – equivalent to around a century of emissions from fossil fuel burning." (from a Guardian article)
    The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Quote Originally Posted by badger View Post
    (from a Guardian article)
    Quelle surprise!

Quote Originally Posted by sids View Post
    Quelle surprise!
    If that means you don't believe it because it's the Guardian and they are usually pro-green, this particular article is objecting to windfarms being built on peat which is hardly toeing their party line. Similar protests about destroying peat can be found all over the place.

It's hard to believe that at a time when all governments are positively hysterical about reducing CO2 emissions they still allow peat to be dug up in quantities and burned.
    "Scottish peat bogs hold three-quarters of all the carbon in British ecosystems – equivalent to around a century of emissions from fossil fuel burning." (from a Guardian article)
    Barring the fact that I don't buy the agw/CO2 myth, local renewable fuel such as peat in itself is not the evil, it is how it is now so inefficiently used by humans these days that is the evil. What would you consider the most sustainable fuel available in Caithness?

@Fran and those who've pm'd - Cheers!

Technically burning peat is carbon neutral, you just have to wait for a very very very long time for it to be replaced....

Quote Originally Posted by roadbowler View Post
    Barring the fact that I don't buy the agw/CO2 myth
    Lol! We have a third founder member of the Bekisman-Little tendency of those that don't believe in AGW because they don't understand it. Does this one post links to plausible (to the uneducated) rubbish written by idiots with letters after their names?

Quote Originally Posted by secrets in symmetry View Post
    Lol! We have a third founder member of the Bekisman-Little tendency of those that don't believe in AGW because they don't understand it. Does this one post links to plausible (to the uneducated) rubbish written by idiots with letters after their names?
    I'm relieved you understand what I apparently don't and obviously feel so irrationally threatened by an opposing view to your belief system you feel inclined to comment as you do. A perceived attack on your belief system is not actually an attack on you so, calm down and start your own thread if you want to argue about agw.

Or, do you by chance know where one can acquire a bag of peat in Wick??

I suppose I should have anticipated a deluded paranoid response from you. I'll explain in it simple childlike terms that you might understand.

Climate change due to AGW is not a belief system. It is the conclusion of many decades of careful scientific research. I realise that your lack of education, particularly in science, is a severe hindrance to your understanding, but you really should try.

My post is very relevant to this thread. By burning peat, and by disturbing the peaty hillside, you release far more CO2 into the atmosphere than you need to. You shouldn't be burning peat at all.

Neil Howie is of course correct, but the planet would be fried long before the cycle is completed.

Here is an analogy for you....

On another thread you might say you want to shoot infidel Apple users, and you ask where you can buy a gun in Wick. I tell you that you shouldn't shoot Apple users. You agree.

Do you get it now?

Ok, perhaps the morals of your native land would condone owning a gun, and perhaps even shooting Apple users if you happened to be born a hick in the sticks near that blown up St Helens thing.

gee, secrets, can't decide whether to starve you or suggest counseling, either way, I wish you good luck on your mission! :-)

You didn't write any more because you can't write any more. You can't distinguish your lack of knowledge and understanding from serious science. Your delusion is complete.

Do you want to shoot Apple users though?

Quote Originally Posted by roadbowler View Post
    Barring the fact that I don't buy the agw/CO2 myth, local renewable fuel such as peat in itself is not the evil, it is how it is now so inefficiently used by humans these days that is the evil. What would you consider the most sustainable fuel available in Caithness?
    I hardly dare re-enter this thread when we have such awe-inspiring people as "secrets" to lecture us. However reluctantly I have to agree with him/her on one thing and that is that it's the digging up of peat that does the harm because that's what releases CO2. All peatlands should be preserved as much as possible.

I don't think there is any ideal source of energy, they all have their problems. Wood maybe? There is plenty of wood and it's fairly easily replaced. Add a few jumpers. I never sit down without a blanket round my knees! No easy answers, just not peat.

I hardly dare re-enter this thread when we have such awe-inspiring people as "secrets" to lecture us. However reluctantly I have to agree with him/her on one thing and that is that it's the digging up of peat that does the harm because that's what releases CO2. All peatlands should be preserved as much as possible.
    Thank you badger. It's nice to be called awe-inspiring.

I won't jump on anyone unless they write mindless drivel like some members do.

Quote Originally Posted by secrets in symmetry View Post
    Oh dear the boy is jealous, OK so I have letters behind my name and so has John, do you?
    "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped."

Well, at the risk of offending those people who love the Flow Country, and I do admit it has its moments, I would love to see most of Caithness covered in trees (again).

1. Carbon neutral source of heating and
    2. would provide jobs in the local economy.

There are probably some good reasons against, but I'm putting my feet firmly in the "For" camp.

Quote Originally Posted by Fran View Post
    You can get bags of peat on the road to Latheron just past spittal
    Well done Fran, yours is the only post in this thread that answers the OP's question!!!
    All the others are way off topic and shame on you all for blatant thread drift!!!

C3...............

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Howie View Post
    Well, at the risk of offending those people who love the Flow Country, and I do admit it has its moments, I would love to see most of Caithness covered in trees (again).

1. Carbon neutral source of heating and
    2. would provide jobs in the local economy.

There are probably some good reasons against, but I'm putting my feet firmly in the "For" camp.
    I'm with you.

They would have to be native (or near native) deciduous woods though. We don't want dense quick growing pine crap.

Haven't you just contradicted yourself? I'm assuming you mean with the exception of areas of peatland unless we want to revisit the disasterous policy that the NCC inflicted on the Flow Country.

I am speaking of native deciduous woodland of the sort that is all too rare in the north nowadays. Scots Pine forest would be ok, but not the inferior quick growing crap that has blighted our hillsides for 50 years or more.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast