Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Gasometers

Default Gasometers

Was just chatting with my daughter and the subject of the CooP came up. I was telling her that I can remember when the Thurso COOP wasnt where it is just now. Does anyone have any photies of that area when the gasometers were there and it was messy wasteland. Think Im going back to the early/mid 80's.

Sorry, no photos but remember the gasometers well. Loved the smell passing by.
    Making tomorrow`s memories today

My grandad William Younger was killed at Thurso Gasworks,in 1933 allegedly saving the manager.
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

Have a look at the old Thurso pictures thread in the photography section page 43/44 have some ariel pictures of Thurso but there are also other crackers on show there.
    Last edited by gleeber; 12-Oct-11 at 15:34.

I remember Granny Younger. She lived upstairs from us in the Glebe. I was just a wee boy when she died in the mid 50s or thereabouts.

Quote Originally Posted by gleeber View Post
    I remember Granny Younger. She lived upstairs from us in the Glebe. I was just a wee boy when she died in the mid 50s or thereabouts.
    !956 to be exact Gleeber, I had just gone on my first trip deep sea, and never knew about her death until I arrived home again

Check out the photo forum Old Thirsa piccys #986 and you will see her at a young age.
    Last edited by golach; 12-Oct-11 at 17:13.
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

Thanks for that. Didna think/know to look there.

I was just searching for more info on William Younger and his tragic death as he was my great great Uncle and came across this post. His wife Jessie was the blood relation on my grandmother's side. Do you have any more info you'd be willing to share??

Quote Originally Posted by golach View Post
    My grandad William Younger was killed at Thurso Gasworks,in 1933 allegedly saving the manager.
    I was just searching for more info on William Younger and his tragic death as he was my great great Uncle and came across this post
    His wife Jessie was the blood relation on my grandmother's side. Do you have any more info you'd be willing to share?? I think we had contact with each other back in 2006.

I was scared of town gas and I avoided going anywhere near gasometers in Thurso or anywhere else. Thankfully we didn’t have gas in our house.