Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: tesco in thurso?

Default tesco in thurso?

o/h got chatting to guy from tesco on plane from edinburgh,he was part of building team. on mentioning competition would be coming in asda form to thurso he said tesco had already bought land in thurso. can anyone confirm?

Maybe they are the supermarket comany who are supposed to be interested in the old auction mart site!

Quote Originally Posted by jaykay View Post
    Maybe they are the supermarket comany who are supposed to be interested in the old auction mart site!

Thats what I have heard also.

Wasn't there talk a few years back about Tesco coming to Thurso (to the mart site) but the council(?)/traders(?) didn't want them?

If they have bought land, I doubt they will get planning permission unless it is just a small store.

Quote Originally Posted by rfr10 View Post
    If they have bought land, I doubt they will get planning permission unless it is just a small store.
    Why would they not get planning permission? I thought that the local councillors were keen to develop the old mart site. It keeps getting mentioned that it would be suitable for an Asda supermarket. Surely if it is suitable for an Asda supermarket it would follow that it must be suitable for a Tesco supermarket!!

Having Tesco in Wick and Asda in Thurso is gonna be great, to have both in both towns would be IMHO going too far
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing. But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Quote Originally Posted by jaykay View Post
    Why would they not get planning permission? I thought that the local councillors were keen to develop the old mart site. It keeps getting mentioned that it would be suitable for an Asda supermarket. Surely if it is suitable for an Asda supermarket it would follow that it must be suitable for a Tesco supermarket!!
    I've probably mis read something but what I'm saying is that they wont allow planning permission for an Asda and a Tesco in Thurso especially with Tesco already being in Wick.

When the competition arrives then its commercial warfare.21 miles means nothin'.
    Their coming to take me away.....haha-hee-hee-ho-ho

Quote Originally Posted by rfr10 View Post
    I've probably mis read something but what I'm saying is that they wont allow planning permission for an Asda and a Tesco in Thurso especially with Tesco already being in Wick.
    How do you know what they will allow? Why would they not allow an Asda and a Tesco in Thurso. They have an Asda and Tesco in Huntly which is just as small a place as Thurso.
    Sorry for any bad Scottish