Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Family Tree software

Default Family Tree software

Can anyone recommend good family tree software please. I've looked at 'Family Tree Maker' by GPS Software and am impressed but what else is out there?
    'We are more alike, my friends, than we are unalike.'
    Maya Angelou

I use Legacy and have used it for years. Great program and it is free. Highly recommend

I use Legacy as well.......moved from the free version to the paid one.......and am still wondering why I bothered. I recommend the free version as well.

Gronnuck,

I use something called Brother's Keeper. I downloaded the free version as a trial (many moons ago), and never tried anything else. A small fee allows you to upgrade to the full version, but a trial version would allow you to compare it with any software suggested by others. As I've never tried anything else, I don't know what I could be missing and can't compare what I have to other packages available, but I'm happy enough with what I've got.

Steven

Gronnuck,

Just to confuse you a little more, I strongly recommend RootsMagic. One very useful facility as that you can download the program, plus your files, to a Flash Drive and then use it on any other computer simply by plugging the drive into a USB port.

John

Thanks everyone. So far I've found most software publishers will allow you a 30 day trial before having to purchase or upgrade; I'm taking advantage of that.
    'We are more alike, my friends, than we are unalike.'
    Maya Angelou

Family Historian - used it for years.
    very user and UK friendly.
    http://www.family-historian.co.uk/

online help - forum - member group etc
    and you can try it