Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Swinneys budget

Default Swinneys budget

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-15007108

Not overly impressed. How they can justify the council tax freeze is totally beyond me.

Saying that the capital investment boost will be welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by weezer 316 View Post

Not overly impressed. How they can justify the council tax freeze is totally beyond me.
    All I can say is you must be very rich since you are not impressed about paying Less Council Tax.

Me, I am happy that the Council Tax has been frozen.

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allen Poe

We cannto afford to pay less tax. It needs raised, we also need to look at income tax, either that or cut our budget overall by 10%. Cant have your cake and eat it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak View Post
    All I can say is you must be very rich since you are not impressed about paying Less Council Tax.

Me, I am happy that the Council Tax has been frozen.
    I bet there are not many council workers that would agree with you.
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

We cannto afford to pay less tax. It needs raised, we also need to look at income tax, either that or cut our budget overall by 10%. Cant have your cake and eat it.
    As I said it must be nice to be rich like you must be. All I know is that I can Not afford to pay any more Council Tax.

As it is I Know that this year I will have to make a decision. Either to buy Food or to buy Electricty as I wont be able to afford both.

So anything that remains the same price is good news to me.

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allen Poe

Wasn't it 1972 when we had a pay freeze and a price freeze at the same time? I reckon that's what we need right now to get us out of this mess, you cant have a wage freeze and yet live with food and goods rocketing sky high!
    I think the SNP have done well to keep the Council Tax frozen for so long, at least we aren't giving the councils more of our money to waste and squander because that's what they would do if it wasn't frozen!!

C3.............

I don't envy anyone trying to manage the Scottish budget. However I am very much against increased taxes of any kind until this grubbiement sorts out the huge amount of waste that goes unchalleged. The latest is detailed here . I will also mention the Scottish parliament building, the Edinburgh tram debacle, the many PFI projects that have put us all in debt for years to come, (remember the Skye Bridge?).
    If you or I wanted to extend our home, invest in a wind turbine, or buy a new car (electric or otherwise) we would have to do so within our budget. Yet the 'authorities' from the local council all the way up to grubbiement seem to think that they have access to a bottomless pit of money. Projects are continually being revised and budgets ignored. It's time these numpties were brought to book.
    'We are more alike, my friends, than we are unalike.'
    Maya Angelou

Quote Originally Posted by Corrie 3 View Post
    Wasn't it 1972 when we had a pay freeze and a price freeze at the same time? I reckon that's what we need right now to get us out of this mess, you cant have a wage freeze and yet live with food and goods rocketing sky high!
    I think the SNP have done well to keep the Council Tax frozen for so long, at least we aren't giving the councils more of our money to waste and squander because that's what they would do if it wasn't frozen!!

C3.............
    urrrghh...i give in with you, i really do! You cant have a price freeze because.............

Quote Originally Posted by Gronnuck View Post
    I don't envy anyone trying to manage the Scottish budget. However I am very much against increased taxes of any kind until this grubbiement sorts out the huge amount of waste that goes unchalleged. The latest is detailed here . I will also mention the Scottish parliament building, the Edinburgh tram debacle, the many PFI projects that have put us all in debt for years to come, (remember the Skye Bridge?).
    If you or I wanted to extend our home, invest in a wind turbine, or buy a new car (electric or otherwise) we would have to do so within our budget. Yet the 'authorities' from the local council all the way up to grubbiement seem to think that they have access to a bottomless pit of money. Projects are continually being revised and budgets ignored. It's time these numpties were brought to book.
    Agreed. the problem is that people onwt vote for a party that promises to be spend what we earn (tories for example) but will vote for a party that quite openly says they will plough us into more debt and dotn even have any sprt of plan for sorting out the current debt never mind new ones (labour, snp).

It is a pity that the SNP are pressing on with large structures that only make social and environment progress even harder. The massive budgets that have been set aside for the Aberdeen bypass and the new Forth road bridge will only serve to suck away money from areas which would have made a real difference in the lives of Scotland's people like in energy efficiency and other housing projects.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

The energy efficency scheme, well meanign as it is, is a total uter shambles. the kirkless scheme in yorkshire they cited was around 5x cheaper!!

http://news.stv.tv/politics/242878-g...lation-scheme/

Utterly monstorous waste.

And yes, the forth road bridge is another example. Oh and the trams. And god knows what else.

Luckily for them they can just blame westminster and everyone seems to belive them.

urrrghh...i give in with you, i really do! You cant have a price freeze because.............
    I do believe it was your precious Tories that brought it in in 1972 weezer, seemed to work well then so why not now?

C3..................

The SNP are very clever when it comes to "popular" policies.

They freeze council tax for 5 years, give free prescriptions to all, then blame Westminster for the shortcomings in council services and the NHS.

Two birds with one stone.
    Patriotism is when love of your own people comes first; Nationalism, when hate for people other than your own comes first.

- Charles de Gaulle

Quote Originally Posted by Corrie 3 View Post
    I do believe it was your precious Tories that brought it in in 1972 weezer, seemed to work well then so why not now?

C3..................
    I will tell you why now. Simply that things were made and sold in this country in 1972. Nothing is made here, its made in china/taiwan/india. Energy is from Russia, Financial services are provided from every corner of the globe. You try and force a price freeze on your suppliers now, you will see what happens. You wont have a bite to eat or petrol in your car or gas to cook. Pretty simple stuff.

Its preetty simple to get out of, CUT YOUR CLOTH ACCORDINGLY! Easy. Years of excess will take years of pain to fix. Its that easy.

Quote Originally Posted by theone View Post
    The SNP are very clever when it comes to "popular" policies.

They freeze council tax for 5 years, give free prescriptions to all, then blame Westminster for the shortcomings in council services and the NHS.

Two birds with one stone.
    Yes, they are very good at it. Very very good infact. And its utterly astonishing that they announce a levy on retailers, yet try and promote their coucil tax freezing policies as putting more money in peoples pockets to help stimulate the economy! And not a single nationalist notices this.