Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wick Christmas Lights

The Christmas tree is going up as I type!! I noticed it about 10 minutes ago. Its a bit later going up this year.

Default Wick Christmas Lights

Why do they call it "the switching on " of the christmas lights ceremony when they have been on for a week already????????

Yeah! I noticed that this year. The lights have been on since last Sunday! Why is that? The never used to be lit until fun day.

Fran, please make up your mind.
    Last week you were girning that the lights weren't up and on, this week your girning because they are and on,
    What's it going to be???????????????
    I suspect that the lights are fed from the same supply as the street lights so they go on at the same time.

The reason the tree is so late is because the one originally delivered was dreadful, a wee stumpy thing that you would be ashamed to have in your back yard let alone our town centre. The guy who ordered it thought there was nothing wrong with it and suggested that it was put on some sort of stand to make it taller!! The lady in charge of the Christmas lights committee refused (quite rightly) to accept second best for Wick and stood her ground. The upshot was a tree was delivered by The Forestry people, free of charge I believe, and the council gardeners gave their time for free to put it up. Now that's Community Spirit!
    I think the lights are on because they plug into the street lights, and it may be they were plugged in for testing and left on but I honestly don't know.
    Wouldn't it be great if every one of the complainers on this thread showed some community spirit too and went along to volunteer their services next year. Think how great the town would be next year!!

Quote Originally Posted by KitKat
    The reason the tree is so late is because the one originally delivered was dreadful, a wee stumpy thing that you would be ashamed to have in your back yard let alone our town centre. The guy who ordered it thought there was nothing wrong with it and suggested that it was put on some sort of stand to make it taller!! The lady in charge of the Christmas lights committee refused (quite rightly) to accept second best for Wick and stood her ground. The upshot was a tree was delivered by The Forestry people, free of charge I believe, and the council gardeners gave their time for free to put it up. Now that's Community Spirit!
    Doesn't anybody ever think of using a tree from one of the many forests in Caithness.
    SURELY THEY ARE THE BEST ONES TO USE.

Just can't get it right can they?
    Before you say anything I don't live in Wick anymore so I couldn't volunteer to help
    A 1991 Gallup survey indicated that 49 percent of Americans didn't know that white bread is made from wheat.

Default Wick Christmas Lights

If there is an award for community work, I think those to be put forward for it should be the volunteers who put up our christmas lights in wick.
    If there is an award for the worst council at Christmastime, it should go to the caithnessCouncil (Wickside), for not doing the job themselves. After all what do we pay our taxes for.
    I think these volunteers should be named and praised.

Good on the volunteers!!!!!!!! I wish I had more time to devote!!!!!!! But I was under the impression thats what I paid my council tax for too!!!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12