Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Geese

Default Geese

Several skeins of geese coming in over Dunnet Head today, one lot at least were definitely Pinkfeet.
    Quite early in the season for a movement like this.

Large one over Forss too early afternoon but could only indentify greylags, they headed south towards Westfield/Calder and were definitely not the local mob as they were on Sandside head making their usual rumpus.

I heard geese fly over my house on Friday night at about 10pm. I too thought that it seemed early

The timings about right, they usually start congregating in September. As Kas said in an earlier post, the fields in front of Vulcan usually hold good numbers of early birds, these and various others groups in and around Caithness are probably local breeding birds.

nirofo.

sunday night about 12am (early morning) fly over at latheron.
    Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

We have just had our first pinkie flocks stopping off in the fields in front of our house over the last couple of days. There is a good wind for a fall of all sorts of migrants this weekend!!
    dafsorkneybirding.blogspot.com

How right you are.... Speaking with another farmer about them this morning and resolving that action needs to be taken, as shifting them from one field to another with rockets is not really solving the problem. Spoke with the guy at the gunshop in Kirkwall a few weeks ago when I was in, and he was saying there are so many geese in Orkney over the winter now, and so much interest in dealing with them that he is building an extension to his "gun room" to accommodate all the stock and prospective customers.