Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Little acorns

Default Little acorns

Can anyone please tell me if it is possible to grow oak in Caithness? I haven't seen any up here, but there is a small, miserable-looking one outside the toilets in Lairg. (I don't know whether it's miserable because of the toilets or the climate) I have some acorns I'd like to try, but don't know whether it's worth it.

Default Little acorns

You can grow oaks in Caithness, I have several. Some bought in containers, and grown quite a few from acorns, acquired on my travels. It takes patience, but well worth the effort.

Default Little Acorns

Scunner - what a great idea. Did you have to soak the acorns first, or do anything special to them ?
    I have about twenty trees in pots.. including a wonderful Weeping Silver birch, which has been in the pot for almost 30years !

Have you read The Man Who Planted Trees ? I'm sure you would enjoy it.

It's by Jean Giono....

I must try the acorns,
    SD

Default little acorns

I put them into some damp compost. Some sprouted quite soon, others took up to a year. I still have one, and i'm hoping someday it may sprout.