Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

View Poll Results: What Should Tesco Do With Their Carrier Bags?

Voters
214. You may not vote on this poll
  • Put them at the end of the checkouts so you can help yourself to as many as you want.

105 49.07%
  • Only give them out when you ask for one.

109 50.93%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tesco Carrier Bags Conundrum

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Tesco Carrier Bags Conundrum

I've been asked by Nick Gellatly from Tesco to put up this poll to help them decide what to do with their carrier bags.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Gellatly, Tesco
    The new Tesco store in Wick (which opens on 27th November) is the company's first timber-framed environmental store and that means they're looking to do the right thing for the environment once the store opens too.

Since launching green Clubcard points a few weeks ago, Tesco customers are using 10 million fewer carrier bags every week across the UK. What do you think about carrier bags?

Should Tesco put them at the end of the checkouts so you can help yourself to as many as you want or only give them out when you ask for one? You're votes will make the decision for them.
    As usual, I'm sure your comments will be more than welcome...
    Last edited by Niall Fernie; 06-Oct-06 at 17:26.

If they are there, you tend to make no effort to ration use. If you ask for them you are thinking about what you are using and why they are not there.
    An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing

-I think ask for them as they are trying to promote green points so you will automaticly get them unless you ask for bags.

we should ask for them if we need them, then maybe we wouldnt see so many lying about on the streets

I think the idea of green bag points is good BUT there are so many other more damaging examples of excess packaging that need to be looked at if the scheme is not to be seen as a PR stunt.

Do Tesco offer
    (a) re-usable cloth bags for a small charge, similar to the ones you can get at, for instance, M&S?
    (b) a bin into which you can place carrier bags for recycling, once you've built up such a collection of them you can't shut the cabinet door under the sink?

Quote Originally Posted by George Brims View Post
    Do Tesco offer
    (a) re-usable cloth bags for a small charge, similar to the ones you can get at, for instance, M&S?
    (b) a bin into which you can place carrier bags for recycling, once you've built up such a collection of them you can't shut the cabinet door under the sink?
    George, Get a dog then you can use up your carrier bags as poo picker uppers!

Think it is about time I started up a shopping bag factory for all us green minded shoppers.

Everyone should be using lifetime bags anyway..... the cheep free ones just tear and you tend to use more for doubling up
    Live life to the full, you only get one chance so make it count
    dont be to happy coz someone sure to shoot you down

I think you should have to ask for them, however once the internet shopping is up and running in Jan I intend to shop on my computer - I can hardly wait!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by George Brims View Post
    Do Tesco offer
    a)Like other supermarkets they have the bag for life scheme (you buy the first, when it breaks you can exchange free of charge for new).
    b) I have noticed collection bins for recycling bags outside of several tescos, including the one in Dingwall.
    An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing

I think they should go "the whole hog" and charge for the carriers. IKEA now offer the big blue bags for 25 pence and biodegradeable corn starch carriers for 10 pence - no more plastic bags from them. Hopefully, Tesco will soon follow suit. I'm sure it wouldn't take long for us all to get into the habit of taking re-usables when we go shopping.

The Irish introduced a European-style Bag Tax and there have been proposals to do the same in Scotland. I realise no one's said the T word here, yet, but there's an interesting counter-view from the Scottish Retail Consortium >>>here<<< (downloadable Word doc).

Assuming that the customer reaction to charging for bags by the shopkeeper is the same as reaction to paying a government tax, the effects of charging for bags on theft levels, and on sales of heavier-gauge (so more environmentally damaging) plastic bags, are interesting.

Mind you, if you can wrap it up in "saving the planet" language, people will become very irrational, very quickly. Personally, I'd much rather see additional charges levied on fast food sellers for clearing up the mess their customers make every weekend, and every lunchtime (when the kids are in school).

Maybe a small thought . would be great if the girls and guys on the check outs had the ability to pack our bags as they scan items. They do this in Australia and it busts long Q's. And bags get packed properly and without the customer becoming frustrated at being to slow or held back by children. Well just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by danc1ngwitch View Post
    Maybe a small thought . would be great if the girls and guys on the check outs had the ability to pack our bags as they scan items. They do this in Australia and it busts long Q's. And bags get packed properly and without the customer becoming frustrated at being to slow or held back by children. Well just a thought.
    I notice they do just that in the Castletown shop! Much appreciated too!

Well, we went to somerfields and had big plastic LIDL bags, so we shoved all the shopping back in the trolley and bagged it at the car so as not to cause any hassle.
    As long as you can buy big plastic bags at the till and we remember to put them in the car, everyones happy! (as long as you have the right bag for the right supermarket!)

Quote Originally Posted by robglysen View Post
    Well, we went to somerfields and had big plastic LIDL bags, so we shoved all the shopping back in the trolley and bagged it at the car so as not to cause any hassle.
    As long as you can buy big plastic bags at the till and we remember to put them in the car, everyones happy! (as long as you have the right bag for the right supermarket!)
    LOL, I was just wondering why you bagged only at the car? I don't get it. I use whichever bags I have when I go to which ever supermarket... have I commited the ultimate gaff????

PS: even paper bags are pollutent. You find this out very quickly when living close to a papermill, as I have.

taking your car there to shop is polluting the enviroment,why be so bothered about bags?home delivery i say.......

Default Recycle

How about recycling all the local papers into bags cos lets face it for a change it would be nice to find something in the Groat.

saxo - are you recommending home delivery over a 128mph bare nuckle ride to the shops ..........surely not? where's your sense of adventure? if you were to do your own shopping you could burn some rubber as you throw your trolley around the aisles, carefully slowing down if you sight any Watten residents..........maybe even sneak into the trolley bay late into the night and cleverly customise your own trolley with some low profile tyres for the next days racing..............chance to take the scooby driver who is now restricted to a bog standard trolley.......................he shoots.....

Hi

I have put only when asked for. Why not use strong brown paper carriers, as they would be more environmentally friendly, and customers do need some sort of bag to put their shopping in. Is their any method of making a cellulose bag based on tree fibres.

Best wishes

Karen Spruce

Quote Originally Posted by Karen Spruce View Post
    Hi

I have put only when asked for. Why not use strong brown paper carriers, as they would be more environmentally friendly, and customers do need some sort of bag to put their shopping in. Is their any method of making a cellulose bag based on tree fibres.

Best wishes

Karen Spruce
    Many years ago I worked in a shop which used the large brown paper sacks for a short time - IMO they look great in the movies, but were pretty useless in practice...
    WeeBurd.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast