Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: David Alexander Cormack JP

Default David Alexander Cormack JP

re http://forum.caithness.org/showthrea...SC-b-Wick-1856

a question was asked who was the David Cormack mentioned with solicitors Hector Sutherland D W Georgeson.
    well I imagine it to be David Alexander Cormack b c 1837 to James Cormack and Isabella Harper
    ... He was a farmer in Canisbay but also a Justice of Peace c 1901.

David Alexander Cormack born 1837 is my Great, Great Grandfather and yes the family became prominent grocers in Edinburgh. My grandfather and I have the same name. Our line is descended from John Harper born circa 1780 who was the first Caithness man to get a pension from the army. If you google him there's a fascinating journal about his 18 years of service leading up to the Battle of Toulouse.

Hi David.
    I have Cormack and Waters but so far not a direct link to your tree.
    I have noted in my tree your William Ryrie Cormack line. (assuming I have you correct ).
    WRC being son of DAC, the son of WRC, the son of DACormack & J Waters.

Do you have any further back on James Cormack m Isabella Harper. My Cormacks were orig in Watten from 1700s but did move
    I already have the story of Isabella Harper's father John in the Army etc. A wonderful account.

Default William Ryrie Cormack

James Cormack and Isabella Harper are the parents of David Alexander Cormack born 1837. One of DAC sons WRC is my Great Grandfather and the father of my grandfather David Alexander Cormack born c 1901. My father William Ryrie Cormack was born in Edinburgh in 1927 died 2010, and I was born in Aberdeen in 1959. Waters is definitely in our tree. Lawrence Cormack a relative in our tree has the complete tree covering Waters and going back to 1500s. I will contact him and see if he can contribute here. Feel free to give me your email via private message.
    Last edited by davie17; 29-Oct-11 at 09:39.

I found the tree. David Alexander Cormack born 1837 was married in 1860 to Janet Waters 1836 to 1884. Their son WRC (one of 7 children) is my Great Grandfather 1874 to 1929.

The Cormack tree goes back to John Harper b c 1770 married Elizabeth MacKenzie and to James Cormack 1770 m Elspet Wilson. Their children Isabella Harper 1800 to 1886 and James Cormack b 1795 married in 1826 and had 5 children including DAC b 1837.

The Waters tree from Janet Waters goes back to David Waters and Janet Rosie who had a son John Waters 1811 to 1894 who in 1836 married Janet Ryrie 1811 to 1885. Her parents were Donald Ryrie and Janet Craig who married in 1799. John Waters and Janet Ryrie had 4 children including Janet who married DAC 1837 to 1910. The others were David, Donald, and John who married Jane Reid and had 3 children.
    Last edited by davie17; 29-Oct-11 at 09:24.

Hi David. Have sent you a PM with my email.
    I had J Harper and Eliz MacKenzie. JamesCormack & Elspet Wilson - I need to get some proof.
    Ryrie I have via marriage 1812 of Catherine Ryrie to my Donald MORE.
    Waters again via marriage 1920 of Elizabeth Water to my John More.
    Need to check their ancestors.
    Would love to look at the tree - then it can be a research tool. Hopefully Lawrence has checked all refs.

My Cormack line starts with Magnus Cormack who was in Watten 1739 when he married Jean Taylor.

Hi Dave have tried to send you a reply to the cormacks email address but the emails just get bounced back with the message that your address is rejected? Lawrence