Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Bat that hasnt moved in over 48 hours!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Bat that hasnt moved in over 48 hours!

And im worried.
    Went on the Bat conservation trust website..phoned the helpline already this morning...(they suggested taking it to the vets)
    And the vets....they are not sure about having a bat..
    Phoned Balmore yesterday when I found out it was a bat and not a big moth as I first thought the day before...they are not sure in having a bat.
    Watched it not move all last night...
    Is there a Bat carer near us?
    I havent been to poke it to see if its injured or anything as you are not allowed by law to handle bats unless you have a licence, but, what else can I do, as its obviously having problems, as it hasnt moved. We even watched it for most of the night and it never moved.
    Im happy to have it back in the garden, if its going to be ok....Im not that bothered about them flying around and we dont have a roost in the loft spaces, as we checked them all yesterday.

Hi Dadie

There is a bat worker in Caithness but I'm afraid I can't remember his name but if you phone SNH in Golspie (01408 634063) they should be able to advise you who to contact.

Phoned them, the nearest is Dornoch, but it would need delivered.
    Vets phoned back, I could take the bat in, but I would have to pay for its treatment etc!
    Just waiting for the SSPCA to phone back now......
    Trying to do my best, but, it doesnt seem to be good enough

Dadie - why do you need to do anything?

It is a wild animal. It will live, or it will die. The very last thing it needs is to be interfered with.

Leave the poor wee creature alone.
    The box said, "Requires Windows XP or better"...

... so I installed Ubuntu!

Its right above the window the cat uses to come in and out.
    They are protected creatures.
    There is something wrong with it as it hasnt moved (info from bats conservation trust).
    It shouldnt have to suffer.
    Yes it might die, but, if its just dehydrated, doesnt it deserve a chance?
    It keeps the midgie population down.
    A few reasons for wanting to help.

Oh and if there is any confusion its on an outside wall, in an exposed area and not in the house!
    Last edited by Dadie; 05-Sep-11 at 10:37.

I think you're quite right Dadie !
    Good for you for wanting to help a wee creature, which is obviously in need of a caring person.

Hopefully the SSPCA will get back to you with some useful information....let us know how you get on?
    I'm the kind of woman whose feet hit the floor each morning, and the Devil says........... " Oh, Blast She's Up !! "