Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 9/11

Quote Originally Posted by gleeber View Post
    Aye youve done it a few times yourself Northerner. I recall once you left with a farewell post explaining how the shrinking violets have spoilt your org experience by not allowing you to practise free speech. Personally I dont think you like being challenged.
    There was a post on here that was well out of order by my standards but knowing you have different standards it may well have been acceptable to you. Anyway, that post disappeared although i think it should have been left as an example of the free speech you demand without adult responsabilty.
    The orgs been brought to its knees by this kind of free speech. When 9/11 happened we regularly had over 20 members in the chatroom and 4 or 5 were North American. We never used the forums much in those days other than for information but that evolved too until now we have a monster that is out of control with the unconscious crap that before the internet came along people kept to themselves or took it out on the cat. Its a pity.
    Mea Culpa on the leaving bit.

But to clarify the matter, the first time I left was to take a break - it was the time of the great Wheelie Bin IIRC and I never 'took offence' at anyone else's posts, I just wanted to do other stuff (so many forums..so little time) and decided to let people know who I communicate with on here rather than just disappear.
    Came back and got hacked off with a lot of the banal posts that seem to be appearing more and more, thought 'stuff it' and went permanently. Not as the result of an online tantrum - just a general disillusionment and that's where the difference lies IMO.

Yes, I've drifted back and I post occasionally. No fanfare, no attention seeking, no drama. But I now ignore most of what I read.....and I'm a lot more cynical these days.

As for 'not liking being challenged': That's your opinion and I know I won't change it. It is of no importance to me whatsoever how you, or anyone else, views my witterings online. I fight my corner and try to speak fairly.

Regarding 'the good old days' - you've just said exactly what I have in the past, Gleeber. It's moved on.

Me and you haven't.

But...back on topic. RecQuery didn't post up to draw humour from the situation, even said they personally didn't find any of it funny...yet, right on cue along comes someone who's opening line was "I haven't read all the posts in this thread, but...." and launches into a full-blown online dummy spit. A prime example of what my gurning was about.

And I still see no thread offering condolences, why is that then? Possibly because those who are complaining loudly about what other people are posting actually couldn't give a monkeys really. Maybe they just want to jump on the 'offended grievers' band wagon?

Over to you.(EDIT): Nearly forgot. I get the impression you're still smarting over the 'Amy Winehouse' thread......move on, Gleeber.
    Last edited by northener; 10-Sep-11 at 15:54.

Quote Originally Posted by northener View Post
    Go and read the OP's post.

This is not a thread offering condolences to those involved in the 9th Sept mass murder, so to wade in and start 'shouting' about respect was over-reaction to say the least. Another example of someone being 'offended' about sod-all and expecting everyone else to toe their dull and blinkered line.

And you know something? I trawled back to the 8th of Sept and I couldn't find any thread started to offer condolences to those killed in the tragedy. So rather than do the sensible thing and open a 'serious' thread regarding 9th Sept, one of our brethren, Cherokee decided to berate all and sundry in a thread which certainly wasn't ridiculing those involved. And then do a dramatic exit (not the first time, I believe).

How grown up is that then?
    It is very obviously not a thread offering condolences so no need to point this out to anyone. I have every right to state my opinion that some of the posts on this thread are childish and pathetic but that does not mean I toe a dull or blinkered line.
    Last edited by Kells; 10-Sep-11 at 11:04.

But...back on topic. RecQuery didn't post up to draw humour from the situation, even said they personally didn't find any of it funny...yet, right on cue along comes someone who's opening line was "I haven't read all the posts in this thread, but...." and launches into a full-blown online dummy spit. A prime example of what my gurning was about.

And I still see no thread offering condolences, why is that then? Possibly because those who are complaining loudly about what other people are posting actually couldn't give a monkeys really. Maybe they just want to jump on the 'offended grievers' band wagon?

Over to you.
    I believe the not fiding it funny was made after the event, probably with 20/20 hindsight it was realised what an outrageous post it was.

Quote Originally Posted by Kells View Post
    It is very obviously not a thread offering condolences so no need to point this out to anyone. I have every right to state my opinion that some of the posts on this thread are childish and pathetic but that does not mean I toe a dull or blinkered line.
    In your opinion......

Looks like Gleeber and Northerner ought to get together:

http://youtu.be/AKXlhpeb6wI

In your opinion......
    Yes entirely my opinion and just as valid as yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Ego View Post

that is what I call funny....

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Ego View Post

I could really go off some people, Walter.

First time I think I have come upon musical conspiracy theorists!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufZPF...eature=related

Trying to bring a bit of respect to this thread, below are copies from facebook. I am so proud of my family

"Lothian & Borders Police Choir
    are lost for words. To stand in New York, and sing, and watch people get overcome with emotion and one particular lady who lost her husband on 9/11 thanking us for being here... it is our honour and our priviledge. Overwhelmed, and grateful that life has brought us this opportunity. Thanks for having us New York."

This was posted by my Daughter in Law, who is in NY with my grand daughter singing with the Lothian and Borders police choir.....I am so proud of them

"Wow, wot an emotional rollercoaster this has been! Very very proud of what we are doing out here. When an NYPD cop comes over to you crying and gives you a hug to thank you for what you have just sang for them you realise what a great thing this is we are doing. There are no words to explain how I feel."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZXUF...&feature=share
    Last edited by golach; 12-Sep-11 at 23:59.
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

Sure happy that 9/11/11 is past. I saw all of that stuff 10 years ago and had to see repeat versions of it 10 years later. Almost like watching the events of WW2 repeated again & again. I certainly got tired watching all those repeats.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
    Well, it wasn't my fault. I have a cast iron alibi. I was in The Camps Bar all day with Elvis, Adolf, Glen Miller, D.B Cooper and Shergar.

Or was I?
    I would assume D.B.Cooper was paying?
    I really hate being bipolar. It's awesome!!!

I could really go off some people, Walter.
    You got a new mirror then, Walter?

Quote Originally Posted by golach View Post
    Trying to bring a bit of respect to this thread, below are copies from facebook. I am so proud of my family

are lost for words. To stand in New York, and sing, and watch people get overcome with emotion and one particular lady who lost her husband on 9/11 thanking us for being here... it is our honour and our priviledge. Overwhelmed, and grateful that life has brought us this opportunity. Thanks for having us New York."

This was posted by my Daughter in Law, who is in NY with my grand daughter singing with the Lothian and Borders police choir.....I am so proud of them

"Wow, wot an emotional rollercoaster this has been! Very very proud of what we are doing out here. When an NYPD cop comes over to you crying and gives you a hug to thank you for what you have just sang for them you realise what a great thing this is we are doing. There are no words to explain how I feel."

I saw that on TV yesterday, golach. I had no idea who was singing when I ventured into the living room as I heard Amazing Grace start up. It took me back 10 years in an instant, and it brought back memories of a friend who was a passenger on one of the hijacked planes. Much kudos to your family, and thank you for bringing it to our attention.

As one of the comments on YouTube says:

"My god, that would bring a tear to a stone. Astonishingly beautiful."

Quote Originally Posted by golach View Post

You have every reason to feel proud of your family, they are amazing ambassadors for Scotland.

At over 2 hours long, this documentary is a very different "conspiracy theory" from the norm, even if it is rather heavy going!

http://www.911missinglinks.com/watch-movie/

If thats a bit much, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAkWNxhBWjs is a bit lighter at a mere 3 minutes 24!

This is my conspiracy theory.

A loosely formed band of religious nutters (which are hellbent on forming a global theocracy) sought to destabilise a world of peace and trade by hitting planes full of fuel and unwitting innocent passengers into buildings that are symbols of said peace and trade. Unfortunately for them, they got a big shock after they underestimated the response of the gentle giant after previous attacks showed huge restraint.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Ah, but which ones were the religious nutters?

Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead View Post
    This is my conspiracy theory.

A loosely formed band of religious nutters (which are hellbent on forming a global theocracy) sought to destabilise a world of peace and trade by hitting planes full of fuel and unwitting innocent passengers into buildings that are symbols of said peace and trade. Unfortunately for them, they got a big shock after they underestimated the response of the gentle giant after previous attacks showed huge restraint.
    Yes. Spot on.

Does anyone know a 9/11 conspiracy theorist who isn't a total dick?

While I dont dispute what happened actually "happened", there are some discrepancies regarding the information that the US government put out. Some 500 people on the original "dead" list have been proven to have never existed, or if they did there are no records for them(strange?). Also the occupancy levels of the towers were nowhere near as high as was made out. I have seen official documents released by the new york port authority under the FOI act showing occupancy levels were completely different from what the government released. I also found it a bit strange that the new "owner" (who purchased the lease 3 months prior)walked away with 7.5 Billion dollars for his "loss" of the buildings but was never really reported!!!
    I dont have a tin hat and dont think there are reptiles governing us but I do feel that there is a bit of a cover up by the US government, not a conspiracy as such but theres alot of mis-information released by the government which leads people to think theres a conspiracy.
    The world is a system its only how you work the sytem that counts...............

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast