Councillor Bill to put best foot forward for Scottish fitness scheme

MEMBERS of Highland Council have put aside their party and team differences to join forces with the Scottish Premier League Trust’s Football Fans In Training programme in the fight against male obesity. Football Fans In Training is an initiative supported by the Scottish Government and the Football Pools, which targets men aged between 35-65 to take part in a 12 week course that consists of physical activity alongside healthy living messages.
At a meeting organised by Councillor Drew Hendry, Highland Council’s SNP Group Leader with coordinators of FFIT, and Councillor Bill Fernie, Chairman of the Council’s Education, Culture and Sport Committee - Councillors Hendry and Fernie pledged their support for the programme.
Councillor Fernie said: “It can be difficult for many members of the community to get started into fitness and this is an innovative way of getting men to participate in activity that they may not have done for a number of years. Speaking personally I will be trying to take part in the programme and would hope that it will improve my own health and fitness and I encourage others to take part if they get the chance.”
Councillor Hendry added: “We really need to seize every opportunity to support ventures such as FFIT if we want to make a difference to the health of Highland’s population. This programme will not only raise awareness about simple ways to easily change lifestyles, but it will also prove to be a good laugh for those involved. It was good to meet with the FFIT representatives and I will be encouraging everyone to become aware and, if appropriate, join up. I hope they get off to a great start”
Billy Singh, General Manager of the SPL Trust said “Football Fans in Training is the SPL Trust working with all our clubs and local communities to help overweight men change their eating habits and encourage a more active lifestyle. Our evidence shows that the programme has been very successful in achieving those aims and I hope more men will sign-up for this season.”
Coaches and community departments at the twelve Scottish Premier League football clubs are all taking part including Inverness Caledonian Thistle.
Men who are aged 35 to 65 years old with a belly size that measures at least 40 inches, or trouser waist of at least 38 inches can join Football Fans In Training to lose weight, get fitter and improve their health. To get involved visit the SPL Trust’s FFIT website at www.spl-ffit.co.uk, text FFIT to 88802 or e-mail: ffit@sphsu.mrc.ac.uk
-