Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What a hoot!

You will be delighted to get back to your own welding after the two weeks hard labour you did welding for me. Looking forward to seeing the finished project.
    Making tomorrow`s memories today

Finally will be getting back on the X1/9 after spending some time setting up another major project. Just addressing some rot on the bottom of the drivers front wing forward section (same as the other side, looked fine until I started sanding the filler).

Note. If you can see filler on both sides of the repair, filler ain't what you should be using.

After this is welded up with new metal, I need to sort the passenger door, then some minor bodyworking to take a few ripples out then it should be off to the paintshop. Famous last words. Watch this space.

Famous last words indeed. Ah the passenger door...Not original it came from a later car as witnessed by the filled holes for the door mirror.

Talking of filler, the bottom of the frame was so rotten that it was parting company from the skin. Add to that the numerous holes in the rest of the frame and bottom of the skin, and I have had a fun couple of days. I suspect that there are more repairs now than door. Anyhoo, all done now but it will take some serious leveling with filler to straighten it all out. Having put so much work into it I will use it, for now at least, but if you see me selling one in future, don't buy it!

Actually, I've just trial fitted the door and it could be worse. It needs the bottom front and back edges building up a bit to fit the door gap right but it isn't far off. I'll do that by running beads of weld down the edges.

I'll post some pics tomorrow when the boss gets back with the camera. I didn't take any before's unfortunately.

As I didn't have any reference when making the folds in the new repair bits for the skin, the frame that supports the fold had disintegrated, I have to build up the edges with weld to achieve a good door gap.

Attachment 13187Attachment 13190Attachment 13189
    Attachment 13188

Default Door repairs

Attachment 13282Attachment 13280Attachment 13281

Three days in this door so far, that's the skin more or less straight and the door gaps sorted. Actually most of the work is in the frame. You'll have to use your imagination though 'cos I'm not taking the bliddy door off again!

This is why, when you take your car to the restorer he says certainly, that will be 20,000 please

Attachment 13730Attachment 13731Attachment 13732

Well I've been busy again. Days and days of work flatting and filling all the little dings (I bet I've missed some) and the bonnet.....I've had to sand all the paint off as there was blistering that had gone right through to the metal. anyway, I've decided to paint it myself in the end, a bit short of room as you can see but it is managable.

So with a bit of decent weather and a bit of time, it should be ready to put back together soon. I'm in no rush, I'd rather spend more time and get a decent finish.

Good luck with the weather for the paint job.

Must get myself to specsavers.............thought she was going to be pink, but realise it is just the light.
    Making tomorrow`s memories today

Quote Originally Posted by poppett View Post
    Good luck with the weather for the paint job.

Must get myself to specsavers.............thought she was going to be pink, but realise it is just the light.
    Not pink! Light Red Metallic

So nearly finished painting now. Totting up the materials was a bit of an eye opener, 11/2 litre of etch primer, 3 litres of high build white primer, 3 litres of celulose colour and I recon another 3 litres of clear coat.

Plus consumables; 5 litres of panel wipe and 5 litres of thinners, countless DA discs and wet and dry sheets.

I got the colour with the car but the cost of the rest is at least 150. I looked up the cost of the colour 200 so quite a pricy business.

Well I suppose you are all gagging to find out how I'm getting on. No? Oh well...

So I have painted 5 coats so far and just finished flatting down and I have achieved a mirror finish with 800 grade finishing paper. ( I could go down to 1200) so I'm quite pleased but in sunlight the colour is a bit patchy. I've only just noticed, can't think why. Too noticable to just clearcoat it so I need to get some more paint and give it another couple of coats.

In the meantime I've been tidying up the engine bay and this is really starting to look something. No photos now until it is finished.

BTW I have decided to stick with the original bumpers and trim. There are too many other things that identify it as a later car. For instance the bigger engine has a much longer stroke and is physically taller requiring a higher engine cover and yet more plastic to lift things like the filler cap. I don't want to end up with some kind of Frankenfiat!

Anyway, while I'm waiting for the paint I am addressing one or two mechanical issues.

Sorted the carb, the accelerator pump lever was seized up causing difficult starting, the waterpump looks like it has been leaking for about 100 years so thats off and a new one ordered, the alternator, while it was working, is extremely corroded inside so thats on the way too. I love shiny new parts don't you?

Also been stripping all the suspenders and cleaning up and painting all the bits. In the process I noticed one of the rear shocks was sweating ever so slightly so ordered up a new set of KYB GR2s (good for sprints, hill climbs etc). I know I said I wasn't going to spend much...

Big milestone today. Steve from Autoglass came and re-fitted the windscreen. The car is complete apart from finishing up the paint job and re-fitting all the bits of trim. Time is the main problem as I have an awful lot of projects on the go at once. Ho Hum!

Well, she's nearly there. Just fitting up all the bits of trim, door glass and all the other gubbins. Quite satisfying cleaning everything and fitting clean shiny bits but frustrating at the same time as I'm now getting the numerous broken trim clips and stuff coming home to roost.

The paint job is I'm afraid, pants. It's polishing up well so you can't see the patchyness unless you're right on top of it. So it is a 20/20 car.
    Not surprising really, when you try to paint in too small a space with very poor light. At least I know all the rust is repaired properly so it should go for another 10/15 years before any more attention is needed.

I know I'll end up painting it again once I've built my new, massive, well equipped workshop up at the new place next year.

Before I put her back on the road I'll replace the cam belt and tensioner and change the engine and gearbox oil so she'll be happy mechanically for a bit too.
    Last edited by ducati; 13-Aug-13 at 23:02.

Had a second opinion on the paint job today and I am revising my description to; mostly pants

Attachment 20568Sneak preview

Now I've finished the polishing and fitting all the brightwork, the paint ain't bad except for the bonnet and bootlid so I'll just re-do those now then I'll be resonably happy with it. Just a taste of the sort of time the refit is taking, I've just spent half a day making a new set of boot and engine cover release cables fit. You can't get the original ones and mine were toast so you have to file down the nipples on a set that nearly fit to get 'em into the levers, then route them up through the back wing and engine bay then trim them to the right length....What a palava!

What colour is your paint ducati ? it looks like "Austin Allegro chocolate brown" or very similar.
    Hating people because of their colour is wrong. And it doesn't matter which colour does the hating. It's just plain wrong.
    Muhammad Ali

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast