Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What a hoot!

If those are the bad bits then you've nowt to worry about!
    Should be back on the road in a few months then.
    Good to see you getting stuck into it tho. You've given me some more incentive to get back into the garage again.

Quote Originally Posted by Even Chance View Post
    If those are the bad bits then you've nowt to worry about!
    Should be back on the road in a few months then.
    Good to see you getting stuck into it tho. You've given me some more incentive to get back into the garage again.
    Yes it is all about momentum. I have most of the repairs featured in the photos done now. Unfortunately my welder has died with drive problems and looking at the parts prices (its an SIP Trademig) it is uneconomical to repair.

SO folks I need to beg, borrow, hire or buy a welder. Needs to be at least 80amp with a min of 30 to 40 amps. Idealy I need a decent semi-industrial machine with pref. a Euro Torch.

Anyone have one?

Cheers.

Well slightly less of a hoot now. Some small repairs needed on most of the lower panels, just where they touch inner panels, caused by electrolysis. Not a big issue and usually easily fixed, I just cut out the rust and flush in new metal. Trouble is, it is taking forever with a sick welder. I bought a new drive wheel and liner and it is marginaly better but still won't feed smoothly which makes neat welds impossible.

So I'm still looking for a replacment welder......anyone?

Can`t help with a replacement welder.....sorry. It is the one thing not in the shed at the foot of the garden, and boy could we have done with one last week for "the goat". Patched up to pass test, but have sourced new sills to go on and needs some deep thought about a futuristic refurb between the boot floor and the back bumper to keep it in tip top condition......remember the rusty stuff from under the bumper when you were polishing it??
    Making tomorrow`s memories today

Quote Originally Posted by poppett View Post
    Can`t help with a replacement welder.....sorry. It is the one thing not in the shed at the foot of the garden, and boy could we have done with one last week for "the goat". Patched up to pass test, but have sourced new sills to go on and needs some deep thought about a futuristic refurb between the boot floor and the back bumper to keep it in tip top condition......remember the rusty stuff from under the bumper when you were polishing it??
    Indeed! Don't worry, new welder on the way.

I've finished the first corner, that's repairs to the lower front of the rear wheelarch and the sill closing panel, the wheelarch and a couple of repairs on the lower rear valance panel. I'll post some pictures when I get around to it, probably at the weekend. It is a lot of faffing but you can't get new wings etc and the repair panels that are available, are no better than I can make myself.
    Last edited by ducati; 22-Nov-11 at 22:37.

Well I've stripped all the stoneguard off the drivers side sill and apart from a small repair to the rear associated with a previous repair mentioned earlier on the bottom of the rear wing, all is good. Likewise, the rear bottom of the front wing. A repair on the front wheelarch turns out to be a badly filled ding so no rust there either. It is rather looking like any rot is confined to the rear quarters. Certainly the car is very well protected with underseal and stoneguard. This was done at the Bertone factory but subsequent owners have obviously kept up the treatments. After it is painted it will be getting a couple of buckets of Waxoil from me!

I've removed the drivers door so the shuts and the A & B pillers can be stripped to bare metal as I want a really good, factory looking finish here. The drivers door has a load of filler in the bottom (hence the dodgy re-spray) so that looks like it might be fun and games. Normally I would just replace the skin but again there are no new panels and one I found (old stock) from the factory (wrong side) is being offered at 200!

A quick update, I bit the bullet and took off the windscreen trim which turned out just to be 'glued' on with mastic, there is as I suspected some fairly impressive rot around the bottom of the screen. Not sure what to do at this stage, Ideally the screen needs to come out to repair it properly. However it is bonded type and I'm not sure whether new ones are available and they rarely come out in a state to put them back in.

Pics will follow but therealducati is away 'till tonight with the camera.
    Last edited by ducati; 26-Nov-11 at 16:28.

Default Pics

Attachment 11173Attachment 11174Attachment 11175Attachment 11176Attachment 11177Finally got around to taking some pics.

The grey is just a light coat of etch primer to protect the bare metal

OK. So the drivers door, it has had a bottom repair panel very badly rippled and distorted hence the filler. I've stripped it out and will refit it and try and straighten it out with hammers and dollys. I'm not brilliant at this so there will be some filler but at least I'll get rid of the high spots so it will look straight once its painted. The seams were pretty cruddy with surface rust so I've given them multiple Jenolite treatments and they are starting to clean up. Once this is done I'll re-seam seal them so they should look pretty factory. There were some small rust holes around the bottom of the frame so I've just filled them with weld and tidied up with the grinder and they look fine.

That's about it at the moment as its ffreezing in the garage.

So having put the door back on I braved the wind and reconnected the battery and put the drivers seat back in and backed out the garage and turned the car round to get at the front end. Just striping it down now and all seems in good shape. There is acres of plastic trim bits to strip off and you have to get at the concealed bolts through the headlight hole so with my giant banana hands it's a bit like redecorating your hall through the letterbox

Why is it the Italians, when they want to facelift a car, just cover it in nasty black plastic? '80s Alfa Spider anyone?

Anyway it looks like it will be ready to paint just after Xmas so I've got a good quote (provided I polish it myself) so can't wait to start putting it back together again.

So questions now about how far do I go? I would like the best possible car that is usable. I built a concourse TR6 and hated using it because of the work it created to keep it in that condition. But I will strip and paint all the suspension bits, clean up the engine bay (that's in pretty good nick anyway), I've already cleaned up the interior and its not bad although the drivers seat could do with rebuilding.
    Last edited by ducati; 09-Dec-11 at 17:26.

Finally got all the plastic crep off the front. I'm seriously considering sourcing a set of 1300 bumpers and replicating the original design as it is much cleaner.

Anyway, the only rot in the front is at the bottom of the metal part of the spoiler on the drivers side. The area exposed by removing the headlamps and lifter mechinism is very clean where I was expecting rot to have set in so that saves a lot of work. The painter doesn't want me to strip it right down to bare metal but a lot of areas where there are pimples in the paint ( the main reason for the respray in the first place) isn't clean until you get to the metal so needs must.

I'll post some pics of the front tomorrow.

Sounds like yer getting on great. Its not a great time of year to be working in a cold garage. Ive put off working on the Mini AGAIN to build a small rowing boat for my wee lad for his Xmas. Hope to get back at it in Jan or Feb though. Fingers crossed.
    If you like the cleaner look of the 1300 bumpers, then do it. Now's the time.... I had a look at pics, and they look better to me anyway, but thats just personal opinion mind.
    I stripped the mincer right back to bare steel, but its a LOT more work. At least I know whats hiding underneath! nah, its all sound clean steel! Nothing else will do!!

Quote Originally Posted by Even Chance View Post
    Sounds like yer getting on great. Its not a great time of year to be working in a cold garage. Ive put off working on the Mini AGAIN to build a small rowing boat for my wee lad for his Xmas. Hope to get back at it in Jan or Feb though. Fingers crossed.
    If you like the cleaner look of the 1300 bumpers, then do it. Now's the time.... I had a look at pics, and they look better to me anyway, but thats just personal opinion mind.
    I stripped the mincer right back to bare steel, but its a LOT more work. At least I know whats hiding underneath! nah, its all sound clean steel! Nothing else will do!!
    I can't decide about the bumpers. I've found a company that make the quarter bumpers and the correct front spoiler to go with, in GRP, for about 100. I just usually like to keep this kind of car original. Its not as simple as just fitting them either, there is a bunch of mounting holes to weld up and new mounting brackets to fabricate.

In the meantime I've stripped the passenger sills and wing bottoms and there are a couple of repairs that look fine on the rear wing bottom but the sill is clean as a whistle. I've removed the rear window and have arranged for Autoglass to remove the windscreen next week. Hopefuly it can be done without breaking it. If the worst happens, new ones are available (250 fitted ). Quite reasonable cost for removing and re-fitting; 116 in total. Just shows though, even trying to do this kind of restoration on a strict budget, the costs soon mount up.

Attachment 11586Attachment 11587Attachment 11588Attachment 11589

Finally some pics before my garage falls down in this damn wind. It is doing my head in!

The radiator is going to need attention do you think?
    Last edited by ducati; 08-Jan-12 at 02:22.

What a result! Steve from Autoglass came today to remove the windscreen. Out in one piece and it's in good condition so should go back no probs. No sign of any of the clips that should hold the trim on though. The hunt for a set of these should be fun.

Just a few small jobs to finish now, then it is off to the painters.
    Last edited by ducati; 11-Jan-12 at 13:52.

I've made a start on repairing the windscreen aperture. Both bottom corners are done and I'm about to start tackling the middle bottom section. There is a good 8 inch length here where the frame is completely missing.

The metal behind is clean though so the good news is, it was rotting from the outside where water was sitting behind the trim. I'll have to make sure this is well sealed to keep the water out in future.

I'll try and upload some pics of the windscreen frame later today.

Apart from the above there has been no structural work to do at all. All the rust and repairs have been the extremities on outer panels so the initial assesment of it being a solid car were correct.

At last the promised pics. The first two show the repairs done to the bottom corners of the windscreen frame. Followed by the remaining damage to the bottom, still to repair.

Quite fiddly work with a not very subtle welding technique, but I have had plenty of practice.

Attachment 11756Attachment 11758Attachment 11759Attachment 11760Attachment 11757
    Last edited by ducati; 22-Jan-12 at 12:44.

Your welding is far superior to some I have seen.

Attachment 11851Attachment 11852

Well I've finished the welding to the frame. Attached a couple of pics. Just cleaning it up with Jenolite prior to shaping it up with a little filler.

By the way, all of you out there in hoot following land waiting for me to set fire to the dashboard, I use a stuff called Weld Stop Blanket. It is a heavy hessian like stuff but it is made out of Kevlar fibre. It is also used in the mfg of some types of bullet proof vests.
    Last edited by ducati; 29-Jan-12 at 13:09.

You have been a busy Ducati.

I had every confidence you wouldn`t set fire to anything!

Just a quick update. Still welding, the front lower passenger side wing looked solid until I sanded off some small bubbles and it turned out to be mostly made of filler. Whoever repaired it last was some sculpter

Finished off a small repair to the back passenger side which was a bit fiddly because it included half of the cutout for the exhaust. So, nearly finished apart from the passenger door which is a bit of a disaster so I might purchase a lower repair panel. I'll decide once I get all the paint off it.

I'm still confident it will be back on the road for the summer.
    Last edited by ducati; 10-Mar-12 at 07:47.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast