Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What a hoot!

Default What a hoot!

So, we have been looking for a classic sports car to have some fun, do a bit of restoration and join a club. I've been looking at all sorts hence the recommendation thread.

On ebay I spy-ed an X1/9 that looked pretty original with a bit of tax and MOT, relatively low miles and had been owned for a while (since 2004) by an enthusiast. I got it for 439.

Now if you look for the next cheapest small sports car it will be a hard top TR7 a Triumph Spitfire or an MG Midget. All likely to be twice as much and in my experience needing a lot more work.

The X1/9 needs a couple of fairly serious body repairs; one rear wheel arch and the windscreen frame looks extremely ropey. None of these are beyond the capability of a home restorer and it needs a respray. As it's had a couple already I'll do a bare metal up job.

Anyway as its MOTd till the end of October,and it is such fun to drive, we picked it up from Aberdeen last Wed and took it down to Dunrobin this weekend, ended up entering the classic car show and I'm being roped in as a judge next year it would seem, and it didn't miss a beat. We'll keep it on the road for the rest of the summer.

So, consider as an entry level classic. Open top, mid engined, handles really well, what more do want?

Look out for the rusting under the bonnet. That was the downfall of the one we had some years ago.
    Snowmen fall from the sky unassembled!

Quote Originally Posted by Beat Bug View Post
    Look out for the rusting under the bonnet. That was the downfall of the one we had some years ago.
    Aye, one of the reasons I went for this one, it's really clean and had a the suspension tops replaced 5 years ago and still looks brand new.

Attachment 10017
    Last edited by ducati; 23-Aug-11 at 00:50.

Congratulations on your "find".
    Making tomorrow`s memories today

Thanks poppett, it has a long way to go before it is as tidy as the Mountain Goat though.

Default Update

I thought I would get the MOT out of the way before I start on the paintwork so it is ready to go in the spring. So I set about checking it over yesterday. All I found wrong with it was a seized rear caliper and a perished gearchange shaft boot.

Thats it!

Nice wee find you have obtained yerself there. Weel done! Certainly a bargain for the price.
    Now start a thread on its photographic restoration when it begins and keep us all updated regularly please!

Best of luck

Quote Originally Posted by Even Chance View Post
    Nice wee find you have obtained yerself there. Weel done! Certainly a bargain for the price.
    Now start a thread on its photographic restoration when it begins and keep us all updated regularly please!

Best of luck
    OK I will be doing the photo thing anyway. Here it is, as is. The photo just doesn't show how horrible the paintwork is!Attachment 10706
    Last edited by ducati; 27-Oct-11 at 16:20.

Quote Originally Posted by ducati View Post
    OK I will be doing the photo thing anyway. Here it is, as is. The photo just doesn't show how horrible the paintwork is!Attachment 10706
    it really does lol!

Quote Originally Posted by upolian View Post
    it really does lol!
    I was going to say ask upolian

aka eagle eyes lol

Nice. I have a toyota roadster and love it.
    Live for today as tomorrow may never come

The door just wants to punch my head in it stands out that much! lol!!

From humble beginnings masterpieces are made mind......

Its a nice wee car, and I mind having a toy one when I was young. Should be a lot of fun for you and Mrs D buzzing around the roads up here when its done.
    I now need to get my head away from boats for 5 mins and get my 71' Mini finished and on the road again. Its been getting re-built for the last 5 years!!

I know what you mean. I took me 5 years to restore a TR6 from the ground up but it was worth it in the end.

This one however has one winter. Should be OK it is very solid. I've just stripped the interior so I could get the 1 piece carpet out and have a look at the floor structure. Happy to report all is well.

The next job is strip the paint and repair the rear wheelarch, front wheelarch and windscreen frame. Then paint the whole thing.

I'm going to use a new (to me) Acrylic system using a concentrated colour that doesnt need more than a couple of coats then I will bury it in clearcoat so I can really polish it up. Not for the purist but I am doing Rover Nightfire Pearl. It is very similar to the original Fiat Light red Metallic but easier to get hold of.

Sounds great. Good to hear she's basically sound. Its the welding that does my head in. And the painting.
    The acrylic paint is great to use, but I found it likes the ambient temperature to be very warm.
    Thats what the Mini is getting. 5 litres of the stuff smothered on a wee Mini that I can cut back nicely to a decent shine.
    Ive painted the doors, front end (its a one piece removable steel front) boot lid and roof already. Just the shell itself to top-coat yet and put it all back together again for next summer (hopefully)

Well at least by the time you get back to it the primer will be nice and cured. You still have a good few months ahead of you assuming you start right away. Wouild be nice to see another Mini back on the road.

Aye yer right there JW!!
    Primer's coming back off to start again tho. It sooks up moisture, so its not safe to paint over stuff thats been on for a while.

Painting, I've decided I don't have the facilities to paint it in the winter so I will do all the prep and hand it over to my local friendly paint guys with a proper booth.
    They can mix the correct colour too (I know having the wrong colour would drive me crackers over time).

The stripping down is going well, it is a very well put together little car.
    Last edited by ducati; 08-Nov-11 at 09:09.

I really got stuck in this weekend. Some rust on the bottom front of the rear wing and I found a repair that is OK after stripping the stoneguard and filler off. Other areas that need attention are the rear panel where the number plate was screwed on through about nine holes and a bolt hole for the bumper end cap is rusted out. The drivers side sill looks to have a fair thickness of filler so I suspect that's been repaired too. The wheelarch that I was worried about is actually very minor, just surface rust in a couple of places that had lifted the paint. I stripped it with my trusty wire brush on the angle grinder (if you want to strip anything off anything that is the beast to use!) and clean shiny metal broke out.

I have taken some photo's so I will post them shortly.
    Last edited by ducati; 14-Nov-11 at 23:39.

Attachment 10964Attachment 10963

No probs for a man of my caliber
    Last edited by ducati; 14-Nov-11 at 23:51.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast