Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: William Goldfrap Shepherd Hendry McKay b: 24 Jan 1890 NZ

Default William Goldfrap Shepherd Hendry McKay b: 24 Jan 1890 NZ

Hello Members,
    Recently through my family research I have found family member living in NZ. Alexander Hendry who married Catherine Calder their first born daughter Margaret Hendry married John McKay/Mackay and moved to NZ in 1876. John and Margaret's grand-daughter b: 1917is still living in NZ.

Margaret had a sister Johan who was my great grandmother.

A cousin from NZ, contacted me to say they found a postcard while going through some memorabilia and came across a postcard that has raised a question that someone might be able to enlighten me upon.

The address it was sent from is ‘Burn of Brims’, Forss, Thurso, Caithness. Dated 11 Dec 1917. Sent to William Goldfrop Shepherd Hendry McKAY. At the time he was in the Military Hospital at Endell Street, London.
    From his war record show that he was wounded in action in France in July 1917 (Gunshot – chest and left thigh). He rejoined his unit on 19 August 1917 and then in November was again wounded this time due to shelling and mustard gas. He was firstly in a field hospital then transferred to the Military Hospital in London, then in December transferred to Hornchurch hospital in Essex. He ‘marched in’ again October 1918, rejoining his unit. Left England for NZ in April 1919.

Now, the question I have is “Who is ‘Dossie’ who signed the postcard in 1917?”

Anyone with any idea?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Isabel
    Canberra, Australia

I think I know who Dossie was please PM me for further details