Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Macaulay family in Canada

Default Macaulay family in Canada

I am trying to find information on my Father John Macaulay, who was born in 1901, in a small village outside of Caithness.
    His father was John Macaulay; Mother, Annie; Sister Netta, also a brother who died young (no name).
    The story is that my father changed the spelling of "Macaulay", before he married my mother. He was still
    married to another woman at that time. Because of the spelling change it is difficult to research on
    Genes Reunited website. I am hoping to find any relatives of our family. I presently live in Nanaimo, on Vancouver
    Island, Canada.

Hi Nana' and welcome, if you go to scotlandspeople ,you will find a John Macaulay married Annie Bryden 1920 at Wick, there is also a marriage for a John Macaulay to Anie (only one "n") Cook 1898 at Wick these could be his parents. S P is your best bet it's pay as you go . good luck Flora.

Hi John
    I have just posted some info on this site under the heading MaAulay/Cook - I am just new to family research but we may have a connection. Please view and let me know.

Thank you Flora, your information sounds interesting, we will check it out further.

Quote Originally Posted by flora View Post
    Hi Nana' and welcome, if you go to scotlandspeople ,you will find a John Macaulay married Annie Bryden 1920 at Wick, there is also a marriage for a John Macaulay to Anie (only one "n") Cook 1898 at Wick these could be his parents. S P is your best bet it's pay as you go . good luck Flora.

Hello,

I have links to a Macaulay family of Caithness going back to an Eneas McInlay (later known as Angus Macaulay). I believe that he was born in the parish of Latheron but have been unable to go any further.

You simply mention a "village outside Caithness". Does this mean that the family isn't Caithness born?, or are there possibly links to Caithness?

I don't recognise the names you have listed, but there may be links somewhere. I thought it was worth asking, just in case.

Regards,
    Steven

Hi Steven,
    the recent information I have gathered is he was from a place near Glamis Castle. Also, my father's mother had a sister who was married twice, the first time she married a "Troop", she
    had children by the name of HARRY (which I met when young), DAVID and MARGARET. The mother then married again, the name was Downey.

The latest information I have gathered is he was from a small place near Glamis Castle. His mother's sister was married to a "TROOP" then a "DOWNEY". Children, Harry, David and
    Margaret TROOP. Thank you for your reply.

Thank you for your reply Flora, the dates do not match up I am afraid.