Wick cut Thistle down to size

WICK ACADEMY produced the shock of Highland League action, today, with a well-earned 3-1 win over Buckie Thistle, their first of the season!
Not even the fact that the Jags were seriously under-strength, could take the shine off the result which delighted players, fans and, particularly new manager, Dave Kirkwood, whose first season had got off to a rather uncertain start...one draw and a defeat.
Academy opened their account with a well-taken goal by Sam Mackay in the 30th minute but the visitors levelled before the break. In the second period, the Scorries flew high, with two more goals to put the game out of Buckie’s reach.
I can’t remember when Wick last beat Buckie last and I doubt if they have beaten a reigning champion side, too often.
To be fair, the champions were down to the “bare bones” of a squad, to quote the pre-match comment by manager Greg Carroll who has been sent home to think again. Questions have to be asked as to how so many-10- of his regulars were not available, many for work commitments. Every team loses a few players to at some point in the season, not least through suspensions, and, to be caught so short, at this early stage of the season, is probably nothing that would bring on a panic attack. Obviously, Carroll won’t want to find himself in that situation on too many occasions.
Three points lost now- against a side they were favourites to beat- might well come home to haunt the Jags in the far-a-way final stages of the season.
Favourites and underdogs... fans on both sides will, doubtless have their takes on the issue . But three points won against a formidable foe, will, I guarantee, see a few glasses raised to the victors, when the teams retire to the Seaforth Club, for their post match refreshments, tonight.
Elsewhere in the league, the matches panned out as follows.
Brora Rangers, 2, Clach 2; Deveronvale 1, Cove Rangers 2; Fraserburgh 2, Forres Mechanics, 1; Inverurie Locos, 0, Rothes 1; Lossiemouth, 1, Strathspey Thistle, 0; Turriff 4, Huntly, 2; Nairn 2, Keith 3.
The Formartine v Ft William game was postponed due to a flooded pitch.