Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Catherine Banks

Default Catherine Banks

Hi

I am a silver surfer who has promised her grandson that I would finish the family tree which I gave up on years ago. I am a bit confused about my Great grandmother Catherine Banks, this is what I know so far and wonder if she appears on any of the Banks family trees

Catherine banks was born in 1849 in Loan of Fearn Ross-shire, but I have not been able to find her birth or baptism record.

1851 Census - she and her mother were destitute and lodging with a Begg family at Houstry, Watten.

1861 Census - she was a domestic servant, though only 12, and living with a Mackay family at Achremy, Reay.

I know that this is her as she later started a long term relationship with a John Sutherland though they never married. My Gt uncle, Alexander Sutherland Banks was born in Thurso on 28.12.72. He was brought up by the Sutherland family in Achremy.

My grandmother, Jessie Sutherland (or Banks) was born in Rogart 1977(8), but I have not found her birth or baptism record. That is the information that was in the 1881 Census

Catherine Banks married Peter Wilson in Wick on 25.06.80. I suspect that she could not read or write a she signed the Register with an X. She put her age as 25, but she was in fact 30. Her parents are recorded as John Banks, farmer deceased and Margaret nee Henderson also deceased.

My confusion is that I don't know if these were her parents or if she was born illegimate. The story in the family is that the Banks came from England originally.

I am happy about the rest of the information I have on her and she died in Wick on 12.03.1904.

I would be grateful for any help or advice anyone can give me.

Many thanks

Columbine

Look for her death Cert on Scotlands People. That should give you all the information you need

Hi Domino

Thanks for the suggestion. A family member who was living in Wick went and got all the information from her Death Certificate some years ago. She was also given the Lair No so we know where Catherine Banks is buried in Wick Cemetery, though there is no headstone.

My grandfather registered the death and I believe that he gave her age as 53 when she was actually 63.

Columbine