Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Sexton Beetle ? ? ?

Default Sexton Beetle ? ? ?

My daughter came running up the stairs last night saying there was a HUGE ladybird flying round in the kitchen. She caught it in a glass and we had a look at it. Its approximately 1/2" long predominantly black with 2 orange stripes (almost wasplike in colour) and has 2 long antennae with orange ends. She checked it out online and it 'appears' to be a sexton beetle which we believe are only usually found in south England. Is it a sexton beetle and if so do they regularly venture this far north? Any ideas about what to do with it anyone dont want to hurt it !!

Dont think they are rare up here, I have seen them outside our house a few times, so I would just let it go.
    They can be atrracted to the light like a moth.
    Away with the birds

Hi Mark

I agree with Kas - Sexton Beetle is common in Caithness and I usually get two or three in my moth trap at this time of the year. As the name suggests they live on dead animal matter and will give off a very pungent smell if they get annoyed.

Pterodroma

We had one around our garden last year - amazing creature, hopefully it was just lost though as they live off dead animals like mice etc. and if they are near your house it may mean there is a rotting carcass of something or other - they bury a carcass and lay their eggs next to it so the offspring have a plentiful supply of food.