Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Most Useless Household Gadgets

  1. #1

    Exclamation Most Useless Household Gadgets

    On GMTV this morning, a survey by Esure revealed that this year we in the UK have spent 1.75billion on household gadgets that we don't use - a total of 80 million different items up and down the country.

    Here's the top 10 most useless gadgets of 2006:

    1. Electric grill
    2. Coffee machine
    3. Sandwich toaster
    4. Juicer
    5. Electronic bathroom weighing scales
    6. Electric slow cooker
    7. Bread maker
    8. VOIP (Internet phones)
    9. Electric steamer
    10. De-humidifiers

    www.gm.tv/index.cfm?...


    LOL, I have all of these and the only one I DO use is the steamer.
    Don't wrestle with pigs, you just get all dirty and the pig enjoys it.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    La-la Land
    Posts
    2,576

    Default

    1. Electric grill - don't have one, barbecue does for that
    2. Coffee machine - daily use
    3. Sandwich toaster - yes but haven't used it in years
    4. Juicer - used a lot until we moved house, last place had a big orange tree
    5. Electronic bathroom weighing scales - use them often, a source of joy and sadness
    6. Electric slow cooker - used a lot
    7. Bread maker - used twice a week when we got it, now once a year!
    8. VOIP (Internet phones) - no
    9. Electric steamer - no
    10. De-humidifiers - no, here we need humidifiers!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Deadmonton
    Posts
    804

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by connieb19 View Post
    Here's the top 10 most useless gadgets of 2006:

    1. Electric grill
    2. Coffee machine
    3. Sandwich toaster
    4. Juicer
    5. Electronic bathroom weighing scales
    6. Electric slow cooker
    7. Bread maker
    8. VOIP (Internet phones)
    9. Electric steamer
    10. De-humidifiers
    I couldn't survive without my coffee maker! and use my juicer (one of those hand-held thingies, not an electric juice maker) and electronic bathroom scales as often as necessary; but don't own (nor do I miss having) any of the others on the list.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Out of Caithness... sadly
    Posts
    2,772

    Default

    I have:

    1. Electric grill - yup, sees action about once a year. Purchased after a holiday in Cyprus, where they are used a lot.
    2. Coffee machine - nope; do have one of those cafetieres, though. Sees about as much action as the grill.
    3. Sandwich toaster - got rid of that - too much faffing around.
    4. Juicer - got one, sees a lot of action in fits and starts, usually the summer.
    5. Electronic bathroom weighing scales - def. no
    6. Electric slow cooker - got one of these, invaluable this time of year for comfort food.
    7. Bread maker - never out of use. Love it; was a present my wife asked for and never used; became my 'tool'.
    8. VOIP (Internet phones) - web cam count?
    9. Electric steamer - youk! Old fashioned layered steamer, much better.
    10. De-humidifiers -why??
    "Step sideways, pause and study those around you. You will learn a great deal."

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ricco View Post
    I have:

    1. Electric grill - yup, sees action about once a year. Purchased after a holiday in Cyprus, where they are used a lot.
    2. Coffee machine - nope; do have one of those cafetieres, though. Sees about as much action as the grill.
    3. Sandwich toaster - got rid of that - too much faffing around.
    4. Juicer - got one, sees a lot of action in fits and starts, usually the summer.
    5. Electronic bathroom weighing scales - def. no
    6. Electric slow cooker - got one of these, invaluable this time of year for comfort food.
    7. Bread maker - never out of use. Love it; was a present my wife asked for and never used; became my 'tool'.
    8. VOIP (Internet phones) - web cam count?
    9. Electric steamer - youk! Old fashioned layered steamer, much better.
    10. De-humidifiers -why??
    Hey Ricco have you got electrikery in your dog house? and there was me feeling sorry for you for all the time you spend there!!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Out of Caithness... sadly
    Posts
    2,772

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
    Hey Ricco have you got electrikery in your dog house? and there was me feeling sorry for you for all the time you spend there!!
    Hey! A dog's gotta have a home. The only home comforts I get.
    "Step sideways, pause and study those around you. You will learn a great deal."

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    1,228

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by connieb19 View Post
    On GMTV this morning, a survey by Esure revealed that this year we in the UK have spent 1.75billion on household gadgets that we don't use - a total of 80 million different items up and down the country.

    Here's the top 10 most useless gadgets of 2006:

    1. Electric grill
    2. Coffee machine
    3. Sandwich toaster
    4. Juicer
    5. Electronic bathroom weighing scales
    6. Electric slow cooker
    7. Bread maker
    8. VOIP (Internet phones)
    9. Electric steamer
    10. De-humidifiers

    www.gm.tv/index.cfm?...


    LOL, I have all of these and the only one I DO use is the steamer.
    I can see most of the others but how are you going to make a good cup of coffee without a coffee maker? I know those plunger units can be good as well but the coffee gets cool way to quickly.

  8. #8

    Default

    1. Electric grill - don't have
    2. Coffee machine- got rid off as it lay unused for years
    3. Sandwich toaster - got rid as it lay unused
    4. Juicer - got rid ~ not used since we gave up wine making
    5. Electronic bathroom weighing scales - lie in bathroom unused
    6. Electric slow cooker - used constantly ~ couldn't do without it.
    7. Bread maker - still used ~when I mind to get flour!
    8. VOIP (Internet phones) - don't have ~ quite happy with what I have
    9. Electric steamer - used to defrost freezer
    10. De-humidifiers - don't have ~ don't need


    Mind you I do have plenty other useless gadgets lying about, just in case I might need them ~ beware the flying pigs if I do

  9. #9

    Default

    Slow cooker - Magic
    De-humidifier - essential for summer (empty 3 times a day to keep basement at 60%)

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Thurso
    Posts
    1,021

    Default

    1. Electric grill - does this include a george foreman? I have 2 plus another similar thing
    2. Coffee machine - can't NOT have one - coffee is like oxygen for the hubby!
    3. Sandwich toaster - have 1 I've had for years, got a replacement one as a wedding present. Used quite often.
    4. Juicer - mum bought me one, never used it.
    5. Electronic bathroom weighing scales - no, but I'm sick of my current scales (I'm sure they lie) so I'm gonna upgrade soon.
    6. Electric slow cooker - not used often, but wouldn't be without it.
    7. Bread maker - not used in a while, but you can't beat freshly baked bread!
    8. VOIP (Internet phones) - I've got internet access on my mobile if that counts!
    9. Electric steamer - nope, I have a 3 tier pan though.
    10. De-humidifiers - no, don't have a need for it.

    I am a gadget person - my kitchen is full of them - my hubby despairs!!

  11. #11

    Default

    Breadmaker: In the shed! Dont need all the other stuff!

  12. #12

    Default

    According to some wives - their menfolk! when they're home.


    "A family tree can wither if nobody tends it's roots"

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kingetter View Post
    According to some wives - their menfolk! when they're home.
    is that what YOUR wife says? lol
    Don't wrestle with pigs, you just get all dirty and the pig enjoys it.

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by connieb19 View Post
    is that what YOUR wife says? lol
    If and when I get one (in my wildest nightmare) I'll have to ask her - LMAO


    "A family tree can wither if nobody tends it's roots"

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    a long time ago in a galaxy far away
    Posts
    817

    Default

    1. electric grill, got a health thing from woolies. like a george but cheaper
    2. coffee machine, cant stand coffee. never touch it.
    3. sandwich toaster, had one think its still in the house. not sure thou.
    4. juicer, not got one.
    5. bathroom scales, not got one. enough stuff in there already.
    6. slow cooker, would quite like one.
    7. breadmaker, would like one.
    8. voip (phone). have one would like a better one. (hint hint in case hubby is
    reading this later)
    9. steamer, not got one.
    10. dehumidifier. whats the purpose of it.

    a few things we havent got. def would like a new phone thou.
    no amount of darkness can drive out darkness
    only light can do that.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •