Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Cormack and Sutherland families

Default Cormack and Sutherland families

I have come to a grinding halt researching this side of the family - hope someone can help!
    My great grandmother, Catherine Sutherland married Donald Cormack in Edinburgh in 1874, but they were both from Caithness originally. Donald's parents were, I think Donald Cormack and Elizabeth Bain who married in Feb 1848; Catherine's were John Sutherland and Isabella Sutherland who married in Dec 1830.
    However I can't find their dates of birth anywhere, although I presume they were borm between 1845 and 1850. Latheron, Keiss and Wick are the areas I think they were born in, but their common names don't help! Neither does a Sutherland marrying a Sutherland!

Finally, Catherine died in Keiss on 11 July 1932 - does anyone know of her resting place? Suspicions are that she has a pauper's grave, but I'm not sure!

Any help or guidance would be really appreciated!

Sue

Donald Cormack & Elizabeth Bain married 18/2/1848,Wick.
    Their son Donald was born abt 1849, Keiss,Wick.
    He married abt 1870 possibly Latheron to Annie Cormack,b. abt 1849,Keiss,Wick.
    Children:- Mary A.M.1870,William 1872,James 1875, Donald 1880, Alexander 1882,Margaret 1884, Hugh 1887,May C.1889.All Latheron.
    My connection here is Helen Nicolson Manson , b.9/12/1878,Wester,Wick, my Grandmother.
    Daughter of Ann Cormack,b. abt 1852,Keiss,d. 12/4/1903,Wick,daughter of Donald Cormack & Elizabeth Bain.
    Married 9/6/1876,Keiss,to Alexander Manson,b.1856,Strubster.d.20/3/1929,Myreland,Wick.
    Alexander Manson & Annie are both buried Keiss.
    Not quite as you have it.You have enough to check out my findings but I have certificates for my grandmother.

Further to the above.The following are the children of Donald Cormack & Elizabeth Bain.
    Donald,b. abt 1849 Keiss, Isabella,b.abt 1850,Keiss, Ann,b.abt 1852,Keiss, John,b.abt 1852,Keiss, Elizabeth,b.abt 1855,Keiss,d. aft 1891, William,b.21/4/1857,Keiss , James,b.27/3/1859,Keiss.

You really had me panicking! I really don't understand this as I have a copy of the marriage certificate of Donald and Catherine in front of me, listing Donald's parents as Donald Cormack and Elizabeth Bain, married as I said on 5 June 1874 in Edinburgh! Could there be two very similar family trees going on here? I could send you a copy, only I don't seem to be able to attach anything!

If you have your certificates for Edinburgh then there are two people of the same names, married on the same date. but miles apart in different locations.

Default So.....?

If you give me your e-mail address, I'll send you the copy I have! It sounds improbable, but I'm learning not to be too surprised! Learning this morning that 2 other ancestors married at the age of 12!!!! was a lesson in itself.

Sue

PS Thanks for all your efforts so far - much appreciated!

I have just been going over my records .The children I have attributed to Donald are those of a Donald & Ann Sutherland who married 3/12/1869,Bruan,Latheron.There are so many Donalds & cousins marrying amongst each other.

quick reply: not sure what you have exchanged on this privately

Donald Cormack
    Name: Donald Cormack
    Estimated birth year: abt 1849
    Relationship: Head
    Spouse's name : Cathrine
    Where born: Wick, Caithness
    Registration Number: 43
    Registration district: Wick
    Civil parish: Wick
    County: Caithness
    Address: Moss Of Keiss
    ED: 17
    Page: 3 (click to see others on page)
    Household schedule number: 15
    Line: 21
    Roll: cssct1881_11
    Household Members: Name Age
    Cathrine Cormack 32
    Donald Cormack 32

Name: Catherine Cormack
    Estimated birth year: abt 1849
    Relationship: Wife
    Spouse's name : Donald
    Where born: Latheron, Caithness Shire
    Registration Number: 37B
    Registration district: Keiss
    Civil parish: Wick
    Address: Manse
    ED: 2
    Page: 22 (click to see others on page)
    Household schedule number: 127
    Line: 2
    Roll: CSSCT1891_8
    Hellen Bain 56 Aunt b Wick
    John Bain 12 Cousin b Tarbet
    Mary Bain 8 Cousin
    Catherine Cormack 42 b Latheron
    Donald Cormack 42 Head of House
    Donald Cormack 1
    Elizabeth Cormack 3
    Isabella Cormack 5

Default I'm still working on it!!

Many thanks for the help given to me through this forum. I am sure I will need you again

Sue

Two marriages of Donald Cormack to Catherine Sutherland.

1 1869 CORMACK DONALD SUTHERLAND CATHERINE LATHERON /CAITHNESS 038/00 0011 He a chelsea pensioner aged 39 she 35 - they were cousins.
    Parents John Cormack (farmer dec) and Janet Keith Alex Sutherland (farmer) and Margaret Keith
    Janet and Margaret Keith were sisters- daugs of Donald Keith and Christian Sinclair

2 1874 CORMACK DONALD SUTHERLAND CATHERINE ST ANDREW (EDINBURGH) EDINBURGH CITY/MIDLOTHIAN 685/02 He a Police Constable both aged 25
    Parents : Donald Cormack (fisherman dec) and Elizabeth Bain John Sutherland(fisherman dec) and Isabella Sutherland

Another: Donald Cormack and Ann Sutherland - marriage.
    1869 CORMACK DONALD SUTHERLAND ANN LATHERON /CAITHNESS 038/00 0025 He fisherman 24 she 23 both in East Clyth.
    1869 Parents William Cormack (fisherman) Ann McKay James Sutherland (fisherman) and Mary Ann Mckay.

This is Donald with his parents in 1851.
    Name: William Cormack
    Estimated Birth Year: abt 1814
    Relationship: Head
    Spouse's Name: Ann Cormack
    Where born: Latheron, Caithness
    Parish Number: 38
    Civil parish: Latheron
    Address: Mid Clyth
    ED: 2
    Page: 11 (click to see others on page)
    Household schedule number: 37
    Line: 11
    Roll: CSSCT1851_8
    William Cormack 37
    Ann Cormack 38
    Margaret Cormack 15
    Christy Cormack 13
    James Cormack 11
    Sinclair Cormack 9
    Donald Cormack 7
    Alexr Cormack 4
    William Cormack 2

by 1891 Donald and Ann are in Pulteney Wick

Default I think it's the 1874 ones

Hi, there!

Thank you all again for your help. I do believe my ancestors married in 1874 in Edinburgh, but their journey to the capital did not last long and they went back to Keiss. I understand that illness made them return.

As to their births, I can find no definitive record! So many Sutherlands and Cormacks married.

Still, i live in hope!

Sue