Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

View Poll Results: Should religion be discussed on the forum?

Voters
135. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

103 76.30%
  • No

32 23.70%
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Religion, taboo or not?

Smile

Hold on a minute is this thread being used to get a democratic decision on whether we discuss religion or not ?
    Or is it merely a discussion thread with ideas,are we being used to create a policy or will the policy be decided whatever we say?
    Finally why don't we just have a religous area to discuss the parameters of all things spiritual and those that do not abide by its guidelines will be banned forever from it! But still remain in the org playground,as a means of punishment and yet mercy.
    Patience is the ability to put up with someone you'd like to put down.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by mostlyharmless
    Hold on a minute is this thread being used to get a democratic decision on whether we discuss religion or not ?
    Yes it is going to be a democratic decision. The majority have decided that its fine to discuss religion on this forum and as Admin I'm going to abide by that decision.
    Or is it merely a discussion thread with ideas, are we being used to create a policy or will the policy be decided whatever we say?
    Why would I have posted a poll? I could have just stuck to my guns and just put up with the flack. Lets face it, I've done it before and the flack finally comes to an end
    Finally why don't we just have a religious area to discuss the parameters of all things spiritual and those that do not abide by its guidelines will be banned forever from it! But still remain in the org playground,as a means of punishment and yet mercy.
    Erm, not a chance, I think its been shown quite clearly on this thread that there are some people that just cannot have a civilised conversation and there will be on most threads. A topic like religion obviously holds a closer place to some peoples' hearts and so more offence than usual can be taken therefor a dedicated forum would just open up the floodgates for some people to do nothing other than "have a go".

As I've stated before on the subject of dedicated forums there are plenty of them out there on the Internet and this one was started as a forum dedicated to Caithness. We'll never become THE place to discuss a particular topic other than "Caithness". However we have opened up a bit and become a place where things that affect the lives of Caithness folks can be discussed. This obviously brings in a far wider range of topics and we've tried to be as accommodating as possible.

Religion is one of those topics that crops up in threads from time to time as being a reason for or against a decision or action being discussed, so in reality it would be very difficult to ban it entirely. What I think has been shown in this thread are a few views on what upsets people when its mentioned and how often its complained about. I will of course be pointing the complainers of the future to this thread to see what has been said.

Although the poll shows a clear majority in favour of open discussion it should also point out to that majority that there is still a fairly large percentage of members who would rather it was not talked about. I would hope that in future discussions that members will bare this in mind when composing their post and choose their words with care. With that in mind I'll be applying the rules strictly to threads about religion so members should take care how they go about arguing their point as any complaints will be closely scrutinised for validity. In this way I feel that I am bowing to the majority while still doing my bit for the minority. I would also like to say that the point has been made, and I agree, that if you find the topic distasteful, don't read it and that goes for any other topic in the forum.

So, the "Ayes" have it with 103 over 32 and if things can now go on peacefully I'd say its been pretty successful having a poll to sort out the issue.

Thrumster - next to the best pub in the world "The Old Smiddy Inn"

Default Religion on the org

Quote Originally Posted by Niall Fernie
    In this way I feel that I am bowing to the majority while still doing my bit for the minority. I would also like to say that the point has been made, and I agree, that if you find the topic distasteful, don't read it and that goes for any other topic in the forum.

So, the "Ayes" have it with 103 over 32 and if things can now go on peacefully I'd say its been pretty successful having a poll to sort out the issue.
    At last!

Some of us don't post as often because of the lack of thread material to discuss or get your teeth into. The offended will complain, the weak minded will be influenced and the strong minded will fight their little corner until they're black and blue.

Remember one thing - this may be an internet site to promote all things Caithness but while I was away (as most of you know I often am) the amount of comments I get about whinging and limited vision Caithness people can be a pain when you try and promote your county!

Niall got it in one - the majority have it, and whilst I didn't post (given my rant on a heavier religious post ages ago) on this one I will post happily in the future (heh-heh look out!).

I nearly quit the org in Toronto when we saw the offending thread plugged,....dumbing down the org is not what I would like to see but the encouragement of sensible debate. I'm staying now after this result (awww naw I hear golach say!!!) and as Niall says and agrees with, if you find the topic distasteful, don't read it and that goes for any other topic in the forum.

On that note - Hallelujah!

WBG

As one of the original "yes" voters I am delighted with the decision.

Niall, you have obviously given the situation some thought and I can only hope that posters are willing to accept the decision.

There are too many subjects (and I am not referring to the Org here) which presently are being made "taboo" because somebody, somewhere might just possibly, somehow be ever so slightly upset. It seems to me that there is a growing trend by some to use that as an excuse to bully into silence people who think differently to themselves.

I'm afraid I have little sympathy with the, "If they don't see things my way then shut them up." Brigade.
    I am, of course, talking about peoples ideas and beliefs and not the manner which some individuals might use to express them.
    Animals I like, people I tolerate.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567