Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

View Poll Results: Should religion be discussed on the forum?

Voters
135. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

103 76.30%
  • No

32 23.70%
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Religion, taboo or not?

Default Religion, taboo or not?

Vote in this simple poll and then discuss your reasons for why below...

I vote yes.
    I am not a religious person, however religion does play a big part in society and therefore is worthy of discussion.
    It is a sensitive subject, but as long as the debate is carried out in a positive manner, where views are expressed without knocking, belittling, or ridiculing another persons beliefs or religions in general.
    Take a hundred lines:- "The word is INFRACTION not INFARTION"

Yes, religion should be discussed, but only in a sensible manner - unlike what has gone previously (IMO). If someone gets personal, then it should be an automatic ban for the person.

'I feel' 'my views' are all fine and well, but nobodies beliefs should be ridiculed. They have them for personal reasons. Once a thread gets too personal, it should be locked.

I believe that religion is a subject very close to the heart which sometimes makes it difficult to remain level headed, but if its a 'talk sensibly or be banned' scenario, then hopefully people can be more mature & less personal about it.

IMO on previous threads, arguments on opposing sides have both ended up being OTT.

Keep the org friendly

Religion is not taboo, whether you are religious or not it can be a very interesting subject to dabate. It gives millions of people all over the world hope and belief. Whether God is God as depicted in the bible and other holy books, or whether God is nature, as many people believe doesn't really matter. Both have codes which many people centre their lives around. Good or bad practice? Does it matter? It gives us hope. We all want to find out the truth about this great mystery, is there anything wrong with that? or finding out other peoples points of view if that gives a bigger picture and helps our understanding?

Niall where is the poll?

Oh!! Just found it
    Live the Dream, don't dream the life

How can you ban the discussion of a subject that is an integral part of a lot of peoples lives?
    Everyone believes their religion is the only one worth bothering with but that doesn't mean people can't discuss the merits or otherwise of a certain viewpoint.
    Discussion provides understanding provides tolerance, surely that is worth something.

Niall, thanks for the Poll. Your job is difficult, I understand that. The topics discussed are all OK, it is the personal swipes and battles that offend people and cause some threads to be closed (they have to be), not the subject matter.
    Live the Dream, don't dream the life

I think religion is always a good topic for discussion, which should be encouraged. I think forums like this are a great place to discuss and debate something so fundamental to people: what we believe and why.However, I don't think villification and sniping should automatically be part of that discussion. I think most people can have a sensible debate without sledging, but as world events show, often things degenerate pretty rapidly. So no, it's not a taboo topic, but one that needs a lot of self-control and respect for other opinions.

unicorn Guest

discussed sensible and calmly I dont have a problem with it but yesterdays poster in my eyes posted in a bid to upset and flame a situation, it really wasn't a very nice post at all. I am not a religious person but to celebrate the closure of churches is just sad.

Smile

i say yes it should be allowed as well
    in the past i have had very good convo's about religious beliefs or lack of..
    as long as it dosent turn into a slagging match they are great.. very informative.. and you can usually see into another persons perceptions.. and views.. and as long as you are open.. and not demeaning.. that is what makes it work.
    i myself have become very defensive in the past for the simple reason my thoughts and beliefs were ridiculed.. and i struck back.
    but that is the fight or flight instinct.
    we just have to try and not to demean people.. and accept that others do not belive as we individually do.. and get on with it..
    i personally love talking to people of other faiths and beliefs... and comparing the differances and similarities..
    without the incriminations..
    wow i hope that makes sence!
    http://itqueries.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Whitewater View Post
    Niall, thanks for the Poll. Your job is difficult, I understand that. The topics discussed are all OK, it is the personal swipes and battles that offend people and cause some threads to be closed (they have to be), not the subject matter.
    Yes, I agree with Whitewater. No point in writting it twice and you say it so much better than I could have.

No subject should be banned, only bad posters.
    In the image of God? You must be joking!

Gleber2 took the words right out of my mouth. There is a more than adequate infraction system in place on the board (which should be able to deal with those who post inappropriate comments), so I feel there should be no need to ban specific subjects for discussion.
    WeeBurd.

Yes, as long as there is an understanding and respect of other peoples beliefs

Quote Originally Posted by acameron View Post
    Yes, as long as there is an understanding and respect of other peoples beliefs
    With you 100% on this one, respect of beliefs or lack of them.
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

Agree with everyone else on this one - as long as its a proper discussion and not comments made to deliberately upset people.

Yes, religion should be discussed, stopping reasonable argument (without personal attacks) is akin to censorship and more towards "my God is better than your God, and if you don't agree I'll kill you" ok I'm a Humanist but everyone should be allowed their personal beliefs such as 'cargo cult' which was as relevant to the believers as Catholicism is to it's followers. Keep the personal attacks out and it's fine

I've voted yes. There's no reason why the topic should not be discussed with respect, as others have said, for everyone's viewpoint. Same goes for any other topic under the sun.

I am a christian and think that yes, it should be allowed. I have my own experiences and beliefs, and I really enjoy reading the different opinions and experiences that are posted here. I have never had anything said to me that I have found offensive, but there have been things said to others that raise an eyebrow occasionally. I have not been around for the last week, so have missed the latest topics. So I have no comment on them.
    She was not quite what you would call refined, she was not quite what you would call unrefined. She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot. Mark Twain

I voted 'yes', but realise that it is a very contentious issue for some people.....But without frank and free exchange of views, how can an understanding and respect for other people's beliefs be reached?
    The trouble will be in stopping a difference of opinion becoming too heated leading to attacks.
    Freedom of speech with responsibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Gleber2 View Post
    No subject should be banned, only bad posters.
    Absolutely spot on

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast