Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Public Toilets - Gala Night!

Thumbs down Public Toilets - Gala Night!

Whilst on a float and parked at the Riverside I was informed there was no public toilets opened - first thought this was a joke! This was absolutely disgraceful, inconvenient for those taking part as well as families and visitors to the Town. About time the Highland Council and the "powers that be" took a good look at their policies/staffing and stopped blaming everything on cutbacks. Over £7,000.00 collected and donated on the busiest night of the year and yet no public facilities available... grrrr
    Last edited by SHAZREISS; 27-Jul-11 at 20:49.

Really inconvenient!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Norseman Hotel has toilets.

Apparently they were "Out of Order!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by rainbow View Post
    Apparently they were "Out of Order!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
    Not when I went in.

Hope I didn't break them!

I used the hospital toilets and shall continue to do so as long as the hospital is still open.
    My mother seldom said anything, but her sighs were loud enough

The female toilets in the Norseman were blocked.. not a pretty sight.

Quote Originally Posted by SHAZREISS View Post

Whilst on a float and parked at the Riverside I was informed there was no public toilets opened - first thought this was a joke! This was absolutely disgraceful, inconvenient for those taking part as well as families and visitors to the Town. About time the Highland Council and the "powers that be" took a good look at their policies/staffing and stopped blaming everything on cutbacks. Over £7,000.00 collected and donated on the busiest night of the year and yet no public facilities available... grrrr
    Sorry Shazreiss but you need to get your facts correct.Like so many others you are quick to lay the blame with Highland Council when in fact it has nothing to do with them.Opening,closing and cleaning of toilets has been done by a private firm for over a year not the councilThe gala committee were informed of this and given contact details but somehow didn,t follow it up.Same message has been relayed to them for this Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by Eilanboy View Post
    Sorry Shazreiss but you need to get your facts correct.Like so many others you are quick to lay the blame with Highland Council when in fact it has nothing to do with them.Opening,closing and cleaning of toilets has been done by a private firm for over a year not the councilThe gala committee were informed of this and given contact details but somehow didn,t follow it up.Same message has been relayed to them for this Saturday.
    And who pays this private firm to open the toilets normally? They don't charge any entry fee so it must be government (ie council) funded. So if the toilets were to be open on gala night the people who would have to pay the private firm to do it would be the council, no?

The Norseman nor the Hospital should have to put up with hundreds passing through there doors just to use their toilets.

Quote Originally Posted by MusicWicker View Post
    And whos pays this private firm to open the toilets normally? They don't charge any entry fee so it must be government (ie council) funded. So if the toilets were to be open on that night the people who would have to pay the private firm to do it would be the council, no?
    No musicwicker not the council but the organisation who want them kept open

The Hospital letting the public use their toilets, surely never. The Norseman should have barred all the strays except for their customers. Good grief what a state of affairs, public toilets shut. Who pays for them if it is free,they do or used to have an attendant so who pays the wages, interesting subject.Who pays for the cleaning materials ect?

Quote Originally Posted by catran View Post
    The Hospital letting the public use their toilets, surely never. The Norseman should have barred all the strays except for their customers. Good grief what a state of affairs, public toilets shut. Who pays for them if it is free,they do or used to have an attendant so who pays the wages, interesting subject.Who pays for the cleaning materials ect?
    They still have an attendant who would require to be paid for working out of normal hours by the firm who have the contract therefore someone has to pay the firm(the organisation who request the late opening)Thought that would be simple enough for all to understand.It is called "overtime"

They still have an attendant who would require to be paid for working out of normal hours by the firm who have the contract therefore someone has to pay the firm(the organisation who request the late opening)Thought that would be simple enough for all to understand.It is called "overtime"
    Yip, we all undertand HRC 'overtime'. We all see it every year, around March/April when the Binmen are walking along the main roads with black bags on Saturdays picking up litter, and all the other job creation that goes on in other depts. in the name of spending a budget.

Your comment is written in the true style of a 'cooncil' beauricrat and or bean counter defending yet another gumptionless mindset way of thinking.
    How dare the public expect a public toilet to be open on gala night which puts 1000s back into good causes in the town. And who pays for the Town Hall and Assembly Rooms to be opened, if its not the council??

Never mind though, next year we'll all be able to see signposts directing us to a closed toilet in English and Gaelic......
    Last edited by Droopy; 28-Jul-11 at 13:49.

Quote Originally Posted by Droopy View Post
    Yip, we all undertand HRC 'overtime'. We all see it every year, around March/April when the Binmen are walking along the main roads with black bags on Saturdays picking up litter, and all the other job creation that goes on in other depts. in the name of spending a budget.

Your comment is written in the true style of a 'cooncil' beauricrat and or bean counter defending yet another gumptionless mindset way of thinking.
    How dare the public expect a public toilet to be open on gala night which puts 1000s back into good causes in the town. And who pays for the Town Hall and Assembly Rooms to be opened, if its not the council??

Never mind though, next year we'll all be able to see signposts directing us to a closed toilet in English and Gaelic......
    Droopy what bit of the Highland Council is no longer responsible for the opening/closing/staffing/cleaning of public toilets which is contracted out to a private firm do you not understand.
    The Town Hall and Assembly Rooms as far as I am aware are not public toilets and yes the council give those facilities to the Gala Committee Free Gratis during Gala Week
    Just to confirm I am neither a cooncil beaurecrat or a bean counter but someone who bothers to find out the facts before spouting off on the Org.Something you have consistently failed to do.
    You should stand for the Cooncil next may as you appear to know how to run it better than anyone else.

Red face

Droopy what bit of the Highland Council is no longer responsible for the opening/closing/staffing/cleaning of public toilets which is contracted out to a private firm do you not understand.The Town Hall and Assembly Rooms as far as I am aware are not public toilets and yes the council give those facilities to the Gala Committee Free Gratis during Gala WeekJust to confirm I am neither a cooncil beaurecrat or a bean counter but someone who bothers to find out the facts before spouting off on the Org.Something you have consistently failed to do.You should stand for the Cooncil next may as you appear to know how to run it better than anyone else.
    'Contracted out' as we all know is Cooncil wishy washy talk for 'we were unable to run something within a budget due to our ineffiences, we will therefor pay a private company the same budget to make a profit for a reduced service while we all keep our pen pushing/beancounting jobs, it also allows us to blame someone else when very noticeable services like public toilets etc come under scrutiny while we hide in our lvory Tower'

Thats 2 times out of 2 replies to my posts Eilanboy where you have suggested l run for the Council........have l touched a nerve with you or do you just not like other peoples opinion which differ from yours? You seem to be very well informned of all things 'Cooncil' and very protective of them?
    Last edited by Droopy; 28-Jul-11 at 16:49.

[QUOTE=Droopy;873402]'Contracted out' as we all know is Cooncil wishy washy talk for 'we were unable to run something within a budget due to our ineffiences, we will therfor pay a private company the same budget to make a profit for a reduced service while we all keep our pen pushing/beancounting jobs, it also allows us to blame someone else when very noticeable services like public toilets etc come under scrutiny while we hide in our lvory Tower'

Thats 2 times out of 2 replies to my posts Eilanboy where you have suggested l run for the Council........have l touched a nerve with you or do you just not like other peoples opinion which differ from yours? You seem to be very well informned of all things 'Cooncil' and very protective of them?[/QUO

Well informed but not protective by any means

So, does anyone know who this outside company is? For feck sake I'll pay it myself next year if I have to! A whole 2 hours overtime, surely no more than £60 even on triple time.

Time someone stood up and took account for burying their head in the sand here when they knew there would be a backlash after the gala.

Ask one of the local councillor's to see if they give you an answer.