Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: William MacDonald and Barbara Cameron MacDonald - Rheay, Caithness

Default William MacDonald and Barbara Cameron MacDonald - Rheay, Caithness

Hi, I am trying to trace my husband's ancestors prior to their immigration to Canada. William MacDonald we believe to be the son of Alexander MacDonald and Eliza Campbell. We have nothing further only that William their son was born in 1783 in Caithness. He married Barbara Cameron from Braalbin in 1802 at Rheay Parish in Caithness. They established their family in Thurso and in 1831 they immigrated to the east coast of Canada, landing in Pictou, Nova Scotia. We don't know what ship they sailed on but they arrived in the fall of 1831. Besides his wife Barbara Cameron, William MacDonald was accompanied by his daughter Elizabeth (b 1803) and her husband Warren Miller. Along with their oldest daughter and her husband the following children accompanied William and his wife to Canada - John (b 1808), Margaret (b 1810), George (b 1817). Alexander (b 1819 ) and William (b 1821). If anyone can give me any information on Alexander MacDonald and his wife Eliza Campbell or any siblings of William's I would be most grateful. thank you

Default William Macdonald, Toullichen

I found the following information on a sheet of paper inserted within a book in Wick Library 20 years ago.

Roups advertised in church (note to page 146)

The following notice of roup and verification, maybe seen in the museum of the public library at Wick.

“Roup and sale for ready money only at the farm of Toullichen possessed by William Macdonald tenant there upon Thursday the thirteenth day of January next the following subjects, viz-:

1. A red cow horned white flanked
    2. A black cow horned
    3. A brown cow horned
    4. A dunn cow horned.
    5. A black polled cow and
    6. another black polled cow,
    or at least a part of said subjects, being that poinded from the said William Macdonald at instance of David Murray, wright in Thurso”.

“Thurso the 30th December 1824, at Halkirk, 2nd January 1825 I do hereby certify that I have published the within advertisement at the parish church immediately after the dismissing of the congregation. James Sutherland”