Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Ship my Grandfather served on during Great War

Default Ship my Grandfather served on during Great War

Hi
    Can anybody help. I am trying to find out which ship my Grandfather Alexander Sinclair Clyne served on during the Great War. On a record I have it states that he was a gunner but doesn't say which ship he served on. Can any one point me in the right direction to find out?.
    Robertc

Robert,

If you have your grandfather's service number, then you could try contacting the Fleet Air Arm Museum through their website at...

http://www.fleetairarm.com/

I have used them in the past to obtain service records of family members, and they hold service records for both the Royal Navy, and the Royal Naval Reserve, etc.

I did try the National Archives website, http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/, but the only Alexander Clyne that comes up is for the Royal Naval Reserve - an Alexander Baillie Clyne of Wick. But, bear in mind that this is only representative of the documents which are searchable online.

I would imagine the Fleet Air Arm museum would be your best bet if you have Alexander's service number.

Steven

Thanks Steven
    I think I have a service medal of Granddads. I will check to see if his sservice number is on it thanks for the advice.
    Robertc

service number should be on the edge of medal