Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What's Your Favourite Solo?

ye the sweeps are incredible shame that the recording quality isnt great tho. entionin japan got a vid of paul gilbert live in tokyo i think i was when he does his solo spot for 'mr big' and he dus the drill picking that is sum solo like and so is his track let the computer decide

i absolutely love the solo in comfortably numb!!
    fave solo atm is definitely second heartbeat by avenged sevenfold,
    fave solo of all time, i rly dnt no

Quote Originally Posted by Chobbersjnr View Post
    point of information J/wock wasn't it Jean Luc Ponty that played the violin
    Chobbers, you kinda got me there; no, it wasn't. Just dug out my vinyl copy - Ponty was violin on "It must be a Camel". But it wasn't Sugar Cane Robinson, either. Silly me. Let's try Sugar Cane Harris, and I'll try to hide my embarrassment by blaming age and decrepitude

I bought the CD of Hot Rats about 12 months ago to rip it to my mp3 collection (a struggle to find people who'd even heard of it :-) ) and was interested to find they'd re-recorded, or at least, fairly heavily re-edited, The Gumbo Variations opening. Not as good - the rythm's changed and there's too much of Zappa gabbing away in the background. But the violin is as dirty as ever - just amazing.

in a house wi lights, but it is a light house

Quote Originally Posted by j4bberw0ck View Post
    Chobbers, you kinda got me there; no, it wasn't. Just dug out my vinyl copy - Ponty was violin on "It must be a Camel". But it wasn't Sugar Cane Robinson, either. Silly me. Let's try Sugar Cane Harris, and I'll try to hide my embarrassment by blaming age and decrepitude

I bought the CD of Hot Rats about 12 months ago to rip it to my mp3 collection (a struggle to find people who'd even heard of it :-) ) and was interested to find they'd re-recorded, or at least, fairly heavily re-edited, The Gumbo Variations opening. Not as good - the rythm's changed and there's too much of Zappa gabbing away in the background. But the violin is as dirty as ever - just amazing.

ahhh OK cool

I've only ever heard it on vynil. I was cursing the album because I thought FZ was doing nothing more than ripping off The Mahavishnu Orchestra untill I read the Hot Rats sleeve & realised it was recorded the year before TMO

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by tierce-de-picardie View Post
    hmm probably chris impelliteris version of somewhere over the rainbow my god that really does it for me.

or the sax solo in gunners dream by pink floyed in the final cut its so rhaspy and dirty and jsut makes u shiver with enjoiment.

and my all tiem fav has to be lotus feet gutiat concerto by steve vai from his new album real illusions reflections that really sends a shiver up my spine great composing performed with metrepole orkest. was amazing seeing him play it live
    yeah tierce i love that tune so emotional ,he makes great use of 5ths ,to see that live must have been totally awsome
    Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law

which tune are u tlaking about lol. lotus feet? it is an amazing song i wanted to see if i could get the orchestral score for it and ask suzie dingle conductor of hyro if it could be playd but i askd dave weiner nd he dusnt think there is one available so oh well.

ooh ooh jsut remember in steve vais fire garden album the fire garden suite there is the most fantastic acoustic and piano solo/duet its so florrid and creative

Gary Moore - "Empty Rooms" live in Stockhom on "Wild Frontier" Video - pure emotion.
    You get what you give

I am not sure, but I think it might be 'Seasons in the Abyss' by Slayer, the whole song gives me goosebumps and the sax in 'Baker Street' by Gerry Rafferty.
    How are we supposed to pick one Saveman?

he he baker streert now that is a song played sax to that at the big gig butt he fool i am forgot to switch the mic on for the first part lol ha ha but oh well was fun all the smae

So you play sax? Do you want to give me lessons?

hmm im not amazing altho currently studying for grade 8 i cud teach u basics and so on. do you have a sax?

fav solo would have to be in beutiful occupation by travis.
    "We are buried beneath the weight of information, which is being confused with knowledge; quantity is being confused with abundance, and wealth with happiness. We are monkeys with money and guns." ~ Tom Waits

Thumbs up

one of my favorite solo's has to be marty friedman's solo on megadeth's eye of the tornado totally awsome

1st time i heard Kansas was at my mates in thurso when i was over whupping ur asses at scrambling man they were the days, But anyhows this solo lasts about 2mins its an old les paul gold top, it brings me to my knees every time i hear it, Its on the track magnum opus

he he marty friedman now theres a player. he was at his best with becker i think the stuff they would write proper neo clasical speed metal he he. but always found friedan a bit arogant becker was the best shame hes paralysd these days

he he marty friedman now theres a player. he was at his best with becker i think the stuff they would write proper neo clasical speed metal he he. but always found friedan a bit arogant becker was the best shame hes paralysd these days
    They worked together as cacophony didnt they? Hmm, I think I have their stuff still, havent listened to it in ages...

cacophony i missed that out. ye i got loadsa there stuff best track is speed metal symphony and black cat. speed metal symphony is sum piece tho they were pretty yung when they wrote that. i lvoe serrana by becker expecially the arpegios i lvoe playing them he he ther imensly hard tho i lvoe how becker can make a proper melody out of arps not jsut a set of chord based arpegios for showing off

cacophony i missed that out. ye i got loadsa there stuff best track is speed metal symphony and black cat. speed metal symphony is sum piece tho they were pretty yung when they wrote that. i lvoe serrana by becker expecially the arpegios i lvoe playing them he he ther imensly hard tho i lvoe how becker can make a proper melody out of arps not jsut a set of chord based arpegios for showing off
    Yeah, just listened to speed metal symphony, excellent stuff.. You heard much of Joe Stump or David Valdez?

yeah ive got that stuff too it's excellent becker is leathal

Over the pond, but not quite over the hill yet

Quote Originally Posted by Saveman View Post

We've had the greatest guitarist thread.....now what's your favourite solo??

It can be guitar, sax, piano....whatever.....but it's gotta send a shiver up your spine!
    Chris Botti's trumpet solos do it for me!! His music has sent a shiver up my spine many a time!!!
    I am living for today, always remembering yesterday, and looking forward to tomorrow!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast