Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whale stranding today 22/07/2011

Default Whale stranding today 22/07/2011

Went over to the Kyle of Durness, fair size pod of Long Finned Pilot Whales with a few stranded right inside the Kyle.

www.tugmistress.co.uk

www.tugmistress.co.uk

Pretty amazing fotos....BTW....who are the people in the foto?? s

i have no idea who most of them are except i seem to recognise the guy with the bald head between the mum and calf, and audrey gunn from sspca balmore at mums head.

Just found out that about another 30 from the main pod have stranded on a small beach a little further up the Kyle where they were put for relative safety due to the tide going out

More info here
    Last edited by Tugmistress; 22-Jul-11 at 22:08.
    www.tugmistress.co.uk

Some years ago whilst off Bermuda, approx 600 miles East of New York in a 34 foot sailboat, we were surrounded by a pod and it was quite incredible.
    Some were twice the length of our boat and some were quite a bit smaller, likely babies.
    They stayed with us for quite a while, altho' we had concerns that they could surface under the sailboat, but they seemed quite contented to swim alongside, and I mean close, whilst they gave us a free shower.....
    Truly wild beauty.....
    We also had porpoises running at the bow several days in a row.

I am so glad that there are people who help...I understand 'Thumper' does that type of thing....again beautiful pics!
    I take it the tides are quite substantial there?

It's an estuary so runs a bit wierd compared to coastal, the main problem is that after a few hours the whales bodies (which are not designed to be out of water) start to get damage from the muscle compression, a bit like we do with a crush injury, and this damaged muscle will start to produce toxins which when the reach the liver and kidneys will slowly poison the creature there is only a window of a few hours to get any 'fit' animals in to the water before the damage is irreversible

thumper has taken over as area co ordinator, a job i used to do a few years ago.
    www.tugmistress.co.uk

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Tugmistress View Post
    i have no idea who most of them are except i seem to recognise the guy with the bald head between the mum and calf, and audrey gunn from sspca balmore at mums head.

Just found out that about another 30 from the main pod have stranded on a small beach a little further up the Kyle where they were put for relative safety due to the tide going out

More info here
    You probably recognise him from sea angling trips.He's been of doing training in whale rescue recently and once you do it you can be called up,kinda like the coastguard i suppose.
    He was leaving work around lunchtime today,i thought he was on a halfer but he told me he had just got the call to go out,a very worthwhile thing to do.good on ya Mark.
    Last edited by Mystical Potato Head; 22-Jul-11 at 22:25.

Thanks MPH, that's where i know his face from
    www.tugmistress.co.uk

Tks for info....s

Just typed a long "story" on here.........just to have it totally disappear .......

So I'll make it "smaller".........Fantastic photos; Love marine wildlife; Well done the "rescuers" ! ;What happened to them?
    I'm the kind of woman whose feet hit the floor each morning, and the Devil says........... " Oh, Blast She's Up !! "

It's still on the go, i reckon that all the people involved wont be home before lunchtime tomorrow.
    www.tugmistress.co.uk

Thanks Tuggs for the update !

Please keep us informed about these beautiful marine mammals...........we're all keeping everything crossed for a safe return to the sea for them.....
    I'm the kind of woman whose feet hit the floor each morning, and the Devil says........... " Oh, Blast She's Up !! "

There was an interview with one of the rescuers, James Dyer, on the Today programme this morning
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/today/hi/today...00/9546063.stm

Also BBC News are asking for photos etc. - maybe for you Tuggs?
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...lands-14251787

I'm sure many news programmes will be following the story.
    The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

just a quick update - been told some of the more recent strandings have been refloated so i assume the pod has managed to exit the Kyle, or i hope so anyway. Unfortunately in reality i would expect some of these will have sustained damage internally due to being on land for a while so it could possibly produce either another stranding or some fatalities washing up with the tide.

I would just like to add a huge well done to those that stayed out with them last night and did everything they could.
    www.tugmistress.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Tugmistress View Post

I would just like to add a huge well done to those that stayed out with them last night and did everything they could.
    I would like to second that. You could see the huge amount of effort and dedication by those who had the knowledge to help, in what at times must have seemed an almost hopeless task. It was also easy to see that many were visibly distressed by the plight of these impressive animals, and their inablilty to help some of them.

Latest news is 25 dead, 45 back out in to open sea, volunteers are keeping an eye on the coastline but no sightings of the main pod that i know of so hopefully headed back out in to the atlantic.
    www.tugmistress.co.uk

Amazing fotos Tugmistress

Well done to all those guys and girls who help save those that they could.
    Last edited by kara; 24-Jul-11 at 09:15.

Whales do get stranded as we have viewed above. I have watched people all over the world trying to get them free and back into their habitat again.

Hi everyone, yes indeed I was in attendance at this stranding, I would like to take this opportunity to say a huge thank you to all the locals and holiday makers who dropped everything to give us a hand. It was greatly appreciated and of great help to us all. Obviously, we can get intouch with people like the CG and Navy who helped out directly, but cannot get in touch with everyone who turned up and offered help, towels, sheets, blankets, buckets, etc. Without that help our job would have been even harder! I would also like to say a huge thank you to the owners of the Oasis in Durness for the amazing soup, sandwiches, tea, coffee, water, biscuits, etc. that they donated to keep us all fuelled up. It was very good of them! People's kindness and commitment shone out at this stranding, something we were all very grateful for! Finally can I end by putting in the link for the BDMLR website so that you can find out any more information if you are interested in what we do. Thanks again! x

http://www.bdmlr.org.uk
    The nice thing about living in a small place is that if you dont know what you are doing....there's always somebody who does,or thinks they do! x

Quite a Team/ well done.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast