Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: 5th Battalion Seaforth Highlanders

Default 5th Battalion Seaforth Highlanders

Hello all,

I know this is a long shot, but i have seen other photographs that exist (see the links below). I was hoping someone had a copy of the following photograph.

My G.Grandfather served with F Company (Wick and Lybster), 5th (Caithness and Sutherland) Seaforth Highlanders. He was awarded the Military Medal for fighting on the Somme.

My G.Grandfather, George Lyon Bartlett, appeared in a photograph in the newspaper called the "Northern Ensign" on 25th April 1916. It was a group photograph of his Company, and after research I believe it to have been taken at Corbie, France.

There are a couple of photos of the 5th Seaforth Highlanders that I have found at the following website which seem to show the same building, and they have been identified as having been taken at Corbie, France, in 1916.

I was hoping that someone may have an unidentifed military photograph in their possesion which matches the photographs that can be found following the links below. If they do, then I would love to have a copy of the picture. I have a copy of the photograph from the newspaper, but unfortunately it is of a poor quality. Although I have a copy of the photograph from the newspaper, I haven't posted it here because I haven't sought permission to do so. However, the links I have given should help you identify the building, and if you have any photographs that show a similar layout, and similar building, then I would hope to hear from you, should you believe it to be relevant to the Caithness & Sutherland Seaforth Highlanders.

http://www.historyli...e/number814.asp

http://www.historyli.../number7597.asp

I have also posted this query on a dedicated WW1 message forum, but nothing yet. I live in hope, but realise that the chances of finding someone with a copy of the picture are extremely remote. However, as I have my head in the clouds at the moment, maybe I will send you all a weather report. LOL

Regards,

Steven

Have a look in johnstoncollection.net there are some Seaforth images of soldiers in WW1

Hi Mosser,

Thanks for the suggestion. It's been a while since I looked for military photos at the website, so it'll be worth trying again.

However, the photo I am particularly interested in was taken in Corbie, France - or should I say, I am pretty certain it was. It matches the pictures on the history links website.

Anyway, I know it was a real longshot that someone would have a copy of this particular Company, but you never know.

Steven