Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Craigston or Craigstown?

Unhappy Craigston or Craigstown?

is it Craigstown or Craigton? and where is it?
    On 1861 Census it looks like "Craigtton Parish of Wick".
    On a birth registration in 1863 it's "Craigston Burgh of Wick".
    On a death registration in 1868 it looks more like "Craigtown District of Wick".

I've googled Craigton/Craigtown and can't find a clear answer; it's not on the O.S. First series Map #116 as far as I can see.

I seem to remember reading somewhere about a landowner named Craig but I cannot find that information again either .

Can anyone help?
    Martin

Quote Originally Posted by McS29614 View Post
    is it Craigstown or Craigton? and where is it?
    On 1861 Census it looks like "Craigtton Parish of Wick".
    On a birth registration in 1863 it's "Craigston Burgh of Wick".
    On a death registration in 1868 it looks more like "Craigtown District of Wick".

I've googled Craigton/Craigtown and can't find a clear answer; it's not on the O.S. First series Map #116 as far as I can see.

I seem to remember reading somewhere about a landowner named Craig but I cannot find that information again either .

Can anyone help?
    Martin
    Craigstown was a farm more or less where Henrietta Street, Wick, is today.
    Mosser

Thanks Mosser,

Do you know anything about the history of Craigstown Farm? My great great grandfather lived there between 1851 and 1891.
    Thanks in advance
    Martin

Quote Originally Posted by McS29614 View Post
    Thanks Mosser,

Do you know anything about the history of Craigstown Farm? My great great grandfather lived there between 1851 and 1891.
    Thanks in advance
    Martin
    Sorry I made a typo, it should be Craigston. Sorry that I have no more info on the farm
    Mosser

Hi Martin, did you ever find out any more about Craigstown? Was your gg gf William Budge? I only ask as I am trying to trace my gg gf James Sinclair who was a Ploughman at Hillhead in the 1880s and looking at the Groat at that time William Budge is described as a Farmer living at Hillhead, but on the 1881 census he is described as being at Craigstown. Assuming this is the same man, did you discover anything more about him or the farm? Malcolm