Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Asda Planning Passed

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Asda Planning Passed

I've just heard from my Dad (Bill Fernie) who is in Inverness just now, that Adsa's planning application has been passed, 18 votes for and 8 against.

woohoo!!!! great news niall, thanks for letting us know

Its good to see that commensense won through in the end.
    Never judge someone until you have walked two moons in their moccasins.

Native American Indian saying.

Is it at the original site?

Wonder who the 8 were against?

Wonderful news! Nice to see that common sense prevailed in the end!!!

Fantastic news.

Look forward to shopping when it opens.

unicorn Guest

absolutely fantastic news!!!!!!!!!! well done to all for making these people see sense......

Default Asda Planning Passed

Delighted to hear something positive for Thurso Area, only wish it could have been dealt with in Caithness, and not have to have Inverness show us the way forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Niall Fernie View Post
    I've just heard from my Dad (Bill Fernie) who is in Inverness just now, that Adsa's planning application has been passed, 18 votes for and 8 against.

who was for and who was against it ??

Does it really matter Paul?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr P Cannop View Post
    who was for and who was against it ??
    What difference does it make? The end result is the same. Asda is on its way, 18 votes say so, 8 votes don't have a say in the matter. End of story.
    Last edited by henry20; 27-Sep-06 at 16:44. Reason: re-worded

I think we do need to know Henry, after all our votes keep them in power so to speak and if they are still not representing the people properly then we need to know to maybe make a change.

Quote Originally Posted by bigjjuk View Post
    I think we do need to know Henry, after all our votes keep them in power so to speak and if they are still not representing the people properly then we need to know to maybe make a change.
    Used in the right way, this information may prove useful to some, but the last Asda thread (IMO) turned into a mini hate campaign for those that voted against or weren't there.

Fantastic news for the county.. particularly us weeman folk o' Kaitness!!
    WeeBurd.

Default The day cometh

Quote Originally Posted by henry20 View Post
    Used in the right way, this information may prove useful to some, but the last Asda thread (IMO) turned into a mini hate campaign for those that voted against or weren't there.
    Those people were elected to represent the views of the public and quite clearly did not. There was some self-interest which is unacceptable in ademocracy and they must now be brought to book through the ballot box. Knowing how Caithness councillors voted is essential. There may have been some hate which is a pity but that does not alter the fact that tghey did not represented the views of the vast majority.
    Come May they will see the error of their ways.

That's great news!!! Its definitely what this town needs.

Donald Guest

Default Asda

Interesting to see local councillors being over-ruled by their masters in Inverness. Looking at how local shopkeepers struggle in the Highland capital does not make me think Highland Council knows best.

The case against ASDA is very strong. No-one can pretend that it will be good for Thurso. Cheap food but at too high a price.

All ASDA care about is market share. If they make a profit in Thurso, well that's okay but really this is all about Tesco and ASDA trying to be the number one. If the local food retail market is wiped out they won't care. If local shops go to the wall, they won't care. When we moan about the lack of variety and good quality shops, they won't care.

Sad really. Of course they could do what happens in Ireland where the supermarkets are forced to provide an arcade of shops for local businesses at reasonable rents. But, as I say, ASDA don't care.

And that's before we even start on the arguements of food miles, standards of employment and exploitation of farmers in the developing world.

There are loads of websites with info on all of this. see www.tescopoly.com as an example of this.

Don't suppose any of this will change anyone's mind but makes me feel better getting it off my chest

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    If the local food retail market is wiped out they won't care.
    I would have to disagree Donald - if the butchers & bakers can survive competing against Co-Op & Somerfield at the moment, then Asda & Tesco will make little difference. Anyone that enjoys quality meat knows that the butchers meat is of much higher standard than the packaged meat at the supermarkets.

I very rarely use a bakers - nor do I buy baking from the supermarkets, but on the rare occassions that I have, the bakers win every time.

If they keep their standards up, they should have no worries! Some people will always go for cost over quality, but not always. The people who currently support the local butchers will still do so. Personally, I use both and will continue to do so.

Technically, this has nothing to do with whether Asda care or not, but it doesn't have to be the end for local retailers.

Donald Guest

Default Asda

Henry20, I don't think it will be the end for local retailers either. There will always be people like myself who only shop in supermarkets when there is no other option. Equally some people only want a loaf of bread so again are less likely to go the supermarket.

The point is that as money is not spent on the High Street then new shops that might have opened won't. Those that are there will struggle and the potential to create a thriving local centre is lost.

The more general point about ASDA is that they are not local. Any profits they make are taken out of the local community and their main concern is their shareholders in America not the needs of the local community.

Of course the sad truth is that how we spend our money makes a difference and if we choose not to shop locally then local shops will close. And of course you can't force people to shop in one place rather than another. But it's not an even playing field. ASDA have cheap rates because they are not in the centre, then gain huge economies of scale and of course they don't even have to make a profit. How can local businesses compete with that?

Donald.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast