Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

View Poll Results: Should puppy sales be banned again?

Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

27 30.34%
  • No.

52 58.43%
  • Maybe.

8 8.99%
  • I don't know.

2 2.25%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Puppy sales on .org

Quote Originally Posted by Tilter View Post
    Ni

With all respect, I would say the economic downturn is precisely the reason puppy sales advertising should be banned on the org. Because of the economic downturn, far more dogs are coming into rescue kennels to be rehomed and, because kennels are full to bursting and staff and volunteers stretched to the limit, many many more dogs are simply being abandoned. It is also a fact that puppy sales are down due to the economy and we're seeing more puppies in rescue because their breeders are unable to find buyers for them.
    Not being able to to advertise on the org will not slow down breeders. These are litters that are already in existance and will be sold or abandoned no matter what. The one and only thing that will change the way breeders work is that their clients demand more of them and refuse to deal with them when they are not doing what they should. And all these potential puppy clients are too at fault, as they could home a rescue dog instead creating the market for puppies.
    An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing

There will always be a demand for puppies no matter what anyone does. What would put breeders off more is if buyers would only buy from health tested registered dogs. Or some kind of law meant that you could ONLY sell from a litter that has had all the relevant tests and no other pups could be sold. This would put off a lot of back yard breeders however im also aware that it would be difficut to enforce but surely something can be done

Well maybe we should all lobby for change and put it to someone in parliment surely if there was enough weight behind a petition then it would be listened to. No point us all moaning on here and not actually doing anything about it.
    You can please some o the fowk some of the time, but you canna please all o the fowk all of the time.

The original puppy sales were banned as there was a lot of bad feeling going around.. ie, see my for sale advert and you will see what I'm talking about. This person claims that I'm doing the breed a disservice and yet he can't even read the post correctly!!!

As far as I'm aware that was one of the reasons the posts were banned. I had been told that someone requested the posts be banned and it was aimed personally at me.

I emailed Mr Fernie directly and requested that the ban be lifted and was told that it was a big NO and it wouldn't be lifted at all and I was wasting my time asking. Low and behold a few weeks later, it was lifted without being publicy announced. I asked that it be lifted as it definately singled out Lab puppies. Many other pups of a slightly older age were being allowed to be sold, older dogs and other animals were being sold so why should Labs be the only pups not allowed? For everyone's information as Oakley2007 want's to point out, I'm not desperate to sell the last pup and I may already have a buyer lined up and it wasn't through the org.

I just read the bit about not being able to distinguish between private sellers and breeders - none of this was in the email I received about why the ban was put in place. To be honest it's all just a downright mess and those of us that are doing it responsibly - regardless of what some idiots think - are being lumped in with those that aren't.
    Last edited by crustyroll; 21-Jul-11 at 22:24.
    "I ask forgiveness continuously for I know he knows, somethings just have to be experienced"

Quote Originally Posted by Tilter View Post
    Lots of forums do not allow advertising the sale of sentient beings and the org should also take the lead in this.
    This should be a blanket ban then on all animals and of all ages, they are all sentinent beings.
    "I ask forgiveness continuously for I know he knows, somethings just have to be experienced"

So why did you fight so hard to have the ban lifted if you don't need to sell through the org after all ?

I was just thinking what I could do with 450 quid.... that would pay for a lot of food for rescue dogs and I could still get a wonderful lab from the rescue place whilst helping so many others to be fed and looked after....
    How much of the money you are getting are you putting back into rescue ?

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
    So why did you fight so hard to have the ban lifted if you don't need to sell through the org after all ?
    Why shouldn't I? If everyone else could do it why couldn't I??? Am I meant to just roll over shut my mouth and accept that, sorry, NO. It's just another outlet that someone out there might find the right pup for them.

I was just thinking what I could do with 450 quid.... that would pay for a lot of food for rescue dogs and I could still get a wonderful lab from the rescue place whilst helping so many others to be fed and looked after....
    I could do an awful lot with that money too but again its all down to personal choice. If you want to go down that route, how many people could feed a dog or two by not buying that extra packet of fags one week???? If you get a wonderful lab from a rescue then you are doing well but I know what I want and it's not they type of Lab that tends to end up in rescue. That's my choice and some others as well. Well all the vets bills I pay help with the PDSA, I support the SSPCA and I always take any dog back if need be, so I'm also supporting the rescue's in that they don't have another dog filling it up, okay?

I was just thinking what I could do with 450 quid.
    Just thinking... would you be more happy paying £350 for a puppy rather than £450? Have you stopped to ask why a lot of pups are selling for £350 and I'm charging more???

Why are you having a go at Crustyroll when she is one of the 'good guys'?

Whilst I applaud anyone who gives a home to a rescue dog ,there is nothing wrong with buying a dog from a reputable breeder.

I have bought my last three dogs as I wanted a Sheltie and there were none in shelters.

I consider it money well spent as my dog is my best friend and the most wonderful companion I could wish for. I don't smoke, drink or go on holiday and the pleasure he has given me was worth the cost!

I also support animal charities including KWK9 which do a wonderful job rehoming stray and unwanted dogs.
    "Until one has loved an animal part of their soul remains unawakened"

Quote Originally Posted by crustyroll View Post
    This should be a blanket ban then on all animals and of all ages, they are all sentinent beings.
    I was referring to dogs specifically because far too many, especially staffies, are being overbred by irresponsible back yard breeders. The demand cannot meet the supply and results in thousands of dogs being killed in pounds as a result and hundreds of thousands more ending up in rescue. I don't know if this holds true for other species so cannot say if I think there should be a ban on advertising their sale.

I could do an awful lot with that money too but again its all down to personal choice. If you want to go down that route, how many people could feed a dog or two by not buying that extra packet of fags one week????
    Now, that comparison limps BIG TIME....

If you get a wonderful lab from a rescue then you are doing well but I know what I want and it's not they type of Lab that tends to end up in rescue.
    So you just make more so that more end up in rescue ? Well, at least we all get more to choose from :-(

Well all the vets bills I pay help with the PDSA
    They do ? How ?

I support the SSPCA
    Financially or practically (just asking out of interest) ?

and I always take any dog back if need be, so I'm also supporting the rescue's in that they don't have another dog filling it up, okay?
    and if you take that thought further there would be another dog less in rescue if you weren't selling a puppy and 6 if you weren't selling 6 ... and 20 less .... and so on....

Puppy sales should not be banned but I think that the whole thing on here is that if they are advertised locally then the breeder can keep up to date and visit the pups and make sure that they r just used for pets unless the breeder says other words then the dog could be used for showing or breeding but if there at no papers with the pups then when it is old enough it should be spayed so then u can't make money from them I no someone who had boxer pups this yr and I ws told that it was just for makin money and that they might do it again nxt yr aswell even tho her bitch nearly died after havin to be sectioned but I also no someone who a has labs and she's no made a penny from it as she has done all the health tests and has paper and 4 wks free insurance with the pups and they r so well tempermented it's beautifulMy gsd I have had for 7 yes has been spayed and my new pup will be aswell as I couldn't have any pups as I would want to keep them all We all have our own oppinion but unless the £ of gettin a dog spayed gets lower ( which it won't ) then there will always be pups on the go so it dosent matter if they r foe sale on here or not they will find a way to sell them

If done properly i.e. with all the heath tests and vet involvement then breeding is pretty much a non profit thing to do. Breeding for money is just disgusting and really shouldnt be allowed. Yes mop top i think something has to be done and as you say rightly moaning on here wont change a thing. Crusty i dont doubt your love and devotion for your animals but i know enough that if the hip score is over the breed standard then you shouldnt breed with the dog - sorry but that is fact x. I think i may start the ball rolling this morning. Would the kennel club be the best way to start do you think?

i voted NO to the sale of puppies being banned!

i don't see why they shouldn't be allowed to be sold on here, just because a reputable breeder doesn't need to advertise on here doesn't mean they shouldn't be allowed to advertise on here. and the comment that someone made about there being too many puppies on sale in proportion to the people is ridiculous caithness is massive and its not just people from caithness that use the site don't be so stupid. and maybe there are so many staffy and staffy crosses because thats the breed people are wanting nowadays because they are so lovable, i got my staffy cross from here and he is gorgeous and so well behaved had him for a good 2 year now its got to be and if it wasn't for the org i wouldn't of got him. pure breeds are nothing but hassle in my opinion and have too many health defects and are bred in such a way as to encourage the defects in some dogs like breathing and heart problems and the list goes on so bring on the muts, and these new designer dogs are just pure breeds that were accidentally bred and given a new name to make money and people paid for them so now they are crossing all sorts of pure breeds to make new designer breeds which have more health problems than pure breeds. if any puppy sales should be banned its the pure breed pups that should be banned because they were bred into health problems and is cruel in my opinion especially little dogs like pugs that were bred to have more and more flattened faces and excess skin resulting in breathing problems, thats the crime not selling puppies on here, this is a community site where you will know where the puppies are going to in most cases and if any problem occurred you could get the puppy back and rehome it.

oh and if anyone knows itsteven who advertised for the staffy cross for lisa could you tell him or her if you know her to get in touch as i have tried phoning and pm'ing about the dog but to no avail, our neighbour just gave away their dog due to having a kid and my dog is lost without his wee companion to tease with the ball through the fence lol
    Put that in your pipe and smoke it!

Quote Originally Posted by GetWithTheTimes View Post
    i voted NO to the sale of puppies being banned!

i don't see why they shouldn't be allowed to be sold on here, just because a reputable breeder doesn't need to advertise on here doesn't mean they shouldn't be allowed to advertise on here. and the comment that someone made about there being too many puppies on sale in proportion to the people is ridiculous caithness is massive and its not just people from caithness that use the site don't be so stupid. and maybe there are so many staffy and staffy crosses because thats the breed people are wanting nowadays because they are so lovable, i got my staffy cross from here and he is gorgeous and so well behaved had him for a good 2 year now its got to be and if it wasn't for the org i wouldn't of got him. pure breeds are nothing but hassle in my opinion and have too many health defects and are bred in such a way as to encourage the defects in some dogs like breathing and heart problems and the list goes on so bring on the muts, and these new designer dogs are just pure breeds that were accidentally bred and given a new name to make money and people paid for them so now they are crossing all sorts of pure breeds to make new designer breeds which have more health problems than pure breeds. if any puppy sales should be banned its the pure breed pups that should be banned because they were bred into health problems and is cruel in my opinion especially little dogs like pugs that were bred to have more and more flattened faces and excess skin resulting in breathing problems, thats the crime not selling puppies on here, this is a community site where you will know where the puppies are going to in most cases and if any problem occurred you could get the puppy back and rehome it.

oh and if anyone knows itsteven who advertised for the staffy cross for lisa could you tell him or her if you know her to get in touch as i have tried phoning and pm'ing about the dog but to no avail, our neighbour just gave away their dog due to having a kid and my dog is lost without his wee companion to tease with the ball through the fence lol
    Your ignorance is beyond belief! The whole point of health testing prior to breeding is to AVOID heallth issues

Quote Originally Posted by caithgal View Post
    Your ignorance is beyond belief! The whole point of health testing prior to breeding is to AVOID heallth issues
    how can you avoid health issues that have been bred into certain breeds of dogs???

your stupidity is beyond belief, there are health issues with lots of breeds and they have been bred that way over a long long time and we are the ones to blame we created the domestic dog and all of its good and bad points there were no domestic dogs to start with they were all wild and we bred them into the dogs you see today including causing health defects in the dogs in attempt to get them to have more folds of skin or shorter legs or flatter faces
    Last edited by GetWithTheTimes; 22-Jul-11 at 11:15.

There are also GOOD breeders who breed to get their line back to the correct standard and to AVOID health issues however i guess you just cannot see that. No health issue or behaviour issue can be avoided completely however by breeding correctly you can begin to eliminate issues

and everyone greeting about the dogs going to shelters and blaming the breeders here's a thought!!!

try lecturing the people that take on the puppies and don't train them and put them in the shelter in the first place, breeders wouldn't breed the dogs if they couldn't give them homes and its not their fault that the new owners give them up, try having a go at the irresponsible owners that get bored and give the dogs up or impulse buy a dog then realize that they cant cope and give them up

and having a go at crustyroll for being a loving caring breeder who clearly loves the dogs he/she breeds and wouldn't see them go to harm just shows how low a lot of the people will stoop on this site just to have an argument i for one hope the narrow minded argument seekers on this site don't get to breed and make more annoying argumentative brats to grow up and turn out like them, you can be assured if you could sell their offspring they would be running at a loss and they would all be in the childrens shelter for sure and nobody would rescue them lol

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast