Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

View Poll Results: Should puppy sales be banned again?

Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

27 30.34%
  • No.

52 58.43%
  • Maybe.

8 8.99%
  • I don't know.

2 2.25%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Puppy sales on .org

Default Puppy sales on .org

Should puppy sales be banned again on the org?
    Personally I find that it encourages too many people to try and make some quick money whilst the local rescue places are overflowing with unwanted dogs.
    I my opinion no reputable breeder needs a forum to advertise puppies as they are sold before they are even born. So far I have not seen a single advert for kc registered and health checked pups of any breed who have been bred for temperament on here and meet all the breed standards and health requirements. (Sorry if there was any.)
    It seems that as soon as puppy sellers are asked certain questions or their breeding practices are highlighted they close the thread and start a new one.
    Recently discussions in the pet corner have been hijacked to sell puppies and genuinely concerned people have been attacked by breeders and even threatened via pm.
    Please vote have your opinion registered.

Last one I heard, £450 for a Cocker x Yorkie. Absolute nonsense. You can buy a half decent young horse for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricanna View Post
    Last one I heard, £450 for a Cocker x Yorkie. Absolute nonsense. You can buy a half decent young horse for that.
    but a least if they are stupid enough to pay that sort of money for a cross breed . then perhaps they really want a dog and will look after it. and it would not be back on here when they are fed up with it

Doubt it--they will just think that's what you have to pay for a pup if you compare it with a yorko-doodle, a cocker doo doo etc. -rip off to the public and a tragedy for the pup

Doubt it--they will just think that's what you have to pay for a pup if you compare it with a yorko-doodle, a cocker doo doo etc. -rip off to the public and a tragedy for the pup
    they are just stupid in my eye a cross breed used to be called a mongrel they people are being con by fancy celebrity names for them

Quote Originally Posted by starfish View Post
    they are just stupid in my eye a cross breed used to be called a mongrel they people are being con by fancy celebrity names for them
    Indeed. they are mongrels, they are great. they are one's pals but they should cost no more than £50 and if any breeders of same want to disagree, lets hear from you

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
    Recently discussions in the pet corner have been hijacked to sell puppies and genuinely concerned people have been attacked by breeders and even threatened via pm.
    If this is so Stefan, then maybe you should have set up your poll so that the way the voters vote is not publicised. And no nasty threats can be made.
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

Stefan Im so with you on this. Yes they should be banned on here ! It breaks my heart when so called breeders are not prepared to do all the health checks, & have done all the necessary checks of the bloodlines.

After saying this, as a buyer I would check out the pedigree myself first, & any reputable breeder would be happy for you to do this prior to buying / deposit.

Gee whizz folks, do you really think that banning puppy adverts on the org will stop people breeding puppies?. In a word the answer is no. I have bought 2 puppies from people on the org, before i even thought about buying a puppy i had to decide if i had the time to devote to all the time and training it would need and if so what size of dog i wanted. My dogs are now 4 and 5 years old and loved dearly. What amazes me is people who don't think seriously about the long term comitment that bonnie wee puppy is going to be and in some cases how large it may become. Why do the breeders always get the blame if there wasn't a market they wouldn't be breeding pups and as for all these so called designer dogs that are really mongrels the phrase a fool and there money springs to mind?

I would agree with Foxy, there are some very genuine people on the org who do their very best to provide quality dogs when they breed them, why should they all be stopped for the few.
    I think it should be at the discretion of mods, if it seems someone is endlessly advertising pups, then their bitch probably is not rested etc and they don't give a stuff about where the pups go.

What I find more concerning is the people endlessly rehoming animals time and time again then posting wanting something else and 6 months later it's advertised and looking for yet another pet.
    If you ban the sale of 1 animal all should be banned. It is not just dogs that are overbred for profit.
    I intend to breed my whippet, I went to the very best breeder and got the best of his lines. I have his full line here, does it make me a bad person that I want to breed my dog and bitch? They are an exceptional line and I believe it should be continued, I wont charge silly money no more than the original breeder of this line does, I intend to chip the pups before they ever leave me so that god forbid, there is a problem they come back to me. All health checks will be done and contracts will be drawn up about what should happen if circumstances change. I agree with the original breeder of my line that I would rather produce quality pups at a sensible price than pump out poor bred animals at inflated prices.
    @,'---.................................................. ---',@
    ~*~Believe In The Magic Of Your Dreams~*~
    ---',@................................................. . @',---

Strange analogy. We don't just buy the largest animal we can afford!

I believe that any breeder who has pups for sale should be free to place an advert for their pups however it should be mandatory that the pups, dam and sire have the relevant health tests regardless of whether they are pedigree or not. I feel that asking about why there are no heath tests is a valid question to ask and does not constitute abuse in any way, shape or form. This then leads me to belive that the breeder may be hiding other issues and i for one would certainly not have one from a litter. Even if the pup was a cross breed there are still breed standard tests that can be done on the parents to enable the pup to have the healthiest start in life. Of course there are never any solid guarantees but as a breeder you would think that whoever would want exactly that - the best life for their pups. And as a buyer folk should be aware that the breed tests are invaluable as not only reassurance that every possible step has been taken by the breeder to ensure a healthy pup but also to save thousands in vet fees in later life etc.

So after that yes i believe that pups should be allowed to be be advertised however i think it should be monitored closely. And of course if your pet were to have unwanted pregnancy then the vet can assist with abortion to ensure no more unwanted animals are brought into the world as a mistake. Then you also have the responsibility of neutering your pet prior/or after lesson learnt to this happening. Its not rocket science just good old fashioned common sense
    Last edited by caithgal; 17-Jul-11 at 05:52.

I think that people should still be able to advertise here but that it should be regulated more such as only being allowed one ad ever and in an ideal world total ban on Staffy pups ads instead more rehome ads for them. Personally I think that there are far too many back yard breeders and in an ideal world I'd like to see licences brought back for breeding and owning dogs but that doesn't seem to be happening. I'd also prefer to see people rehome rather than buying puppies or any other animal especially when it's for little kids who haven't got a clue and the adults get fed up with them then and they get passed from pillar to post.
    I rehomed a dog on here but I was clued up and knew what's what but I reckon most of the general public haven't got a clue about what they should be asking before getting a dog i.e. health tests, chipping, jags and all that sort of thing, think a lot of the time they see a cute face and bairns screaming that they want it without knowing the ins and outs, so maybe a sticky 'what to ask/do before buying a dog' may be of use.
    I also agree with those of you who mention designer dogs, I can't get my head around that, why on earth folk want to cross some of these breeds is beyond me. In the case of Staffy's I'd like to see a complete ban on the advertising of pups here and more ads for ones needing new homes as the resuce shelters are bursting with them all over the country.

I dont think the ads should be banned, but more regulated.
    i.e puppies should not go to their new homes before 8 weeks and be wormed and vet checked beforehand.
    Infact any animal being sold should not go from their mums until the minimum age recommended.
    In an ideal world the seller should be made to provide persons interested in the pups a home phone no and not just a mobile no as well as an address and offer a lifetime garantee to take the pup back if things go wrong....like thats going to happen!

I don't think banning puppy sales on the org is going to make any difference in the big scheme of things.

What is really required is a sea change in the attitude to dog breeding and ownership in the UK.

Dog breeding should be limited to registered breeders. Any dog being sold to someone other than a registered breeder should be neutered - and I know that has a knock on effect as to the age at which bitches in particular can be sold. But so what, far better that we stop the sale of "puppies" and start selling dogs, and make the breeders take responsibility for ensuring they are putting well trained animals out into society.

Dog ownership is currently far too easy, people take it on without really knowing what a full time commitment it is. Owning a dog is an expensive business and it should be made much harder to own any dog.
    The box said, "Requires Windows XP or better"...

... so I installed Ubuntu!

sweetpea staffies can make excellent family pets, i know of several that are part of families with small children are are the best behave dogs i know. Please do not slate this breed its the idiots that train them to be aggressive and badly behaved .You should be slating not the defenceless dog . most of the staffies that have turn out wrong are owned by mindless thugs and people that should not have a dog as they can not look after their selves let alone a pet

starfish, I'm not slating the breed what I'm against is breedign more of them when there are thousands already out there that need homes.

the way i read your last post was that you only mention staffies when the homes are full of all sorts of dogs large and small the same with kittens

Yes and I stand by that, nowhere did I say anything about Staffies 'as a breed' or anything about them as dogs, I have nothing against them, just that there are far too many needing rehomed, there are charities and rehome centres all over the country dedicated to rehoming 'just Staffies'. I know there are plenty of other dogs, rabbits (in fact about 35,000 needing rehomed) but unwanted Staffies and Staffie x dogs are a major problem in this country so I don't see the need to breed more of them when there are perfectly good ones out there.

i agree with that but there a grey hound rescue centre ect i think spading should be cheapper then more dogs would get dressed

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast