Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Family of Peter Calder and Margaret Miller

Default Family of Peter Calder and Margaret Miller

I am researching the family of my gt grandfather, Donald Calder b1846 in Reiss; d1936 in London. According to census information his parents Peter Calder 1812-1892 and Margaret née Miller 1824-1868 lived in Henrietta Street in Wick where he was a farmer/farm employee. They are buried in Watten.
    Donald was the third of nine children. Does anyone know anything about the other eight and their descendents?
    Martin

I had a wee look and peter and margaret had 5 children but Donald was not one of them,do you have his death cert if so was that the parents on it.

Peter is named on Donald's marriage certificate. He (Donald) left home as a teenager; I have that on a newspaper report written at the time of his retirement.
    Donald (5) is listed on the 1851 census living with Peter, whose age is incorrectly transcribed as 30 and not 38, mother Margaret (27), and siblings Christina (8) and John (7) in Henrietta Street Wick. In 1861 it's
    Peter (48), Margaret (36), Christina (18), Isabella (12), Helen (8), George (6), Margaret (4), Alexanderina (2) and Elizabeth (3 months) are living in Craigston. In 1871 it's just Peter (59), Isabella (23), Elizabeth (10) and Alexander G. (8) living in Henrietta Street, Wick (Margaret died in 1868). So in fact with Alexander who I'd previously overlooked it's 10 .
    Where did you do your "wee look"?
    Martin

I seem to have only found the children born in Craigstown,Alexanderina b1859 d 1862, Elizabeth b 1860,Christina 1842 think this is a missprint,margaret b 1856,Alexander b 1863.i got this info from IGI