Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What food do you feed your dog?

Proof of the pudding is in the eating shall we say. If the dog is healthy, the teeth are free from tartar, they are neither too fat nor too thin and the coat looks glossy, without scurf then the diet is appropriate for the dog. If the opposite is true then no matter how much the owner argues their diet is better, it isn't :P
    ¡ǝʇǝןdɯoɔ sı ǝɟıן ʎɯ - buızɐɹb sǝsɹoɥ ʎɯ sı ooן ʎɯ ɯoɹɟ ʍǝıʌ ǝɥʇ

Quote Originally Posted by Leanne View Post
    Proof of the pudding is in the eating shall we say. If the dog is healthy, the teeth are free from tartar, they are neither too fat nor too thin and the coat looks glossy, without scurf then the diet is appropriate for the dog. If the opposite is true then no matter how much the owner argues their diet is better, it isn't :P
    Yes. the proof is in the pudding, when the moribund dog who is fed bones is taken to the vet. I have no smiley to add to this, sorry.
    Last edited by _Ju_; 15-Jul-11 at 18:17.
    An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing

where do you get Kildrummie Crunch? I live in Halkirk. thanks.

I have a greyhound, and he gets three handful dry complete food and 2 tbsp tin food in the morning and evening. every other evening I replace the tin food with a tin of sardines or mackerel; sometimes I also add cottage cheese. Around mid day he gets knuckle bones I get for free from the butcher. before I go to bed I give him a special treat: I fill a real bone of about 5 inches with some small treats, seal the ends with peanut butter and put it in the freezer - this is a real winner!
    He's been a rescue dog and his coat looked rough, dry and wasn't shiny at all - now, a year and two coat changes later, it's all smooth and shiny!

Quote Originally Posted by porshiepoo View Post
    One food that I would like to get hold of up here though is called Autarky. It's not particularly expensive but I found it to be one of the best foods I'd fed them. Sadly can't get it up here though.
    You can get it delivered from here http://www.chemistdirect.co.uk/autar...FUFC4QodtihH0A
    "Until one has loved an animal part of their soul remains unawakened"

Hey just noticed this but you're probably sorted - From Hilltop Horse & COuntry in Wick - it can be delivered if you need!

I started feeding my dog a Raw diet 10 months ago, i got bones and meat from the local butchers and also fed him chicken etc. from the supermarkets, I personally found that my dogs faeces was either extremely dry or very runny. I felt he was struggling to gain weight on this diet and i was beginning to be able to see his rib bones, yes his teeth were gorgeous, coat was shiny etc. but it definitely was not the diet for him.

I have since been giving him a mix of complete biscuits and dog meat (not from tins though), he is a perfect weight for his size now and has maintained this for months, his teeth are still healthy as is his coat etc. and is faeces are well formed and not dry at all.

I personally believe that it is the owners choice to feed their dog what they like, wether that be a raw diet or dog food from the supermarket, aslong as your dog is happy and healthy and has no problems it's fine. It's really a case of trial and error and only YOU can decide was is best for you and your animal.

Default dogfood

I have 4 dogs, all of which are fed on sneyds wonder dog.
    The large dog ( sensitive tummy ) is fed on the premium variety with a mixture of either fresh chicken or fresh fish, the other 3 are fed the sneyds gold and are also supplemented with fresh fish.

i have tried a lot of complete foods and find this one creates less waste.
    Obviously the higher priced brands ie: burns, wellbeloved etc etc will be better but not everybody can afford them so you have to search around for a food in your price range and possibly supplement with fresh meat and fish.

My 2 greyhounds and Lurcher pup are all few on Burns. Lamb and rice at the moment, next time we are getting fish and rice. They have half a tin of Butchers moist food mixed in with a bit of flavour.
    ~Sarah~
    Owner of 2 greyhounds, 1 Lurcher puppy, 2 cats, 3 rabbits, 3 guinea pig's and a hamster!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123