Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Artist with designs on Caithness

Default Artist with designs on Caithness

Home is where the art is for Thurso woman Lisa Poulsen

SEEING the wonders of the world made graphic artist Lisa Poulsen realise there was no place like home and set up a business Inspired by Caithness.
    The 27-year-old, from Thurso, returned from her travels and decided, whilst on maternity leave last year, to give up her job at a local kitchen design studio to start a company that would sell her Caithness inspired art.
    Now Lisa, who turned her entrepreneurial dream into a reality with help from Business Gateway Highlands, has secured her first order from The Castle of Mey – just weeks after starting to trade in May. The historic monument’s shop will now stock the contemporary image she has produced of the castle in greeting card and mounted art format.
    The Napier University Design Futures graduate said: “The order from The Castle of Mey is great as it provides me with a platform to showcase my work to the thousands of people who visit the castle every week. My aim is to produce art that encapsulates the beauty of the landscape around me in a contemporary way, providing visitors, and locals, with an opportunity to buy something truly eye-catching that is inspired by and made in the region.
    “Travelling made me realise how important Caithness is to me, but if it hadn’t been for Business Gateway I’d not have had the confidence to go it alone. I still remember the buzz I got from attending the start up workshop – I was so excited and invigorated by it. My development officer has been wonderful. Her assistance with my business plan helped me see, in black and white, that running my own company didn’t just have to be a dream, and without the funding assistance, I wouldn’t be where I am now.”
    Jennifer Irivine, Regional Development Officer, Business Gateway - Caithness said: “Lisa’s passion for the county is instilled in every piece of work she produces. Her prints help to promote the area’s vibrancy and beauty, providing a modern and timeless souvenir of Caithness. She has taken advantage of the workshops and advice that we’ve offered, building a solid foundation for her business. With the order from The Castle of Mey, alongside selling her art at craft fairs and in Caithness Horizons, she is well on her way to becoming an established name in the local art world.”
    Lisa produces her digital art firstly by taking a photograph of a landscape or landmark. The photo is uploaded onto her laptop and is used as a template. The final illustration is produced after layers of block colour shapes – also known as vector art – are added to the image to produce a contemporary and bold reflection of the original photograph.
    The image is then turned into greeting cards or canvas prints – using the services of a local printer – or printed on acrylic panels to give a ‘floating’ effect. If a frame is needed Lisa will make it using locally sourced and recycled material.
    Alongside her art, Inspired by Caithness also offers traditional graphic design services from: producing logos, flyers and invitations to interior design, commissioned art and even tattoo design!
    She said: “I’m lucky that my degree has equipped me with so many different skills which will provide me with regular 9 to 5 work while I build my reputation as an artist.”
    And with the launch of her new website www.inspiredbycaithness.com on Friday, July 1st , Lisa is determined to ensure that her creations will help to promote the county in a fresh new light not just in Scotland but across the globe.
    She said: “Caithnessians are often told how lucky we are to have such beautiful scenery on our doorstep. My ambition is to capture that beauty and showcase it to the world and my website will help me do that. Being online will give people the chance to purchase a little piece of Caithness even after they’ve returned home, providing them with a living memory of their time in the region.”
    Business Gateway provides practical help, advice and support for new and growing businesses. To find out more about how Business Gateway can help you set up and develop your own business visit www.bgateway.com or call 0845 609 6611. Alternatively call your local office on 01955 605360.
    Last edited by Nwicker60; 11-Jul-11 at 17:09.