Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Parochial Board Hospital, Harrow Park

Default Parochial Board Hospital, Harrow Park

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone had any details, or research tips, on finding information for the Parochial Board Hospital at Harrow Park.

I have a George Young (married to Isabella Fairweather) who had been a farmer in his earlier life, but in the 1871 and 1881 census appears as "Hospital Caretaker", and in the 1891 census as "Caretaker". The Hospital paid for George's, and his wife's cemetery plot on their deaths.

On Scotlands People website, when searching the census records, I get the following...

In 1861, Goerge is a farmer.

In 1871, when searching the census, I get an image that says "Page Missing" (6 credits for this!!)

In 1881 he is given as living at "Hospital, Wick", next to the Cemetery Lodge where Magnus Sutherland was the cemetery keeper.

In 1891 he is given as living at Harrow Road, Wick.

The only thing I have been able to find so far for the Hospital is an article in the John O'Groat Journal, issue dated 3rd September 1874. The story tells of a court case against "Isabella Ross, or Keith", and "Janet Manson" who were charged with theft. Isabella Ross is the only one charged with theft of items from the Hospital, the other defendant being named for theft along with Isabella at another address.

There is also a story about the Parochial Board selling land at Harrow Park, but retaining land for the Hospital.

What I was wondering, (hope you are all still reading :-), is does anyone know how I can go about researching the hospital. I have some tantalising details from the court case, but it would be really interesting to read more. If anyone has any suggestions, I would be greatful to receive them.

Regards,
    Steven

Try the North Highland Archive in Wick they have a huge resource for research

Mosser

Thanks Mosser.

I have asked there, but there is nothing specific held for the hospital. I think the only option would be to trawl through the Wick Parochial Board Minutes, as it was they who were responsible for the management of the hospital. I'll just have to assign a lot of time to going through the records in the hope of finding some more information. Not that I expect there to be any mention of George Young, but it would at least fill in some background information for his work.

I had hoped that maybe someone had seen a mention of the hospital, or it's work, in some other records, and this would save me from a rather more vague search without knowing if there is anything to find.

Regards,
    Steven

Just thought everyone may like an update on what I have found so far about the Hospital at Harrow Park. You never know, maybe others out there are trying to track details on the Hospital too.

I've been spending the day trawling through the Parochial Board Minutes of Wick for any clue, or hint, which may give more information on the hospital. I found a few tantalising entries which I thought I would share. Unfortunately I'm doing this from memory as there was a power-cut between 4.30pm and 4.45pm which affected all of the south side of Wick (Pulteneytown), but left the north side unaffected. So I will be returning on Monday to get copies.

The first mention of a Parochial Board (PB from now on - saving time:-) Hospital that I have found so far (and I started my search at a random date because I had no clue) was on 5th September 1860. There is a mention that the PB wants to extend their rental of a "Flax Mill" for another year for use as a hospital. It doesn't indicate where the Flax Mill is situated in town, so this doesn't help other than to indicate there is no dedicated building for use as the hospital at this time.

On 3rd February 1864, after many meetings discussing the building of a poorhouse, there is mention that they have bought land from Sir George Dunbar for use as the site of building of the poorhouse. The PB later agrees that funds of up to £6000 be made available for the design and erection of the building. It states the site is to be at Moss Bank Park at Harrow, which would indicate that this is when they decided to build what would become the hospital at Harrow Park. When building a poorhouse, I've been told by the archivists in Wick that there would have also been facilities associated with the building for use as a hospital wing. The PB had also previously looked at sites around Newton Road and around Henrietta Street, and near Noss Road. The PB had also initially requested to purchase land from the British Fisheries Society for a site of the poorhouse, but after refusal the PB approached Sir George Dunbar.

Anyway, I will continue to look through the records to see what else I can find. Interestingly there are six patients listed as being at the Hospital on 4th September 1861, prior to the hospital being situated at Harrow Park, although most of the people were not local to the area. In case anyone should be researching them, the names of the patients were as follows....

Edward Killington; Kenneth McLennan, Gairloch; Marryann McLeod, Stornoway; Roderick Corbett, Eddrachillis; James Cromarty, Walls Orkney; Donald McLean, Uig

As for my ancestor, George Young, there is no mention of when he became Hospital Keeper/Caretaker, but I live in hope that something may pop up (most likely a real longshot, but I can at least hope). There is a mention of him in the Cemetery Committee Minutes of Wick PB on 30th December 1886 when he requested the fees for a cemetery lair to be waived in his case for his wife's burial.

All that is noted is "...but considering the services he has rendered to the Hospital & Cemetery, recommends that he gets his Charter free." Maybe I can keep tracking back to find something about when he was employed.

I also looked through the old maps of Wick (surveyed around 1872) and there is no mention of any Flax Mill. Does anyone have any knowledge about where this may have been situated? There was a Woolen Mill near Harrow Park, but this may just be coincidence.

Regards,
    Steven