Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Crown Hotel, Wick

Default Crown Hotel, Wick

Does the Crown Hotel at Wick still exist?

Anyone remember George Harper Campbell & his wife Henrietta Sutherland from the Crown Hotel.

Is there a photo anywhere?

There isn't a photograph of the Crown Hotel on the Johnston Collection website, but there is a photo dated between 1910 and 1919 which shows some of the employees, and two daughters of George Harper Campbell and Henrietta Sutherland.

Take a look at http://www.johnstoncollection.net/sh...crown&pindex=0

Regards,
    Steven

Thankyou Steven.
    regards
    David

Somewhere I have a photo of my Nana taken behind the bar of the Crown in about 1920. She was the daughter of George Harper Campbell and Henrietta Sutherland - Elizabeth Houston Campbell, born 1906. The Crown was sold to Henrietta's mother in law after Wick went dry in 1922 and Henrietta moved to Edinburgh with Elizabeth, Helen (Nellie) and Alexander (Sandy). Why the interest in this family? Are you related?

Linda

Hello Linda,
    My granmother was Isabell Ross Campbell b1889 in Wick. Her grandfather was Alexander Campbell b 1839 brother of David Campbell b1841. I have been researching family tree and found a reference to the Campbell family and the Crown Hotel. So decided to see if I could find out more. If you don`t mind sharing the photo I would appreciate a copy.
    Regards
    David

Sometime around 1900 my grandmother Mary Morrison worked in the Crown Hotel Wick but when she married in 1905 she was working in the Crown Hotel, Dunoon. Were the two hotels owned by the same people? I cannot think why a young woman from Sutherland would end up in Dunoon unless it was a transfer within the same group of hotels.

Marion

Default Crown Hotel

I don't think there was any connection between the two hotels and as far as I am aware the Campbells only owned the one in Wick. My understanding is that they were the owners and not just working on behalf of others.
    Still hunting for the behind the bar photo which I should have somewhere.

Linda

Dunoon attracted lots of folks from elsewhere. Eg some of my Shetland links moved to Dunoon 1800s and also my g x 2 grandfather born in Dunoon headed back to Wick in 1839 and stayed there.
    Who did Mary marry in Dunoon. I have a bit of history from there.
    Were Mary's parents born and bred in Caithness?

Quote Originally Posted by Tricia View Post
    Dunoon attracted lots of folks from elsewhere. Eg some of my Shetland links moved to Dunoon 1800s and also my g x 2 grandfather born in Dunoon headed back to Wick in 1839 and stayed there.
    Who did Mary marry in Dunoon. I have a bit of history from there.
    Were Mary's parents born and bred in Caithness?
    My grandfather James Fleming went down from Wick to Dunoon in 1905 and collected her and they were married in Glasgow before returning to Wick. Mary originally was from Oldshoremore in Sutherland. I can't think why she went to Dunoon in the first place unless it was a case of absence makes the heart grow fonder!

Marion