Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Deaths/burials in Dunnet Parish

Hi Ruth,

Was away at a family history conference over the weekend and have only now noticed your request. Yes, I do have some Stephen and one Steven entries, including your Magnus. Details as follows: -

9 May 1752: David Stephen of Dunnet - died
    19 Oct 1754: David Stephen of Nether Greenland - died
    27 Apr 1752: Janet Stephen of Upper Greenland - died
    26 Jun 1836: Magnus Stephen - 6d to ring bell
    4 May 1837: William Stephen - 6d to ring bell
    28 Nov 1808: Widow of John Steven - burial

Regards,
    John

John, this is wonderful information. I am descended from Magnus Steven and Ann Nicol from Nether Greenland. I love the 6d information as it most likely records the death of Magnus. I am still delving into the 1700s history of Steven/Stephen in Dunnet. Regard, Peter, Australia

Magnus and Ann were my 4x Great uncle and aunt but I do not have anything on their children. Would appreciate any thing you would want to share

Peter,

Glad to be of help. You are right, the 6d entry in the Kirk Session Accounts for Dunnet for Magnus refers to the fee to ring the church bell on the day he was buried in the cemetery surrounding Dunnet Church. Like my 3xgreat grandfather, Donald Durran, Magnus would, for financial reasons, almost certainly not have a headstone erected to his memory in the churchyard. These Kirk Session records are a great help in resolving dates of death for Dunnet Parish.

John

Please private message me and I will seek to add to your tree. Peter

Default Looking for George Sutherland

Hello John,

I am looking for George Sutherland. I believe that he died between 1851 and 1861 as far as I know and I believe that he might be buried their as he was living in Brough in the 1851 census.

Any help would be very gratefully received.

Thanks, Audrey

Hello Audrey,

My index only goes up to 1846. A website with a name like OddQuine has photographs of stones in Dunnet Cemetery. You could try there.

Regards, John

Quote Originally Posted by xstucker View Post
    Hello John,

I am looking for George Sutherland. I believe that he died between 1851 and 1861 as far as I know and I believe that he might be buried their as he was living in Brough in the 1851 census.

Any help would be very gratefully received.

Thanks, Audrey
    Quote Originally Posted by Durran View Post
    Hello Audrey,

My index only goes up to 1846. A website with a name like OddQuine has photographs of stones in Dunnet Cemetery. You could try there.

Regards, John
    I don't have any George Sutherland stones on my site (so they must have been illegible as I only uploaded photos on which I could read at least a name)...but I do have the Caithness MIs....and Dunnet only has three George Sutherlands.....one was practically illegible at the time of transcribing the info in the mid 1980s.

The MIs has, for that one....:- (Flat Stone (worn))__Geo Sutherland tenant Lyth died --.10.18 2/3?(?)aged 76? erected Family.

The others are :- (Flat Stone) George Sutherland, Barrock, died 3.1.1767 aged 70
    and
    (Table Stone) Alexander Sutherland, farmer, Stangergill, died 5.1798 aged 71, wife Elizabeth Miller, died 11.1790 aged 67. Sons Henry, died Millhill 6.1840? aged 76? (wife Jean Lyal died 9.5.1809 aged 30), David, farmer, Tain, died7.4.1829 aged 72 (wife Anne Swanson died 11?.12.1837 aged 77.....sons George, farmer, Tain died 13.3.1860 aged 66 (wife Ann Robertson died 24.12.1853m Son James died 25.12.1858 aged 19))

There are a few George Sutherlands in Corsback, which was the cemetery which replaced Dunnet but none of those seem to coincide with your dates.
    Last edited by Oddquine; 17-Mar-13 at 01:16.

Default forefathers

John
    The George Sutherland I was looking for was born in 1766, and because of the entry in the 1852 census I know the connection between him and my great grandmother Barbara Lewis who was born in 1849,although the census record is confusing as it says great grandfather but was he Barbara Lewis' great grandfather or her mothers great grandfather. Her mother was Barbara Oag and her father died in Nova Scotia, but although there is a definite connection between the Oag's and Sutherlands, I have yet to find a connection which I know exists between Barbara Lewis and the Spence family. Were there any Oag's or Spences in the records you have?

Regards Audrey.

Hi Durran,
    Im looking for gravestone information on my gggggrandfather James Robeson or Robertson born circa 1795 . Dont know when he died. Think they were from Canisbay/Stroma area. On his son Davids death certificate it states James was a shoemaker. Any info you may have would be appreciated Thank you!

Hi,

My database has mainly Robertson or Robeson in Dunnet and none of the other Caithness parishes. I don't have a James, born c1795. You say that you have a death certificate for his son David. It must have his mother's name on it as well as his father.

John

Thank you Durran for replying! On Davids Dc it states his parents as James Robertson {Robeson} and Margaret Sutherland.David died in 1901 aged 66, so was born around 1835. Maybe James his father was born later than 1795 im guessing as i just dont know! Hes got to be buried somewhere in the area!

I found a James Robeson and Margaret Sutherland contracted in marriage 8th December 1801 in Canisbay and then the birth of a son John to them in Stroma on 12th November 1802. I couldn't find any more children registered to them nor could I find the parents anywhere in Caithness in the 1841 census. If David was born @ 1835, I doubt if this couple would be his parents. Looking at the births registered to Robeson/Robson/Robertson in Canisbay OPR, the majority of the parents were resident in Stroma.

Rosemary

Free REG, Caithness

Thank you Rosemary! Your info is exactly the conclusion ive come too. Davids first son was called James,presumably after his father as is Scottish tradition. His second son was Murdoch, which would be the mothers father?
    Maybe as someone suggested his parents were not married , its a mystery. On Davids death certificate it states that James was a shoemaker.

HI,

I have just come accross this thread and wondered if you could look up Baikie for me. I'm interested in any George or John Baikie.

Thanks

Moira

Moira,

I'm going to send you a private message about the Baikie family links that I have. I don't know if there will be any link between the families that we are researching, but it is "just on the possibility".

Regards,
    Steven

Hi Moira,

There are 18 Baikie entries in the index. Those for George and John are as follows:-

George Baikie - 10 Dec 1805 (2/- Bell + Mortcloth)
    John Baikie - 21 Mar 1799 (2/- Bell + Mortcloth)
    John Baikie - 14 Jan 1831 (2/- Bell + Mortcloth)
    Son of John Baikie - 26 Jun 1836 (6d Bell)
    Wife of John Baikie - 14 Jan 1831 (1/6 Mortcloth)

John

Quote Originally Posted by sgmcgregor View Post
    Moira,

I'm going to send you a private message about the Baikie family links that I have. I don't know if there will be any link between the families that we are researching, but it is "just on the possibility".

Regards,
    Steven
    Thank you for the message Steven.

I have PMd you back.

Moira

Quote Originally Posted by Durran View Post
    Hi Moira,

There are 18 Baikie entries in the index. Those for George and John are as follows:-

George Baikie - 10 Dec 1805 (2/- Bell + Mortcloth)
    John Baikie - 21 Mar 1799 (2/- Bell + Mortcloth)
    John Baikie - 14 Jan 1831 (2/- Bell + Mortcloth)
    Son of John Baikie - 26 Jun 1836 (6d Bell)
    Wife of John Baikie - 14 Jan 1831 (1/6 Mortcloth)

John
    Thank you.

I will check to see if any of this ties in with my research.

Moira

Hi John

I am looking for any info on Spence family

Thanks
    Jacqui

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast