Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Staffies

Quote Originally Posted by carasmam View Post
    Not in Caithness, we were advised to wait until 12 weeks. (large breed too, so not a teeny tiny puppy)
    I apologise then as it is definately done here in Orkney

The health tests required for Staffies are - all dogs are tested or born genetically clear of L2hga and HC and all eye screened for phpv, ppsc, and litters screened at approx 6 weeks of age.

L2 Hga is a disorder of the nervous system seen in Staffordshire Bull Terriers, it usually occurs between the age of 6 months to a year but can occur later. Symptoms of the condition include; epileptic fits, wobbly gait, stiffness as a result of exercise and altered behaviour.

What causes the disease -L2Hga is caused by a mutated gene, probably arising from a single dog, but has been inherited and passed on genetically like any other gene throughout the breed.

How can we eliminate L2Hga - In order for the disorder to be affected in a dog, they must inherit two copies of the mutated gene, one from each parent. The Animal Health Trust (AHT) have identified this gene and can test your dog by a blood sample to see if it is either;

AFFECTED- inherited L2Hga gene from both parents and will be develop L2Hga and be affected by the illness.

CARRIER- inherited L2Hga gene from 1 parent will not develop L2Hga but will pass carrier gene onto 50% of its offspring.

CLEAR- inherited 2 normal copies of gene and will not become affected by L2Hga or pass L2Hga onto any of its offspring.

To eliminate the disorder all dogs should be tested making sure not to put carrier dogs to other carrier dogs as approx. 50% of litter will be affected and 50% will be carriers. Carrier dogs can be put to clear dogs and approx. 25% of the litter will be carriers, therefore the whole litter should be tested to see which pups are clear and which are carriers.

The test costs around £70 but if testing for both conditions it costs £115 (please note the prices may differ)

The mode of inheritance of PHPV is not so clear, but it is known that it is a congenital condition (present at birth) and that it is not progressive. This means that if a puppy is born with PHPV it can be detected by ophthalmic screening from 6 weeks of age and if it is affected, whatever the condition of the problem at that stage it will not change throughout the dogs life.

Either of the above conditions can be operated on, but it is a serious operation and can be traumatic and very expensive. It is not always covered by insurance due to the hereditary nature.

Even though the genetic test is now available for Hereditary Cataracts it is still important to screen for PHPV.

PPSC – POSTERIOR POLAR SUBCAPSULAR CATARACT.

This type of cataracts is found in other breeds, particularly the Labrador and Golden Retriever.
    It usually remains as a small, punctuate cataract and doesn’t usually lead to sight problems in these two breeds. It has been placed on schedule 3 of the BVA/KC/ISDS Eye Scheme because a number of Staffords that have been through the Scheme have been found to have this type of cataract. This type of cataract cannot be detected through litter screening. The mode of inheritance is unknown and has a variable age of onset. BREEDING STOCK SHOULD BE TESTED ANNUALLY TO DETERMINE THAT THE DOG IS CERTIFIED CLEAR AT THE TIME OF MATING.

Hope this helps - I copied and pasted it so any capital letters are not shouting by me lol x
    Last edited by caithgal; 11-Jul-11 at 07:34.

Quote Originally Posted by suzywonton123 View Post
    if people stop breeding staffies the breed will die out,its some of the people who get them,cute when pups,not so cute when they chew anything they get there paws on lol,i have 3 staffy pups at the moment,that will only be going to loving homes,PEOPLE NEED TO STOP XBREEDING THESE BEAUTIFUL DOGS.
    Are your puppies vet checked, hip scored, vaccinated and micro chipped BEFORE you sell them to their forever homes ?
    Do you offer FULL aftercare and are responsible for each puppy should a problem arise with its owner ??

If not then im sorry but you shouldnt be breeding !!!!

when did this forum start being about my dogs,i thought it was about people who loved staffies?,i have had staffies in my family for 20 years,my pups are big healthy pups who are looked after and only given to good homes.so lets get back to what this forum is about STAFFIES.

all buyers of my pups have been told that should they no longer want dog,it will be returned to me,but all people that get a pup have staffy experience and love the staffy,not one of my pups have been given a home locally,and no they are not microchipped as they are only 4 weeks on tuesday much to young.
    I am at a loss here. You breed but don't home them locally? Does that not tell you something ???
    Every single pup you sell will kill another staffy waiting for a home after being dumped... I couldn't sleep at night if I was breeding dogs.... I would have nightmares.... What are you going to do if you don't find homes for your three pups ? Keep them all ?

Xbreeding or pure breds, who cares, there are too many dogs and not enough responsible owners. Breeding shouldn't be an option for any responsible breeder for a fair number of years until the number of dogs killed due to not having a home is 0. Killing dogs to produce more is irresponsible, no matter what breed or crossbreed. In this day and age breeding dogs should be highly limited. I really hope people will need a license for breeding soon....

On the other hand what are we going to make dog food from if we stop having to kill dogs....oh, I am being sarcastic now. Better go bed.
    Last edited by Stefan; 12-Jul-11 at 00:17.

when did this forum start being about my dogs.
    When you threw the fact that you have puppies for sale into a heated discussion about breeding... self inflicted...sorry.

no they will not be microchipped at 8 weeks the new owners will chip them with there details,and the vet does not chip a pup at 8 weeks,my daughter had to wait to her pup was 14 weeks to have her chipped.
    As a responsible breeder any puppy you breed should be chipped with YOUR details, not the new owners. When the dog runs off and you get a phone call from the dog warden you can then tell them who the owner of the dog is. If the owner has moved somewhere else without updating their address with you, dumped the dog on purpose or had an accident etc etc the dog can the be brought back to you. You are then responsible for the dog until you can either find the owner or rehome the dog with another owner. THAT is being a responsible breeder....
    People are often embarrassed if they can't look after their dog any more or they don't give a toss. And if you don't home your pups locally do you really think that people will travel all the way back to Caithness to give the dog back? Local rehoming centre is easier and cheaper... and they won't know who you are and how to find you.

Surely if you explain to the vet that you need the pups chipped earlier they will do it. It's not a high risk procedure.

when did this forum start being about my dogs,i thought it was about people who loved staffies?,i have had staffies in my family for 20 years,my pups are big healthy pups who are looked after and only given to good homes.so lets get back to what this forum is about STAFFIES.
    Will you be carrying out all the tests as described above?

This thread was started to highlight the plight of this wonderful breed and the amount that end up on "DEATH ROW"......you saw fit to use it as a means to sell your puppies..........this thread is NOT about finding homes for puppies its FOR stopping it

Basically no, she is not a responsible breeder. A responsible breeder would be proud to announce the results of the health tests. They also would have had homes for the puppies before being born.

This kind of breeder is the reason why there are so many in rescue dying whilst waiting for a home.
    ~Sarah~
    Owner of 2 greyhounds, 1 Lurcher puppy, 2 cats, 3 rabbits, 3 guinea pig's and a hamster!

Most "private" breeders (Not saying all) are little better than back-yard puppy farmers under a different name. It all boils down to hard cash at the end of the day with limited interest in the welfare of pups or what becomes of them in 6 months or a years time.

Default staffies

have to say there is a lot of staffy experts in this forum,do any of you own a staffy,i mean pure bred staffy?,not many pure bred in this town,that is why my pups are sold else where,so they are not crossed with whatever,the owners of my pups all have staffy experience,and all pups will be returned to me if any problems,this forum is about staffies,but as usual,you decide to be idiots to someone who loves this breed of dog.
    Last edited by suzywonton123; 12-Jul-11 at 23:35.

Is that not your 3 pups on the Facebook Caithness ads page then? I was about to compliment you on how nice looking they were if it was, but if you dont sell them up here it wont be - sorry for the assumption.

It is heartening to know that the new owners can return them to you in the future if their circumstances change though
    Avoid biting when a simple growl will do

have to say there is a lot of staffy experts in this forum,do any of you own a staffy,i mean pure bred staffy?,not many pure bred in this town,that is why my pups are sold else where,so they are not crossed with whatever,the owners of my pups all have staffy experience,and all pups will be returned to me if any problems,this forum is about staffies,but as usual,you decide to be idiots to someone who loves this breed of dog.
    I dont profess to be an expert but those are the standard tests which i presume you will not be doing due to your lack of response. I would not buy a pedigree dog that hadnt been tested by at least one of those tests and more fool your buyers if they do.

Noone is debating your love of the breed as your comments reflect that however if you are breeding then why are you not doing the breed standard testing?

This discussion is not about the bloodlines of staffys, its not about how well you look after your puppies and its not about the aftercare ( or lack of ) when it comes for you to SELL your pups..........its about the plight of the staffy in society today and people who DONT think long term.........i was out for a while yesterday with my dogs and in 2 hours......2 HOURS i saw 8 staffys ( all various ages ) and not ONE was with what i would call a responsible owner.........ALL backyard breeding should be outlawed....there is no need for it when there are enough registered breeders of ALL dogs.

nobody is doubting your love of the breed suzywonton but answer this .....WHY are you breeding ? nobody can stop cruelty to dogs ( or any animal) and no breeder will ever be 100% positive their puppies will be looked after for the lifetime of the dog BUT why make it harder for the breed by flooding the market with puppies when there is no need for it.

The staffy has become a disposable commodity.....

Quote Originally Posted by caithgal View Post
    I dont profess to be an expert but those are the standard tests which i presume you will not be doing due to your lack of response. I would not buy a pedigree dog that hadnt been tested by at least one of those tests and more fool your buyers if they do.

Noone is debating your love of the breed as your comments reflect that however if you are breeding then why are you not doing the breed standard testing?
    I forgot to mention i own a staffy who was born in Staffordshire and came from a breeder who had been doing it for 35 years, he came with a 10 generation pedigree and both dam and sire were health tested......his "bloodlines" are pure and temperament exeptional.........he was CASTRATED at 7 months as i am NOT a breeder. i did not want to make money from him.

I was actualy speaking to suzy. i have seen your threads before and knew you had a staffy. I just feel that if you do breed then you should do the tests and her lack of response implies that she isnt..... but that may be wrong as its not been clarified

to the person above who thinks she is a vet,my pups have been checked by the vet and wormed twice,and now only 1 pup to find a loving home,and stefan that is my pups on caithness ads,caithness is a big place,and does not mean just wick,do they have schools in the sticks.

to the person above who thinks she is a vet,my pups have been checked by the vet and wormed twice,and now only 1 pup to find a loving home,and stefan that is my pups on caithness ads,caithness is a big place,and does not mean just wick,do they have schools in the sticks.
    You dont need to be a vet nor have the qualifications of one to know that health testing should ALWAYS be done. Your an irresponsible breeder and your love of staffies is nil as you wont even test for the basic requirements for the pups. No vet no matter how qualified can tell you the health of the pups by a check over. The tests need to be done. Shame on you

Those poor pups and poor new owners - who knows what their lives will become with you not giving the puppies the best start you can

Your not really getting the point of this discussion are you !!! you are one of the reasons there are staffies behind bars and awaiting "euthanaised".....you may be a wonderful breeder who cares and nurtures her puppies till they leave for their forever home BUT that does not mean you can use a discussion which is AGAINST random breeding to advertise and attract potential owners......if this forum even makes ONE person think twice before breeding from their family pet.........if it stops one litter from being born then it has done its job.......i do think you need to visit a rescue centre and look into the eyes of a staffy from behind bars suzy !!! LOOK at the confusion and pain in their eyes......that dog COULD quite easily be one of your puppies, can you live with yourself knowing the puppies you are responsible for could possibly ( in this climate of indiscriminate breeding highly plausable ) end up there ??? are you qualified enough to breed to maintain the positive traits in this breed ?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast