Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Staffies

Quote Originally Posted by mop top View Post
    Well look on the animals for sale section there is another stunning one off! litter of 8 been bred! I really should stop looking as it makes my blood boil, do people believe their pups are different and that stuff going on does not apply to them? 8 x £250 is a nice little earner though!
    A nice little earner for the tax man too if it gets declared...

It makes my blood boil too! The same with lurchers - another that fills the kennels (and are hard to rehome)
    ¡ǝʇǝןdɯoɔ sı ǝɟıן ʎɯ - buızɐɹb sǝsɹoɥ ʎɯ sı ooן ʎɯ ɯoɹɟ ʍǝıʌ ǝɥʇ

Well look on the animals for sale section there is another stunning one off! litter of 8 been bred! I really should stop looking as it makes my blood boil, do people believe their pups are different and that stuff going on does not apply to them? 8 x £250 is a nice little earner though!
    blood boil is an understatement Mop top.. even more so when the sellers go on about how much they love the breed. yes love it so much that they are quite happy to bring in another litter of unregistered staffies knowing fine well that those 8 pups mean the death of 8 of the 60 something staffies that get put to sleep in the UK every day. Shame on you stupid breeders - money grabbing and heartless springs to mind. Hope you are proud of yourselves.. Will you reclaim the pups that end up back in the hands of KWK9... (if they are lucky)?

it has just been brought to my attention today that there are 3 staffy bitches in pub and all put to the same stud......so very shortly there will be yet another influx of druggy idiots with ticking timebombs on a lead.......i WOULD remove a staff from a bad owner without the blink of an eye ( i have already done it ) but where do you draw the line ?? all dogs should be registered and then there may be a way of controlling at least where the puppies go ? or if they are misused then fines should be issued........a lovely pipe dream though ....

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat69 View Post
    it has just been brought to my attention today that there are 3 staffy bitches in pub and all put to the same stud......so very shortly there will be yet another influx of druggy idiots with ticking timebombs on a lead.......i WOULD remove a staff from a bad owner without the blink of an eye ( i have already done it ) but where do you draw the line ?? all dogs should be registered and then there may be a way of controlling at least where the puppies go ? or if they are misused then fines should be issued........a lovely pipe dream though ....
    Thats a bit harsh, you are stigmatising staffy ownership with druggies. Thats not fair on the dogs or responsible staffy owners. Do you stigmatise all owners with the type of dogs they have?
    Its opinions like yours that give the breed a bad name.
    I really wish people would move on and "pick" on another breed for a change.
    I am sure there are other breeds that have irresponsible owners NOT just staffies but then again that doesnt sell papers does it!!!!

I am sure there are bad breeders and owners regardless of what breed there are but you dont see much on here about Jack Russel or collie overbreeding (for example) but you see plenty of pups for sale on here, many of which are crosses,are they irresponsible too?
    Will the "org" have a go at them as well?
    The world is a system its only how you work the sytem that counts...............

Quote Originally Posted by Crackeday View Post
    Thats a bit harsh, you are stigmatising staffy ownership with druggies. Thats not fair on the dogs or responsible staffy owners.
    How many druggies do you know with yorkshire terriers, collies or labradors ?
    Unfortunately for the breed they are often picked by irresponsible dog owners :-(
    Nobody said that Staffies can't be owned by responsible owners.

Crackeday, I've met many lovely staffies and staffie owners. But from a rescue point of view, Jack Russells are easy to rehome (as are all small dogs), collies are fairly easy to rehome, but staffies take ages to rehome. This is because far too many are bred and end up on death row in pounds, which was the OP's point in starting this thread.

Default staffies

German Shepherds, Dobies & Rotties all seem to have gone thru the over breeding, dumping in rescue centres & a bad press now its the turn of the Staff, no doubt another breed will be the target of irrisponsible people, telling themselves its because they love the breed so much they must let their bitch have a litter. Breeders should be licenced & have all their puppies micro-chipped with their details.

I just watched Undercover Boss it was shocking but not surprising. Does anyone know what their revised procedure is on staffies now?

http://epetitions.scottish.parliamen...PetitionID=458

NOW tell me its not a nationwide problem with this specific breed that HAS to be addressed.........

Default Great

At long last something is being done to address this problem. I have signed hope everyone else does as well. If enough people do then hopefully the goverment will do something to sort this out.
    You can please some o the fowk some of the time, but you canna please all o the fowk all of the time.

At long last something is being done to address this problem. I have signed hope everyone else does as well. If enough people do then hopefully the goverment will do something to sort this out.
    Signed. I hope something can be done

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat69 View Post
    http://epetitions.scottish.parliamen...PetitionID=458

NOW tell me its not a nationwide problem with this specific breed that HAS to be addressed.........
    Signing and sharing, thanks for bringing this up.
    ~Sarah~
    Owner of 2 greyhounds, 1 Lurcher puppy, 2 cats, 3 rabbits, 3 guinea pig's and a hamster!

Signed and shared the epetition on FB.

Was astonished to read that over 40% of the intake at Battersea are staffie and staffie crosses. No other breed has been so disproportionately represented in the history of the dogs home (which opened in 1860).

So, Crackeday, I don't think that there is any unfairness in the amount of publicity being given to this particular breed - or, more accurately, the idiots who breed them indiscriminately.
    The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. Albert Einstein

Signed and crossposted. Thanks.

Default Staffordshire Bull Terrier Report

I wrote a Higher report on this Breed of dog. This report is to raise awareness of the positive aspects of this breed.

1. Introduction

This report is going to look into the Staffordshire bull terrier dog breed.
    This report is to raise awareness of the positive aspects of this breed, and will cover a variety of aspects. This report will be completed on the 18th of December 2009. Information to complete this report was gained from personal knowledge, pictures, a variety of web sites and various books on Staffordshire bull terriers.

1. Findings

1. History

Before the nineteenth century all kinds of terriers were bred and used for fighting in England and America. Dog fights with bears, bulls, and other animals were arranged to entertain for both royalty and commoners. An animal was brought forward in the market and was set upon by the dogs. Theses fights called ‘Blood sports’ were officially eliminated in 1835 as Britain introduced The Animal Welfare Law.
    However the owners of the terriers then found it easier and cheaper to organize dog fights so then turned to training their dogs against each other. The dogs were put into a pit whilst handled by their owners, the last dogs still fighting or still alive was classed as the winner. The terriers were bred to be as trustworthy with humans as they were aggressive toward other dogs. This sport was often used to test the quality and strength of their dog and for a way to make money (gambling).

1. Appearance

The Staffordshire bull terrier is a muscular medium sized dog with a strong athletic ability. It has a broad head, thick neck, deep chest, floppy ears, and powerfully strong jaws. It has a short coat normally colored white, black, brindle, and tan.

1. Temperament

Due to its breeding, the modern dog is known for its character of courage, high intelligence, and tenacity. Also because of its affection for its friends (and children in particular), its off-duty quietness and trustworthy stability, make it a foremost all-purpose dog. It has been said that "No breed is more loving with its family“. The Staffordshire bull terrier appeared in the top 10 breeds most suitable for families and especially children in a report researched and published by Southampton University in 1996.

1. A Family Dog

Because of his close relationship with humans the Stafford does not make a good guard dog and is not suited to being left for long periods without outside stimulation. However, beware: his friendliness to humans in general also makes him an easy target for any “dog napper”. There are frequent reports of Stafford’s being stolen from homes, gardens and cars, so great care should be taken not to leave the Stafford unattended in public.

1. Press on Bad Behavior

Since the UK Dangerous Dogs Act made it illegal to own breeds such as the pit bull terrier, the press have reported many cases of attacks by Staffordshire Bull Terriers or dogs described as a 'Staffordshire bull terrier cross' on children, adults and family pets.The RSPCA fears that breeders are re-naming pit bulls as Staffordshire bull terriers to avoid prosecution.

1. Advantages and Disadvantages

The Staffordshire bull terrier has been bred as a companion dog for many years. It is therefore a friendly loving dog and is oriented towards humans. They are very sociable and not at all shy. It will happily introduce themselves to visitors. The terrier is a fun, sporty dog, who really enjoys going for walks or running along side their owner, and it possesses great stamina when trained. One of the disadvantages is that it is a bad guard dog, if someone is looking for a guard dog to protect the house and hearth; the individual needs to look at another breed. Most Staffordshire bull terriers dislike water and a very important point to bear in mind is that a Stafford will never miss a fight. It will not fight on its own accord, but should the Stafford get involved in a fight, there can quite easily be some serious casualties.

1. Reproduction

If someone is planning to breed the Staffordshire bull terrier be aware that the whole affair can turn into a financial disaster, because under the law a breeder is liable for the quality of his puppies. It is also advisable to ensure that both animals have full papers.

1. Buying a Staffordshire bull terrier

When choosing a Stafford, it is advisable to buy a pedigree dog with papers. The question also arises as where to buy the dog; from a private person, reliable breeder, or from an animal shelter? If someone wants a puppy choose a playful, energetic housemate that finds it easy to adapt to its new environment. If someone is looking for things a bit quieter, then a older dog is essential.

1. Parasites

All dogs are vulnerable to various sorts of parasites. Parasites are little creatures that live at the expense of another animal. They feed on blood, skin and other body substances. There are three main parasites that live on animals such as:

• Fleas
    • Ticks
    • Worms

1. Health Problems

The Staffordshire bull terrier is a very healthy dog breed; however there are some health disorders such as:

• Anal Gland disease
    • Corona
    • Rabies
    • Canine Distemper
    • Kennel Cough
    • Parvo Virus
    • Weil’s Disease

1. Conclusion

From the information giving, the Staffordshire bull terrier is a muscular medium sized dog with a strong athletic ability. The Staffordshire appeared in the top 10 breeds most suitable for families and especially children, due to its high friendliness to humans and for its character of courage, high intelligence, and tenacity.
    However since the UK Dangerous Dogs Act made it illegal to own breeds such as the pit bull terrier. The RSPCA fears that breeders are re-naming pit bulls as Staffordshire bull terriers to avoid prosecution due to many cases of attacks on children, adults and family pets.
    The Staffordshire bull terrier has been bred as a companion dog for many years. They are very sociable and not at all shy and therefore a friendly loving dog. However if someone is planning to breed the Staffordshire bull terrier be aware that the whole affair can turn into a financial disaster because by law a breeder is liable for the quality of his puppies.

References:

http://calmodogtraining.com/Stafford...l_Terrier.html
    http://www.staffordwelfare.com/information.php
    http://www.staffybullterriers.com/breedinfo.html
    The Staffordshire Bull Terrier (About Pets)

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345