Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Microsoft .NET Framework 4?

Question Microsoft .NET Framework 4?

Through the Windows Update utility, I get informed that there are updates for .NET Framework 4, but I have no idea what this software does, if I need it, or even if I have it on my computer. I did Google it, but the description of what it does left me none the wiser. So any advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks.

yes you'll need it

dx
    Private Electronic Workshop in Wick - send us a PM
    **WE NOW DO REPAIRS AND CRACKED SCREENS ON MANY PHONES & TABLETS**
    PC virus/ransomware/data recovery/repair & service
    also Private marine & CB/Amateur radio repairs

Quote Originally Posted by dx100uk View Post
    yes you'll need it

dx
    Thanks, but I really was looking for more of an in-depth explanation of what it does on my computer.

As I understand it it's essentially it's a package which allows other packages to run within it, so without it some packages you may or may not use wouldn't work!! The easiest analogy I can give would be a games console - in itself it doesn't do a lot but it provides the core needs which allow the games to run.

You can get really technical on this one, it's basically similar to Java. It's a framework, virtual machine and JIT compiler. Rather than compiling code down to low level machine instructions for every operating system and architecture variation (32-bit, 64-bit, XP, Vista, 7) you just need to compile it down to the bytecode that will run within .NET so it essentially saves work and makes things more portable. It also allows applications to be written in multiple languages provided they're part of the framework, so part of the application could be in C#, part in VB.NET and part is ASP.NET.

I prefer Python myself and have some problems with .NET, you may not need it. If you try to run something that does need it your prompted to download or install it

Thanks for the info guys, even if you did bamboozle me with science (a little)...lol. I'll go ahead and install the updates.

If you haven't installed yet then try more 'bamboozlement' by doing a search on "do I need dotnet framework 4", and/or have a look at http://www.microsoft.com/download/en...ng=en&id=17851. The first few lines are:
    The .NET Framework is Microsoft's comprehensive and consistent programming model for building applications that have visually stunning user experiences, seamless and secure communication, and the ability to model a range of business processes.

The .NET Framework 4 works side by side with older Framework versions. Applications that are based on earlier versions of the Framework will continue to run on the version targeted by default.
    I get the impression that if I uninstall current versions of dotnet then install v4 it will also install any required missing bits if necessary.
    However, I have not been offered an update to v4 and if MS Windows Update considers that I don't yet need it then I shan't argue.
    ---[BJM

Just a suggestion, but I would be inclined, where possible, to let your pc decide what it wants to download.