Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: What sounds like a duck but ain't one?

Default What sounds like a duck but ain't one?

Lately I've been hearing some weird bird calls. At first I thought we had some ducks wandering around but we haven't.
    I can't see what is making the call but they sound like ducks quacking - a wah wah. Anyone shed any light on what it could be?
    We live near the coast and away from the village if that helps?
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

http://thetenaciousgardener.blogspot.co.uk/

Just half a guess here: could it be a fox?

I heard very strange duck calls in my garden and just assumed that it was a bird. I would have to say it sounded like a Canada goose trying to bark. Turns out it was the local fox doing his nightly rounds.

Have you by any chance got a starling that has learned to mimic a duck?

Gawd knows.
    I don't think it's a fox because it's during daytime and today it appeared to be coming from a bird flying over, though I couldn't see what the bird was.

Lizz, is that...........normal? lol.

I'm going to have to keep a very close eye out and try to ID it cos it's driving me up the wall now - the not knowing.
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

Lol we have starlings that mimic blackbirds, curlews and oyster catchers, can be quite off putting as one is scanning the sky and then you spot the starling sitting on the ridge!

Yes starlings imitate a lot of things in general... even car alarms.

When I were a lad, we had a local starling that mimicked my dad's whistle. Drove the dog nuts, it did.

It could well be a starling I have one that had me running inside thinking the phone is ringing until I clocke him.

Forget the fox idea. A starling sounds like a great solution to the mystery.

Well until I know differently I'll go along with the Starling idea, though I'm secretly hoping for some rare find. lol.
    Having said that I would love to witness it if this really is a Starling mimicking a Duck, I imagine it would be quite amusing.

I would say have a check out of Red throated diver. With ducks in flight its mostly Mallard that make ducky sorts of sounds.
    dafsorkneybirding.blogspot.com

We have a starling nearby that mimics, amongst other things, a cockrel AND kids scurling - he's had me running round to the back garden many a time, thinking the "WeeBurdies" are at the fighting, lol!
    WeeBurd.

Lol Weeburd hope ye're legs are no too tired!

some sort of grouse ? , just been listening to a red grouse on birds of britain iphone app, could be mistaken for a duck

Quote Originally Posted by highbury View Post
    some sort of grouse ? , just been listening to a red grouse on birds of britain iphone app, could be mistaken for a duck
    Another very good candidate!!
    dafsorkneybirding.blogspot.com