Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whaligoe steps

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Whaligoe steps

I heard a story that an english couple in ulbster are trying to lay claim to the carpark at the top of whaligoe as they say it is on their land and also the steps themselves, how ridiculous is that?
    The angry locals are up in arms.

Should be easy enough to sort out by reference to the deeds..... the land'll be registered now anyway if they're reasonably recent purchasers so anyone can examine the land records. If they own it, they own it. If they don't, they don't. It'll all be in the paperwork.

Be a bit shortsighted, though, for someone who's just moved in (if that's the case) to overturn accepted local practice. Negotiation would seem to be the way to go.

An Englishman.

If I remember right aren't the steps a wee bit away from the car park?Did the couple buy the house at the top of the steps?
    The people who bought Neisse point lighthouse on Skye tried to stop access down to it but failed miserably.Here's hoping the steps remain public access.
    Never judge someone until you have walked two moons in their moccasins.

Native American Indian saying.

Calmed down a bit now.

It is pretty damm ignorant if you ask me.
    Last edited by Naefearjustbeer; 23-Sep-06 at 18:17. Reason: calmed down

Quote Originally Posted by cuddlepop View Post
    If I remember right aren't the steps a wee bit away from the car park?Did the couple buy the house at the top of the steps?
    The people who bought Neisse point lighthouse on Skye tried to stop access down to it but failed miserably.Here's hoping the steps remain public access.
    As far as I know they have the house at the top of the steps.

Surely the fact that the steps have had public access since they were built then the status quo must remain. They would have a difficult job stopping folk from using them (legally that is) If they were to build a fence or try to block them in any way then that would be criminal. What about the folk that do maintenance on the steps what do they have to say on the matter?

Isn't there a Right to Roam in Scotland? Wouldn't the steps come under this Act? Sorry if I'm way off base here, but I'm woefully ignorant of Scottish law (colonials, you know...)

whaligoe Guest

Default Rumor & Misinformation

Hi,

I just logged on and found an absolute load of rubbish being posted about what is going on here at Whaligoe, and I'd like to put a few things straight.

1 - At no point have we ever tried to claim that the car park at the top of the steps is on our land - it is owned by the council.

2 - At no point have we ever tried to limit or cease access to the steps - the access to the steps is indeed over our land, but as we are all aware, there is a right of way, and we have never tried to stop anyone from using it.

3 - In fact, as we anticipate that much of our business for the cafe will come from visitors to the steps, the opposite is true, we would welcome any visitors that choose to come to Whaligoe.

4 - We have applied for, and received, planning permission to open a cafe in part of our house at the top of the steps - this will be something that people can choose to use or not - there is no way (and no desire) to force people to use it!

5 - We're not english, Rod is Scots, and grew up here in Caithness, and I'm Welsh / Maltese - so not a drop of english blood between us!

I don't understand how such rubbish can have been published on a public site without any attempt to check the truth of what was being said - it is very upsetting.

Whaligoe is our home, and the home of our family, and we are trying to get in place a small business which can sustain us and help us to remain in the area that we love.

K Davies & R Mann

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by whaligoe View Post
    Hi,

I just logged on and found an absolute load of rubbish being posted about what is going on here at Whaligoe, and I'd like to put a few things straight.

1 - At no point have we ever tried to claim that the car park at the top of the steps is on our land - it is owned by the council.

2 - At no point have we ever tried to limit or cease access to the steps - the access to the steps is indeed over our land, but as we are all aware, there is a right of way, and we have never tried to stop anyone from using it.

3 - In fact, as we anticipate that much of our business for the cafe will come from visitors to the steps, the opposite is true, we would welcome any visitors that choose to come to Whaligoe.

4 - We have applied for, and received, planning permission to open a cafe in part of our house at the top of the steps - this will be something that people can choose to use or not - there is no way (and no desire) to force people to use it!

5 - We're not english, Rod is Scots, and grew up here in Caithness, and I'm Welsh / Maltese - so not a drop of english blood between us!

I don't understand how such rubbish can have been published on a public site without any attempt to check the truth of what was being said - it is very upsetting.

Whaligoe is our home, and the home of our family, and we are trying to get in place a small business which can sustain us and help us to remain in the area that we love.

K Davies & R Mann
    I am so glad you read this thread and added the truth. I was just about to post a post, saying why don't all those concerned, go and find the truth instead of typing a load of speculation and rubbish!! I wish you well with the Cafe venture, and maybe if Billy Connelly visits the steps again, he might pop in to see you instead of going back to Ackergill Tower for some food!!

All the best Whaligoe!!

yes good luck with your venture hope it goes well for you both ...

Just shows how one ill-informed post can start a whole range of inaccurate and unpleasant rumours varying from racist (they're English - which we now know they're not) to luddite (we've never needed it before so why do we want it now). Just as well the majority of orgers are not like that or I'd have been gone long since. Full marks to the current owners of the house for showing a bit of initiative which I'm sure will be very welcome to all visiting the steps. I'm sure they'll be kept busy through the summer with those brave souls who make it down and back up again with their tongues hanging out.

The only place in Caithness that I've encountered racism is on this forum. Obviously only from a small minority but, as an English incomer, it does emphasise that I'm still an outsider and always will be.
    The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

The only place in Caithness that I've encountered racism is on this forum. Obviously only from a small minority but, as an English incomer, it does emphasise that I'm still an outsider and always will be.[/quote]

lucky you Badger. i'm afraid its out there much more than you've encountered. Its something that i hear alot although in an indirect manner to myself. my mother and my in laws are from sooth of the border and although they've all lived up here longer than i've been alive its a fact they are English. I'm Caithness born and bred and people asume its okay to spout off about 'The English' just because i've got a Scottish accent i will join in. It used to annoy me terribly as my mum is one of the kindest souls i've ever met. But now i just enjoy asking if they've met every single English person out there and were they all so bad. Its ignorant. Ignorance isn't bliss sometimes when i get on my high horse!

the forum can be skewed to state rather strong views due to the fact people are on here under a log in name and its easy to spew out strong views when you don't have to be face to face with your subject.

i'll now get down from this high horse. its giving me a nose bleed being so high up.

i think the community should support a new venture and since Whaligoes response they seem to be. I hope they do good scones and i'll be by to test them out. All e best.
    I am the sundance kid, coming to you with a groove and a positive

Quote Originally Posted by Abdullah View Post
    I heard a story that an english couple in ulbster are trying to lay claim to the carpark at the top of whaligoe as they say it is on their land and also the steps themselves, how ridiculous is that?

and people wonder why the scots look so dimly upon the English sorry I think their a little bit arrogant

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbyian View Post
    and people wonder why the scots look so dimly upon the English sorry I think their a little bit arrogant

Read the post above yours and you will see that they are not in fact English so your comment is inapropriate.

Thanks Whaligoe for clearing the matter up, look forward to visiting the steps when the weather is better Wish you all the best with the cafe
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing. But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Default Cafe At Whaligoe

Once the cafe is ready to go don't forget to let us know here at the web site and we will make appropriate announcments that you are up and running.

Also take advantage of the free business page by completing the online for at http://www.caithness-business.co.uk/submit_details.php

Good luck with your new venture

Bill Fernie

I think it's a great idea - anything that encourages tourism - good luck with the venture - I hope it works out. Keep us posted!

Whaligoe is a beautiful place. Good luck with the cafe. I sure could have used a cuppa after racing Sassylass back to the top! Whew.

Quote Originally Posted by changilass View Post
    Read the post above yours and you will see that they are not in fact English so your comment is inapropriate.

Thanks Whaligoe for clearing the matter up, look forward to visiting the steps when the weather is better Wish you all the best with the cafe
    I accept and apologise for offering my opinion to the apearence of the thread at the time of writing. I`m grateful that `Whaligoe' could clear it up. and I thank you for pointing out my misdeamer

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Abdullah View Post
    They're Not Trying To Get a Cinema In Thrumster as Well Are They?

Quote Originally Posted by futurelegends View Post
    They're Not Trying To Get a Cinema In Thrumster as Well Are They?
    dunno about that but there used to be some great dances in thrumster hall.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast