Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: "cash for life"

Default "cash for life"

Has anyone had phone calls 'offering' them - as one of 25 properties in the area to receive up to £60.000. Had 2 calls within 2 minutes.

Interested to hear if anyone can tell me what this scam is about

had similar ones lately

had some about winning a mobile and i just say no bank account and they hang up

Are these phonecalls showing up as "International"?
    Animals I like, people I tolerate.

Default Re: "cash for life"

Quote Originally Posted by janette
    Has anyone had phone calls 'offering' them - as one of 25 properties in the area to receive up to £60.000. Had 2 calls within 2 minutes.

Interested to hear if anyone can tell me what this scam is about
    I got one of these yesterday afternoon, the old 'it's a rented house' seems to clear the line..

I had one of these calls. As soon as it came through I sussed it was some sort of con so I let them prattle on for quite a while before I hung up on them. I had nothing on at the time so I was quite happy for them to run up a phone bill calling me before I informed them I wasnt interested. That way they might not bother calling me again as I will be marked down as a time waster on the calling list.

A tried and tested theory which seems to work is that when you realise they're telemarketers, ask them if they "know Jesus." In a really enthusiastic way.

Or tell them that the Dali Lama would like a word...

It usually gets them worried and only once did I actually have someone who waited on the line for the Dali Lama. Wonder if he's still at the desk waiting patiently with his lil headset and computer screen shining in his face... lmao

Ok, I think I've been at these boards for far too long!

Default Cash for life

No problem to end the call, I was just curious as to what it was all about. The callers had, probalby Inverness or Black Isle accents.

I have fun asking the callers questions. Fair puts them off.

I had one of these last night. I had previously put a stop to this through BT last year so i was a bit curious. I also let them prattle on for a good 5 minutes before i asked where they got my phone number from. At this point they suddenly hung up on me. when i dialed 1471 i was told that they did not have the number to ring back.

I thin i will contact BT again to make sure that they have not allowed my number to be used for telemarketing again.

We got a funny call the other night saying 'there's a new message in your mailbox press * to hear it' - i just hung up cos i thought it'd be a con as we ain't subscribed to any kinda voicemail service.

Gravedigga

I think that happens if someone sends a text message to your home phone number. It speaks it to you in an automated voice. Gave me quite a start . I couldnt figure out whos voice it was until i listened to the whole thing and realised that the number it was sent from was read out at the end of the message

Very odd!!!

Ahh right, cheerz squidge

I thought it was one of them dodgy calls, where if i pressed * i'd get charged about £1.50 a minute, worst is you can never be too sure these days.